Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Nothing drives me more bonkers than the guys that feel that need to unnecessarily slash as a form of playing defense. I am not talking stick checks or even when you have the puck, but when guys think they are getting position or establishing their presence by tomahawking your stick.

I had this happen just night as I was skating through the neutral zone and called for a pass. Defender turns as I skate by him (with another play still having the puck) and just ax chops my stick and considered it playing good D.

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
Nothing drives me more bonkers than the guys that feel that need to unnecessarily slash as a form of playing defense. I am not talking stick checks or even when you have the puck, but when guys think they are getting position or establishing their presence by tomahawking your stick.

I had this happen just night as I was skating through the neutral zone and called for a pass. Defender turns as I skate by him (with another play still having the puck) and just ax chops my stick and considered it playing good D.

I know, right? I was playing the other day trying to establish position in the offensive zone, and people were whacking me across the arms and hands. Lift my stick, shoulder me out or push my upper back. You can even call me a weiner if you want. But don't hack at my hands, people.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
Last week 5 minutes into the game a defender skates up to me and crosschecks me while I'm in front of their goal. He lined up his fist with my chest. It was incredibly malicious, I was too caught off guard to even get angry plus it knocked the energy right out of me. It just about knocked me off my feet. I still feel pressure in my chest. I can't understand why anyone would do that. Is there anything I can do about it?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Last week 5 minutes into the game a defender skates up to me and crosschecks me while I'm in front of their goal. He lined up his fist with my chest. It was incredibly malicious, I was too caught off guard to even get angry plus it knocked the energy right out of me. It just about knocked me off my feet. I still feel pressure in my chest. I can't understand why anyone would do that. Is there anything I can do about it?

I took my first cross checking penalty the other night. I don't take a lot of penalties, but it was a fairly intense game, close and both teams wanted to win. Some dude parked himself where he shouldn't have, decided to set up camp and I was just looking to let him know I was there and to help him on his way to someplace else.

Didn't hit him hard or anywhere where it might hurt him, but he went down. I was a little surprised at the call because he went down because of his poor balance, not because I hit him with any gusto, just a little bump..or two..love taps.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Here's a unique complaint...

We're 5 games into the current season and the championship game for the prior season still hasn't been played. There was a certain faith's holiday that fell on the scheduled semifinals date (finals to be played later that night), and the team we played in the semis asked to have it rescheduled. That was no problem, but we ended up having about 4 dates refused and pushing the whole thing back a week. The worst part is we all had the week prior to the holiday OFF, and if they'd realized that ahead of time we could have stayed on track.

They were a stacked team and we surprisingly took them out, after also surprisingly taking out the 1st-seed team who was undefeated. They both are playing down, and we're known to be a good, grinding, teamwork-focused team. They have superstars who just blow everyone away. I happily admit that we were lucky to get by either of them, let alone both.

The championship from that season is tentatively set for Nov. 11 now (lol) as we're having trouble getting the other team who advanced to agree on a date. They might have also noticed that we're on a roll after having major struggles early last season, and they're uncharacteristically struggling now after being on a roll for most of last season. I'd just like to get on with it already!

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I took my first cross checking penalty the other night. I don't take a lot of penalties, but it was a fairly intense game, close and both teams wanted to win. Some dude parked himself where he shouldn't have, decided to set up camp and I was just looking to let him know I was there and to help him on his way to someplace else.

Didn't hit him hard or anywhere where it might hurt him, but he went down. I was a little surprised at the call because he went down because of his poor balance, not because I hit him with any gusto, just a little bump..or two..love taps.

A real intense beer league game...Hitting people in a recreational league is ridiculous. It's even more cowardly because people aren't expecting it. What might be light to you may not be to a 45 year old that has to go to work in the morning. You missed the bus to play pro man, let it go lol.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
A real intense beer league game...Hitting people in a recreational league is ridiculous. It's even more cowardly because people aren't expecting it. What might be light to you may not be to a 45 year old that has to go to work in the morning. You missed the bus to play pro man, let it go lol.

I guess you had to be there. It wasn't a dirty game, but it was up tempo and the other team were pushing hard. We were; and they were, playing to win. Got nothing to do with pretending it's the NHL, but it does have to do with competing hard, no different to running up a steep hill with your jogging partner. You ain't headed to the Olympics but you still want to bust it and beat each other.

I make no secret about playing to my strengths and playing to the limits I can get away with and don't apologise, just like I don't expect a guy who's faster to apologise for beating me. Good on them; just like it's not my fault if I'm bigger and stronger than someone. Of course I'm gonna use it a little. Haven't hurt anyone yet and haven't ever tried to..but it's still hockey; and you're gonna get tested occasionally. Guys do have a go and are welcome to try me out..good luck to em. If I get tagged, I'll shoot the breeze and have a beer after no problem..good shot buddy..and there's nothing cowardly about it.

..and I still gotta gotta go to work too. There's always miniature golf and tennis if hockey's not some peoples's thing. I think I've had three penalties in like 25-26 games this year, that's a lot less than some guys probably playing a style more to your liking but who get called because they can't stop in time or who trip people up through ineptitude. If you fall I'll catch you.

Last edited:

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Disappointing game last night. The opposing team was having a tough time filling out a roster on Hallowe'en and had to get a bunch of subs in. At one point there wasn't a single regular player on the ice for them and for the most part their subs were a few levels higher than our division level. They toned it down a bit after they got a couple goal lead but it's pretty frustrating losing to a team made up almost entirely of higher level subs.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Disappointing game last night. The opposing team was having a tough time filling out a roster on Hallowe'en and had to get a bunch of subs in. At one point there wasn't a single regular player on the ice for them and for the most part their subs were a few levels higher than our division level. They toned it down a bit after they got a couple goal lead but it's pretty frustrating losing to a team made up almost entirely of higher level subs.

At least you get a game..better than a default or no shows..nothing worse than that.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
At least you get a game..better than a default or no shows..nothing worse than that.

For sure, and that's what happened to the other game in our division last night (forfeit). At least they got to keep the ice time for a practice/shinny though.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO

Crosschecking in men's league? Impressive.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
You guys must play in some very laid back places. Half the games at my rinks, you'd think some guys are trying to kill each other.

Pasquatch

Dec 12, 2013
Crosschecking in men's league? Impressive.
I know, right?

It Never fails to impress me that if an opposing player would screen your goalie, any level of retribution is acceptable.

Punches to the back of the head, slashes, cross-checks, elbows to the face, cup checks...I've seen all of these in low level beer league...

How hard is it to push the guy out of the way?

Last edited:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
but do either have any place in beer league hockey?

That all depends on your opponents. If they're up for imposing themselves a little physically and wanting or trying to play physical, it's gonna be a two way street. Doesn't mean you're out to hurt anyone. Just don't anyone be playing and complaining every time someone even breathes on you as some are apt to. It's still hockey.

There's always some guys on the other team wanting to play a little harder too. Doesn't mean any non combatants are gonna get cleaned out or run over, but I see more aggression or intent from guys angry that someone dared to bump them just a little, even when it's accidental. They're the guys more likely to do something dumb and injure someone.

Last edited:

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
Didn't you say your guy fell because he has no balance on his skates? That's the kind of guy you need to cross check? Lol.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Happens a lot in ball hockey too where no one has any protective equipment.

The absolute worst league I've ever played in was a ball hockey league. I think it was mostly guys who had never played real hockey in their life, so their form of defense was swinging their stick wildly at anything that moved. Thankfully I wore gloves. I didn't wear them for protection honestly, I just can't stick handle as well without them. I was honestly tempted to break out the shin pads too after the first game. It was incredible how many slashes and hacks went uncalled.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Didn't you say your guy fell because he has no balance on his skates? That's the kind of guy you need to cross check? Lol.

Some people are a little pre-occupied with terminology. There is no such penalty for 'cross-pushing'. It's all cross checking unfortunately. Just like some guys get called for 'tripping' or 'interference', not because they did anything intentional, but for poor stick work or because they can't stop or take evasive action to avoid a collision. There's a big difference between that and hacking someone down or running someone away from the puck, but the call's the same.

'Beer league' or whatever, hockey is a contact sport, checking or 'non checking'. It's still surprising how many play 'hockey' who really appear to have no stomach for or are outraged at any form of contact.

For all this, I haven't actually come across an opponent complaining as much. Usually it's just a sly little slash to the legs in response or a bit of an elbow on the way past from them..and everyone shakes hands afterwards.

Last edited:

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
'Beer league' or whatever, hockey is a contact sport, checking or 'non checking'. It's still surprising how many play 'hockey' who really appear to have no stomach for or are outraged at any form of contact.

I agree. No matter how conservative the rules are, people are going to push the boundaries of what is allowed in order to get an advantage. That's just human nature. Unfortunately, you kind of have to expect the worst out of everyone. It's not right, but that's the way it is.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal

welcome to beer league hockey, where 1/3 of the penalties you take are because of peoples inability to skate :laugh:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I agree. No matter how conservative the rules are, people are going to push the boundaries of what is allowed in order to get an advantage. That's just human nature. Unfortunately, you kind of have to expect the worst out of everyone. It's not right, but that's the way it is.

Incidental contact you can expect in a non-contact league.
However, having a guy step into you and stand you up at the blue line when you try a simple dump and chase is not what you expect.

Nor is the concussion as a result of it and the missed days of work following.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad