Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccarrigan

May 2, 2013
I was chasing a puck possessing opponent out of his zone and along the boards and was close on his heels stride for stride. His teammate didn't like this and cut in between us and nudged me into the boards to set his guy free. Isn't that interference? The guy made no effort to play the puck--he clearly just wanted to stop me from chasing his teammate.

Would his actions ever get called a penalty in beer league hockey game or is it just a good strategic play on his part that I should adopt in my own game?

That is indeed interference. It may or may not be called depending on the situation. And don't let that stop you from integrating it in to your game! ;)

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
That is indeed interference. It may or may not be called depending on the situation. And don't let that stop you from integrating it in to your game! ;)

I agree! I do that a non-touch versionof taht A LOT, it's very effective. Just get in the way to be in the way. Give your teammate the room to take a couple steps, and if the other guy skates into you that's his problem.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I was chasing a puck possessing opponent out of his zone and along the boards and was close on his heels stride for stride. His teammate didn't like this and cut in between us and nudged me into the boards to set his guy free. Isn't that interference? The guy made no effort to play the puck--he clearly just wanted to stop me from chasing his teammate.

Would his actions ever get called a penalty in beer league hockey game or is it just a good strategic play on his part that I should adopt in my own game?

It's technically interference. Depends on how slick he is and how hard you're skating whether or not they call it. Good play if you get away with it.

hilega

Dec 6, 2012
400sCapsShootTwice
F* You Ref

I am on a new team made up of "free agents" from a waiting list in a low level bronze 3A league (Gold, Silver 1,2,3, Bronze 1,2a,2b,3a,3b,4). Apparently one of our teammates told the ref to f* off at the beginning of the game after receiving some verbal harassment from said ref. We then proceeded to receive eight penalties including two five on threes and the opposing team received zero penalties. The young 20-something ref decided to tell us this after the game and said he deliberately called no penalties on the other team. We lost 0-5 and are probably a level above where we should be. At first we thought it was new-team hazing by the refs, but it was ridiculous how bad these kids (the refs) needed to prove how much cooler and better they were than some adult bronze leaguers. The proper action would have been to call over the team captain and address the issue. The refs were barking at our team and using the same language that offended them so much the whole game and kicking out the center about every face off. At least a handful of our guys hadn't played an actual refereed game ever or in several years, so the refs let them have it when they weren't exactly lined up right on a face off or made slow changes on a stopped clock. Otherwise, we had fun...:shakehead

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
I just signed up for my first adult league play. Its C/D level play in the NESHL (South of Boston division).

After reading a ton of thread posts, and given the title, I'm wondering if Im even going to like league play vs pick ups which i really like.

The reason I'm going league one night a week is because I just played my first tournament (Stinky Socks, Quincy) and loved the competitive and more physical nature of it as compared to pick up.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I just signed up for my first adult league play. Its C/D level play in the NESHL (South of Boston division).

After reading a ton of thread posts, and given the title, I'm wondering if Im even going to like league play vs pick ups which i really like.

The reason I'm going league one night a week is because I just played my first tournament (Stinky Socks, Quincy) and loved the competitive and more physical nature of it as compared to pick up.

I think you need both. Don't think I'd be too happy just playing pick up, even though I prefer it. League hockey frustrates the hell out of me at times, but it is different in a proper game environment with that competitiveness and physicality.

The league play benefits my pick up and the pick up benefits my league play.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
I am on a new team made up of "free agents" from a waiting list in a low level bronze 3A league (Gold, Silver 1,2,3, Bronze 1,2a,2b,3a,3b,4). Apparently one of our teammates told the ref to f* off at the beginning of the game after receiving some verbal harassment from said ref. We then proceeded to receive eight penalties including two five on threes and the opposing team received zero penalties. The young 20-something ref decided to tell us this after the game and said he deliberately called no penalties on the other team. We lost 0-5 and are probably a level above where we should be. At first we thought it was new-team hazing by the refs, but it was ridiculous how bad these kids (the refs) needed to prove how much cooler and better they were than some adult bronze leaguers. The proper action would have been to call over the team captain and address the issue. The refs were barking at our team and using the same language that offended them so much the whole game and kicking out the center about every face off. At least a handful of our guys hadn't played an actual refereed game ever or in several years, so the refs let them have it when they weren't exactly lined up right on a face off or made slow changes on a stopped clock. Otherwise, we had fun...:shakehead
Ref should have just given the guy who told him to F-off a 10 min misconduct, told the captain to settle his team, and then let it go. Unless of course the rest of the team was verbally abusing him, but the way you describe it sounds like it was just one guy who flew off the handle and the ref made your whole team pay.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
I think you need both. Don't think I'd be too happy just playing pick up, even though I prefer it. League hockey frustrates the hell out of me at times, but it is different in a proper game environment with that competitiveness and physicality.

The league play benefits my pick up and the pick up benefits my league play.

This makes sense and is what I'm hoping for.

hilega

Dec 6, 2012
400sCapsShootTwice
Ref should have just given the guy who told him to F-off a 10 min misconduct, told the captain to settle his team, and then let it go. Unless of course the rest of the team was verbally abusing him, but the way you describe it sounds like it was just one guy who flew off the handle and the ref made your whole team pay.

We never got a number and no one really owned up to anything in the locker room. New team, first time playing together and everyone seemed pretty easy going and there just to have fun. The consensus was that it was kind of said under the player's breath and not in the ref's face. Either way, the captain was not consulted at all. Again, we have a lot of new guys and no one was out for blood. Live and learn I guess.. I think the captain needs to be more assertive with communication and probably assign some "A"s to be able to talk as well if we have future problems, but I don't anticipate any issues with our team.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
The last reply to this was a good minute ago but I manage a summer league team that cant play during the fall and winter seasons due to school, juniors, and other restrictions. We have a mix of skill levels from high end junior level talent to guys who played varsity to guys who only started skating a few years ago. But we are all friends and hangout off the ice and it's all in good fun. This opposing team I will discuss had all of their players played on varsity teams throughout the state.

We had some real beef with this team last year and ended up playing them for the championship. Blahblahblah they changed their team name and came in with a couple different skaters but the core guys were the same coming into the year. My team only had seven skaters when we played them two weeks ago because ALL our subs fell through last minute. It was a real shame and we lost handedly as a result. Our games last summer season got real chippy, there were several, several fights. People storming each others locker rooms after the game it was a real cluster of fudge to be honest. Anyway new season, let bygones be bygones and all that.

Anyway, our rink has four locker rooms for the south rink and each two locker rooms share a shower. This opposing team was in the locker room across from us and they got done with their game as we were getting onto the ice. Some guys on my team drank a beer before the game--- 6 total (how many cans we had kn our recycling container) and when we got back there were only 4 beers left. It started off as a 24 pack. There were 12 beers stolen from our locker room by them.

You do not steal beer from a team in a god damn beer league regardless of whatever previous beef we have had. It is classless and disgusting.

Anyway. I'm pretty riled up about this because there is a huge amount of principle involved here. Im not that mad because its like $10 worth of beer but who does that?

We won't play them again until next year, but I'm pretty sure next year we are clearing the benches in a huge brawl. It is going to get ugly. Plus it beats out other forms of immature retaliation and at least this way we will settle it on thr ice.

My. Today has been frustrating.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I am going ****ing crazy.

I moved from a big city that had three ice rinks, one roller rink, and an active street/ball hockey league to an area with none of that. I only get to play roller in a building at the fairgrounds once a week.

I went from playing five days (3 ice, 1 roller, 1 ball) a week to one, if I'm lucky. Some days, the fairgrounds building is rented out and we get bumped.

And don't get me wrong, roller is better than nothing, but I haven't been on ice in 3 months now. It's not right.

I'm about 4 hours away from the nearest ice rink and I'm gonna take a small roadtrip to get some time in here soon, but this lack of hockey is hitting me harder than I thought.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often

I moved from a big city that had three ice rinks, one roller rink, and an active street/ball hockey league to an area with none of that. I only get to play roller in a building at the fairgrounds once a week.

I went from playing five days (3 ice, 1 roller, 1 ball) a week to one, if I'm lucky. Some days, the fairgrounds building is rented out and we get bumped.

And don't get me wrong, roller is better than nothing, but I haven't been on ice in 3 months now. It's not right.

I'm about 4 hours away from the nearest ice rink and I'm gonna take a small roadtrip to get some time in here soon, but this lack of hockey is hitting me harder than I thought.

Had to move? Chose to move?

A rink is about the only or biggest criteria I'd have if I ever wanted to or had to move. First thing I'd be doing is finding out about the rinks. No rinks/hockey = no move, regardless of the rest.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Had to move? Chose to move?

A rink is about the only or biggest criteria I'd have if I ever wanted to or had to move. First thing I'd be doing is finding out about the rinks. No rinks/hockey = no move, regardless of the rest.

Chose to move. I'm in a better job (more money, less work), in a fantastic area (was a place I dreamed of living as a kid), in a way better house. The only real negative to the move was the hockey situation, and I completely underestimated how big an impact it would have.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
3 rinks is a big city?

RIP USA, I'm glad I live in "little" Winnipeg with our 20+ Arenas.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
3 rinks is a big city?

RIP USA, I'm glad I live in "little" Winnipeg with our 20+ Arenas.

That would all depend on if it was a hockey city of not. A city with 20 rinks could still have higher usage or demand for rinks than a city with just 3. Nothing to do with size or population.

clayman

Apr 22, 2012
Tigard, Oregon

You're in Portland? There are a number of rinks in the area, and in Vancouver, WA. Are you in an area further south. Medford?

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Same old story: a ringer playing at least 3 divisions down won the game for the opponent in a rookie league last night. :(

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
havent played in 6 weeks due to knee pain/instability, getting back on the ice tonight to play against my old team. should be a **** show :laugh:

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Had position on the boards about to play the puck, guy bull rushes me and connects either head or shoulder to my head. Saw double for about 30 minutes, headache that won't go away, and everything is damn bright. Pretty sure its a concussion.

He knew he was wrong, immediately after he said "I was playing the puck." I looked back and said "Yeah, after you ran me." It's a dead giveaway when someone tries to justify/excuse what they did.

I use the Bauer 4500, thinking about getting a better helmet now. :(

I removed myself from the game - there was only 1:30 left and we were down by 2.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Had position on the boards about to play the puck, guy bull rushes me and connects either head or shoulder to my head. Saw double for about 30 minutes, headache that won't go away, and everything is damn bright. Pretty sure its a concussion.

He knew he was wrong, immediately after he said "I was playing the puck." I looked back and said "Yeah, after you ran me." It's a dead giveaway when someone tries to justify/excuse what they did.

I use the Bauer 4500, thinking about getting a better helmet now. :(

I removed myself from the game - there was only 1:30 left and we were down by 2.

A helmet (or a better helmet if there really is such a thing) won't really protect you much from a concussion, which is caused by your brain rattling around, but it will protect you from cuts or cracking your skull and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad