Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
My team got bumped up to D1 from D2 this year, and for the most part it's been pretty good, we can beat every team but 1 who was demoted from C2 to D1 and so far basically destroys us.. It's annoying because it's a team where half the guys are C level players and the rest are D, so they dominate because of those few players, but because of the D players they just aren't quite good enough to stay in C i guess.

So tonight we played them and they had a guy on their team playing who was really, really good. My buddy pointed out to me the guy had no sticker on the back of his helmet (just a physical way of telling you've paid/registered to play in the league basically).. Next shift the guy blows buy everyone and scores.. Normally I probably wouldn't give a damn if someone came into play unregistered for a short team but since they had a full bench and we were short with only 3 extra guys, in frustration I mentioned to the ref "why doesnt 5 have a sticker?" .. the ref skated up behind him at the faceoff and double checked and then sent him off the ice to go get one if he was really registered like he claimed. He came back a while later with one and was allowed to play. Sure enough he got a few goals and assists. I checked our game sheet online after the game and sure enough, he's not signed in on it and his number doesn't exist on that teams seasons roster.
So basically a clear cut ringer and the most likely high school student working the arena office just gave him a sticker because she doesn't care.

We lost 10-7. Aside from the fact it was a game where both goalies didn't make many saves so who really knows, but without him we probably would have finally beat that team. It's so annoying.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah that sucks. I've been lucky so far in my league that stuff like that has been kept to a minimum, ostensibly because they self-consciously founded this league with the goal of it not being one of those crappy ones where stuff like that happens all the time.

That said, I could theoretically imagine something like that happening, especially when a lot of the refs, players, "coaches", and arena employees are pals and have known each other through the league for years. So far, so good, though...

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
My team got bumped up to D1 from D2 this year, and for the most part it's been pretty good, we can beat every team but 1 who was demoted from C2 to D1 and so far basically destroys us.. It's annoying because it's a team where half the guys are C level players and the rest are D, so they dominate because of those few players, but because of the D players they just aren't quite good enough to stay in C i guess.

So tonight we played them and they had a guy on their team playing who was really, really good. My buddy pointed out to me the guy had no sticker on the back of his helmet (just a physical way of telling you've paid/registered to play in the league basically).. Next shift the guy blows buy everyone and scores.. Normally I probably wouldn't give a damn if someone came into play unregistered for a short team but since they had a full bench and we were short with only 3 extra guys, in frustration I mentioned to the ref "why doesnt 5 have a sticker?" .. the ref skated up behind him at the faceoff and double checked and then sent him off the ice to go get one if he was really registered like he claimed. He came back a while later with one and was allowed to play. Sure enough he got a few goals and assists. I checked our game sheet online after the game and sure enough, he's not signed in on it and his number doesn't exist on that teams seasons roster.
So basically a clear cut ringer and the most likely high school student working the arena office just gave him a sticker because she doesn't care.

We lost 10-7. Aside from the fact it was a game where both goalies didn't make many saves so who really knows, but without him we probably would have finally beat that team. It's so annoying.

I find myself saying all too often "what is the point of having the rules if they are not enforced."

I played on a team a few years back in an A/B league that was one of the better B level teams, but we usually got smoked when we played the A level teams. During the season, we were playing the top team in the league and we must have caught them on an off night, because we were filling up their net. In their minds, the only way this was possible was that we had to have some ringers. We didn't but, the officials stopped the game and had us go to the locker room to grab our IDs to check against the roster... After a 20 minute delay it was finally decided that everything was on the up and up (we ran up the score out of spite).

Fast-forward a couple months to the playoffs when we play the same team and we don't recognize a single player on their team during warm-ups. We immediately asked the ref - the same ref who delayed the previous game - to check their roster. He refused... Did I mention the league director played on this team?:sarcasm:

Naturally, after we lost the game calls to the league were not returned.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah, that's ****ing ********. Again, I hope I'm not jinxing it, but the higher-ups in my league seem to be genuinely of the opinion that that kind of stuff is shameful, and they make every effort to avoid it. I think I mentioned it in another one of these threads, but they have all sorts of rules that on the surface, look a bit like nitpicky housecleaning: everyone has to be wearing the same jersey, your equipment (helmet/gloves) all has to match in color, you have to have your last name (no nicknames) on the back of your jersey, etc.... and if you don't, they won't let you play. As I say, it kind of "feels" like they're just trying to make everything look respectable, but in reality I'm absolutely sure it's so no teams try any of this tomfoolery where a captain on a D-level team gets his cousins who played Junior A to run up the score without the refs knowing what's up. To paraphrase the novice-league coach, that's no fun for the actual D-league guys, and you really hope it's no fun for the ringers, either.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I'm absolutely sure it's so no teams try any of this tomfoolery where a captain on a D-level team gets his cousins who played Junior A to run up the score without the refs knowing what's up. To paraphrase the novice-league coach, that's no fun for the actual D-league guys, and you really hope it's no fun for the ringers, either.

Yet it happens all the time. I still can't wrap my head around what is in it for those guys.

(Talking to himself while admiring his triple hat-trick on a D-league score sheet) "You've still got it, Trevor... You've still got. I told that junior coach he'd be sorry for sending me home!"

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We were beating a team in the B/C playoff game. I steal the puck from a guy and he grabs me and pulls me down from behind. He gets a penalty and as I get up he yells you f****** suck and you are a p*******. I said really you pulled me down and still fell down? What makes you so good? I played in the minors he yells out. The ref laughs and says well if that case get off the ice you should be in the A league then where I play with all the ex pros, junior , and college players. He said you sure don't play like you played minor league hockey. You just feel down obstructing a player from the puck. The irony was this guy was trash, and the guy didn't say another word and went to the box. Then the score keeper says it is the players third penalty and ejects him from the game. He goes crazy and starts shouting all kind of foul stuff at me and the team. WE laugh and enjoy the 5-0 easy win. Ironically our win caused them not to make the playoffs, but they were nice besides him. They joked about their minor league ringer.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I play in a pick up group two nights per week. Same 20 guys every week. Al levels and very clean play. It's not super serious but it's the same players on white and darks each time also. Tonight I blatantly hooked a guy tonight pretty good to keep him from getting to a loose puck. He is the head guy of this pick up league. I doubt it hurt but it definitely did the job. He turned around and said "hey watch the hooking man". I just laughed it off. But it totally made him mad and put him off his game. I did not apologize.

Anyway, for people who play in similar style games is this the same as screening goalies in pick up games - something you just don't do? Was I a total d*** for doing it? Not going to loose sleep but curious what protocol is as I've only been playing two years.

You're not a total dick for doing that, just a partial dick.

Seriously though, you really shouldn't commit any rules infractions during pick up hockey. There's no refs out there to call it so basically you are cheating since you know you won't get called and you do it anyway in order to gain an advantage on the ice.

Obviously its just pick up so who cares right? well, the slippery slope argument suggest otherwise. Its an unwritten rule that you don't hook, hold, trip, etc in pick up hockey. If a guy beats you, get over it. Move on to the next play.

Now, if you're playing with buddies then by all means trip, hook, hold, slew foot, fight, eye gouge, fish hook or whatever else you and your pals do..as long as you don't hurt each other. Not uncommon for me to be skating up the ice in rat hockey only to find it very difficult to move..then I look back and one of my buddies has hooked me and is water skiiing behind me (and actually saying "weeeeeeee!!" as I'm pulling him up the ice).

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
You're not a total dick for doing that, just a partial dick.

Seriously though, you really shouldn't commit any rules infractions during pick up hockey. There's no refs out there to call it so basically you are cheating since you know you won't get called and you do it anyway in order to gain an advantage on the ice.

Obviously its just pick up so who cares right? well, the slippery slope argument suggest otherwise. Its an unwritten rule that you don't hook, hold, trip, etc in pick up hockey. If a guy beats you, get over it. Move on to the next play.

Now, if you're playing with buddies then by all means trip, hook, hold, slew foot, fight, eye gouge, fish hook or whatever else you and your pals do..as long as you don't hurt each other. Not uncommon for me to be skating up the ice in rat hockey only to find it very difficult to move..then I look back and one of my buddies has hooked me and is water skiiing behind me (and actually saying "weeeeeeee!!" as I'm pulling him up the ice).

Thanks for the reply. Ya I get and give the business from some other guys on the opposing team who like to joke around with me and such. They have played semi pro and don't take pick up too serious. And the guy whom I speak of is def an acquaintance of mine. i.e. he and I have talked outside of rink and hung out at parties. Maybe he's just a bit too sensitive and not someone who wants to engage in the tomfoolery. I guess I will just not do it and only give the business back to the other jokesters.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Ya I get and give the business from some other guys on the opposing team who like to joke around with me and such. They have played semi pro and don't take pick up too serious. And the guy whom I speak of is def an acquaintance of mine. i.e. he and I have talked outside of rink and hung out at parties. Maybe he's just a bit too sensitive and not someone who wants to engage in the tomfoolery. I guess I will just not do it and only give the business back to the other jokesters.

Yeah, I play in a similar type of 'pickup'. Roughly the same 20 guys/teams every week.

And generally what I find is that it happens from time to time, you just need to know which guys you can do it to, and which you can't.

There's a couple kids that like to showboat occasionally in ours and so I'll sometimes hook to slow them up since I'm the only one the other side that really keeps up with them over the entire game. They get pissed off about it but *shrug* that's how it goes. I get the same back from other older guys on their team.

But if someone beats me clean, I'm not going to commit an infraction just because I can get away with it. That's just poor sportsmanship.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Won our game in OT, my buddy cellied. Other team was being dirty & chippy all game (plus the other games we've played them) so they rush the ice and a scrum ensues. Long story short were all leaving the ice and one guy decides to say "I swear on my life I will kill your brother and your family...."

Like whoa. Its mens league man.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Won our game in OT, my buddy cellied. Other team was being dirty & chippy all game (plus the other games we've played them) so they rush the ice and a scrum ensues. Long story short were all leaving the ice and one guy decides to say "I swear on my life I will kill your brother and your family...."

Those are usually the guys who are still pissed they never made it past peewee rep league, and it's your fault. lol

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Let's see, you are in Toronto......I am guessing Vaughan Village or Canlan York?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often

I gotta say, anyone that said anything like that to me would get a reply from me about their mother and/or father that I wouldn't be able to say on here. I just wouldn't be able to help myself..and it would instantaneously result in violence..at least attempted violence..on their part, while provoking fits of laughter from everyone else.

Some people do need to be taken down a peg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->