Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Incidental contact you can expect in a non-contact league.
However, having a guy step into you and stand you up at the blue line when you try a simple dump and chase is not what you expect.

Nor is the concussion as a result of it and the missed days of work following.

But how often does that actually happen? You're talking an extreme case that's not the norm and which would undoubtedly see a penalty called.

..and as far as concussions go. Have you actually been concussed and how often? There's an awful lot of talk on these boards about concussions like they are the scourge of people's lives. A knock to the head followed by some soreness is not a concussion..and even being sat on ones backside at the blue line wouldn't ordinarily cause a concussion unless someone is hitting you in the head. I think there are a lot of people who aren't quite sure what a concussion is and what the effects of a concussion are. I don't think they are quite as common as some people think, especially in rec league hockey.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
But how often does that actually happen? You're talking an extreme case that's not the norm and which would undoubtedly see a penalty called.

..and as far as concussions go. Have you actually been concussed and how often? There's an awful lot of talk on these boards about concussions like they are the scourge of people's lives. A knock to the head followed by some soreness is not a concussion..and even being sat on ones backside at the blue line wouldn't ordinarily cause a concussion unless someone is hitting you in the head. I think there are a lot of people who aren't quite sure what a concussion is and what the effects of a concussion are. I don't think they are quite as common as some people think, especially in rec league hockey.

Mine was an actual personal anecdote. Guy had about six inches on me and I took his elbow to my ear and forearm across the jaw.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Mine was an actual personal anecdote. Guy had about six inches on me and I took his elbow to my ear and forearm across the jaw.

Like I said though..that's an extreme example of thuggery and intentionally trying to hurt someone that no one would defend or advocate for. Thats a whole lot different to pushing it a little bit.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Like I said though..that's an extreme example of thuggery and intentionally trying to hurt someone that no one would defend or advocate for. Thats a whole lot different to pushing it a little bit.

Well as the recipient I didn't feel like he was being a thug about it... just wasn't letting me around him (I chipped up the boards and went to go the long way around even). Just saw him kinda step towards me and brace and all I could think was this was gonna hurt.

My team saw it a bit different though and I think there was almost some fisticuffs over it. I mostly was trying to figure out how to stand up again though during that part.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Well as the recipient I didn't feel like he was being a thug about it... just wasn't letting me around him (I chipped up the boards and went to go the long way around even). Just saw him kinda step towards me and brace and all I could think was this was gonna hurt.

My team saw it a bit different though and I think there was almost some fisticuffs over it. I mostly was trying to figure out how to stand up again though during that part.

I've got six inches on a lot of people and gotta say I've never hit anyone in the head playing the body, accidentally or otherwise. You've still gotta get your elbow and/or forearm raised pretty high to collect someone's head.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Incidental contact you can expect in a non-contact league.
However, having a guy step into you and stand you up at the blue line when you try a simple dump and chase is not what you expect.

Nor is the concussion as a result of it and the missed days of work following.

I was in no way saying that those specific results should be expected nor that you are at fault for not expecting them. When I said "you kind of have to expect the worst out of everyone," I was just saying in a general sense that there are enough people operating outside of the rules that you almost have to assume that no one is looking out for your safety or well-being. And that is unfortunate...

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

As someone who has had 2 diagnosed concussions from hockey, a 3rd from beach volleyball and a 4th snowboarding, you should probably not comment on what can and cannot cause a concussion.

My first was from being taken down and hitting my head on the ice, the 2nd was from a slight bump the wrong way in the corner. The 3rd was a rec beach volleyball serve to the back of the head and the 4th I went down hard snowboarding with a helmet on.

I think, scratch that, know that you are underplaying what can cause one and what the outcome is. Also each time you have one, the next seems to come a whole lot easier. It is far better to err on the side of caution than it is to be a tough guy and shake it off. Take it from a guy who has tried to tough up, shaking it off only gets you hurt again.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Ref showed up late, possibly under the influence of something, was staring off into space at times instead of watching the play, waived off two goals we scored (defenseman fished it out of the net and into the goalies pads), missed a few dirty plays and a also hand pass leading to a 2 on 0.

I'm normally very friendly towards the refs and know it's not a glamorous job, but this guy was clearly not in it mentally on this particular evening and had no business being on the ice. They've been good in every other game so far, so we were bound to have a bad one at some point.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I have been weight lighting for ten plus years and playing hockey for almost twenty years now. Last year I had a grade 3 AC separation in my shoulder. My body hasn't been the same. I am about 190lbs and stand 5 feet 9 inches. My legs are huge from hockey and working out. My arms and chest are good size and I am in good shape again. I got back to working out and could do twenty pull ups under grip and 17 military overgrip in a single sitting. I usually break it down and do about 100 pull ups on back days. I was back to benching over 225lbs just doing reps of 3 to 6. I mostly was doing dumbbell presses regular, decline, butteryfly,and incline. I had no pains from working out at the gym. I went back to ice last week, and I have this sharp and excruciating pain in my lower neck to both of my shoulders. It really hurts to get around. I took a week off from everything phyiscal and properly stretched daily. I played hockey in a lower league just to fill in and the pain came back. My lower neck and upper back is killing me all the way to the back of my shoulder. Should I go see a doctor or just take a few week off from any type of athletic activities, and just gave beer league a try tonight as 11th guy with my beer league brothers. The pain came right back and it is really difficult to manage. It hurts me to give up the game I love. When I shoot the puck I can really feel it in my shoulder that I injured. I just don't know what to do. I think I need to take a few weeks off, and possibly give up hockey. The Ibprofen and ice just isn't working anymore. AFter that if the pain is there I guess I back back to the Orthopedic doctor.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I have been weight lighting for ten plus years and playing hockey for almost twenty years now. Last year I had a grade 3 AC separation in my shoulder. My body hasn't been the same. I am about 190lbs and stand 5 feet 9 inches. My legs are huge from hockey and working out. My arms and chest are good size and I am in good shape again. I got back to working out and could do twenty pull ups under grip and 17 military overgrip in a single sitting. I usually break it down and do about 100 pull ups on back days. I was back to benching over 225lbs just doing reps of 3 to 6. I mostly was doing dumbbell presses regular, decline, butteryfly,and incline. I had no pains from working out at the gym. I went back to ice last week, and I have this sharp and excruciating pain in my lower neck to both of my shoulders. It really hurts to get around. I took a week off from everything phyiscal and properly stretched daily. I played hockey in a lower league just to fill in and the pain came back. My lower neck and upper back is killing me all the way to the back of my shoulder. Should I go see a doctor or just take a few week off from any type of athletic activities, and just gave beer league a try tonight as 11th guy with my beer league brothers. The pain came right back and it is really difficult to manage. It hurts me to give up the game I love. When I shoot the puck I can really feel it in my shoulder that I injured. I just don't know what to do. I think I need to take a few weeks off, and possibly give up hockey. The Ibprofen and ice just isn't working anymore. AFter that if the pain is there I guess I back back to the Orthopedic doctor.

There's probably no medical advice to be had here; and even a doctor wouldn't give any advice without seeing it other than to say go see someone.

With aches and niggles like that I'm always the type to just let it settle down for a while and see what happens. If you're not playing at an elite level most things do fix themselves with rest and a little self rehab, but you generally have some idea when you've done something serious and need to seek medical advice of treatment.

I'm always finding I've got some little problem from thirty years of contact sport, primarily, back, knee and shoulder issues that I have to manage..permanently 'day to day'.

I would say my biggest mistake has been to get in the gym and think I'm gonna get back to my gym performances of age 25. Have tried several gym comebacks and invariably go too hard and heavy too early. Just because you used to lift it doesn't mean you should be able to (or need to) now.

I'm trying to build back up now, but I'm primarily doing sit ups, push ups, leg raises and dips and that sort of stuff. Not too much weights and not too much weight on them. If I can get a bit of a run on I'm gonna try and up it a little bit, but not back to the 220lbs + stuff. There's just no need any more. Just means more setbacks and injuries.

You might be a bit younger, but gotta ask yourself why you need to really smash it in the gym?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
As someone who has had 2 diagnosed concussions from hockey, a 3rd from beach volleyball and a 4th snowboarding, you should probably not comment on what can and cannot cause a concussion.

My first was from being taken down and hitting my head on the ice, the 2nd was from a slight bump the wrong way in the corner. The 3rd was a rec beach volleyball serve to the back of the head and the 4th I went down hard snowboarding with a helmet on.

I think, scratch that, know that you are underplaying what can cause one and what the outcome is. Also each time you have one, the next seems to come a whole lot easier. It is far better to err on the side of caution than it is to be a tough guy and shake it off. Take it from a guy who has tried to tough up, shaking it off only gets you hurt again.

You got concussed playing beach volleyball? ..wow. Don't doubt it, but that a little unusual. It's usually reserved for gladiator sports.

I've been concussed a few times and know what it's like to be concussed, including being nauseous and vomiting after one, being confused and generally not being able to remember or remembering only very little of the game. If you know or remember what it was that 'concussed' you without having to to be told at a later time by someone else then I'm a little skeptical about someone having been concussed.

I know I've caused some to others too and seen team mates that didn't know what day it was.

I've also been hit in the head quite a few times and been a little stunned or shocked and sore afterwards, but they weren't concussions, which is where I think some people get confused.

Best test I had was being asked me a very simple maths equation. I couldn't answer it, not because I couldn't do the maths, but because I couldn't remember the question long enough to process it.

Concussed 1990, 1993 and 2004. Hit in the head many, many times though, concussed?..no.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

The body reacts oddly to different things. A friend of mine was/is in a similar situation. He'd always played hockey, lifted very infrequently, then stopped both. Got back into lifting more than ever, got back into hockey, did both for a while, and developed some big shoulder issues realized when playing hockey. He stopped playing while continuing to lift, and the problem went away. Got back to playing and it came right back.

Meanwhile, I've never had such issues and I completely wreck it when I lift. When I stopped playing hockey so long ago, I got into bodybuilding & powerlifting, now I'm older and play hockey again (more than ever, at that). While I'm not much into getting gigantic anymore I still go pretty hard and heavy, and THANKFULLY nothing has ever been an issue joint-wise.

I wish I had something helpful to say other than it's probably not as uncommon as you might think, even though that's not really helpful overall.

As far as recent frustrations from me:

One team lost in the opening round of playoffs, should have been a walk. We didn't come mentally prepared to have a really grinding game and ended up losing in a shootout. Everyone else was more upset than I was about it (I don't like to complain about things I can't prove otherwise because it makes me feel like a chump), but in my shootout attempt the goalie moved the net back and I ended up hitting the front of the crossbar. I expect it would've gone bar down or just tucked behind the bar, which was the plan on a quick deke, but we'll never know. Anyway, that would have been the winner as well :lol: You just can't make it up. We should have blasted that team anyway. I see they advanced yet again to the finals though, and will now play the down-a-level-or-two team that only has 1 loss (from us!) - I actually hope they upset them, too, because the team that plays down has a few chumps I can't stand. At least the others are all class acts.

My other team, I had a goal called back early in the game and then as usual nothing else went my way. Thankfully it didn't matter because we won by a few, but that kind of luck has been sticking with me lately as you can see. I like to stick to my passing game at that point, but my wingers just can't score. I must have given at least 4 breakaway/fully open passes in that game and not a single one went in (most if not all were to our top scorers, too). I even blocked a puck w/my arm, gave a no-look behind-the-back pass through 2 of their guys who crashed down on me, and hit my guy coming out of the box toward the end of the game. Breakaway aaaaand no goal :help: Again, we won anyway, but if that luck carries over to our next couple games against the league's best teams we're screwed.

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
You got concussed playing beach volleyball? ..wow. Don't doubt it, but that a little unusual. It's usually reserved for gladiator sports.

I've had 8 concussions...
I got concussed with a Tennis Ball playing lob baseball and another trying to dunk a basketball on a fisher price 4 foot net when i was a kid.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
There's one ref in my
League that doesn't know the rules. Called a 2 line pass, doesn't know the rules for offsides, or icing, calls bs penalties and lets other go. I can't stand that ****. If you're going to sign up to ref, learn the damn rules.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
There's one ref in my
League that doesn't know the rules. Called a 2 line pass, doesn't know the rules for offsides, or icing, calls bs penalties and lets other go. I can't stand that ****. If you're going to sign up to ref, learn the damn rules.

I've been "called offsides" before by out of shape linesmen who skate around with the whistle in their mouth, and inadvertently blow it when they start huffing and puffing :(

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
My team has some serious problems covering people. It's extremely difficult as a goalie to know that there is ALWAYS someone wide open in front of the net for an easy tap in goal. Not to mention all the odd-man rushes and breakaways my team gives up. After the 5th or 6th breakaway last night where I made the initial save but he managed to reach back and put in the rebound, I ended up yelling at my team to play some (explicit) defense. :help:

Not to mention EVERY shot my team took in warmup was a slap shot, most of them high, a couple wizzed past my head. If you don't know how to warm-up a goalie then skate in circles and shoot a puck against the boards...
Sigh beer league

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
My team has some serious problems covering people. It's extremely difficult as a goalie to know that there is ALWAYS someone wide open in front of the net for an easy tap in goal. Not to mention all the odd-man rushes and breakaways my team gives up. After the 5th or 6th breakaway last night where I made the initial save but he managed to reach back and put in the rebound, I ended up yelling at my team to play some (explicit) defense. :help:

Not to mention EVERY shot my team took in warmup was a slap shot, most of them high, a couple wizzed past my head. If you don't know how to warm-up a goalie then skate in circles and shoot a puck against the boards...
Sigh beer league

Sounds like you've either got a bunch of defenders who think they're Bobby Orr, or are too lazy and slow to have gotten out of position in the first place. My condolences :(

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Bounced from the opening playoff game, 4-3. Would have at least gone to OT if our goalie didn't tap a bouncer to their rushing forward (the only guy within at least 5 feet of him) who just slid it into the gaping hole short-side.

It didn't help that we had a couple guys missing (way to go, one guy, not checking schedules until 5 hours before the game) but we still should have won either way.

Tendy has cost us quite a few playoffs in the past year w/these types of plays. I suppose if we just blew out every team we could even it out, but I'm not about to stack our team like some do.

STC

Oct 29, 2012

Sigh beer league

It just sounds like you are on a team full of idiots. No amount of yelling is gonna change stupid.

I can't remember the last time I even scored in warmups. The whole point of warmups is to warm up the goalie, not work on your shooting. My first few shots go right at the goalie's pads. then I throw a couple out where he can catch them and then I do the same to blocker side.

My advice to you...next time a shot in warmups goes head high just step out of the net and don't take any more shots. That's what my buddy does. Very rarely does anyone on his teams fire one head high in warmups these days.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
lost 8-4 last night, at least 6 of the goals scored were because me and the other defensemen were left 2v4 or 2v3 pretty much the entire night. I asked the centers during the intermissions to help out down low because we were being overwhelmed and they looked at me like I was crazy. pisses me the **** off seeing a glaring problem, having a solution for it, but having no one listen to what youre saying. hanging out in center ice waiting for a stretch pass while watching your dmen struggle is not what centers are supposed to do FFS

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Got a two game suspension for "discriminatory slur" meanwhile those are tossed around like candy in most leagues. Pretty sure I would have gotten less games if I hit the guy from behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->