Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
WE are winning 7-1. The guy on our team steals the puck from a defender trying to deke him and gets a break away. The goalie skates away from the net for a free. The player just lets the puck slide in for the goal with two seconds left. In the lineup the goalie sucker punches and clotheslines the guy who scored. He can't fight back because we are going to the playoffs and they are not. Our captain ask the ref will he be suspended, and he said no the guy scored an empty net goal in a 7-1 game. I mean come on? What if the guy breaks his jaw, gets a concussion, knocks out some teeth, or some serious issue? Is the ref going to tell USA hockey he scored a goal with 2 seconds left so he deserved it. I mean it is kind of a dick move, but it is within the rules to score. It is not within the rules to assault someone in a hand shake line when they are not suspecting it.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
Nevermind, after reading the last two posts I don't have any problems. Sry guys. I don't actually care that these guys I play pickup with one of the teams don't play positions and u figure out what position u are when u get on the ice. Lol

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
WE are winning 7-1. The guy on our team steals the puck from a defender trying to deke him and gets a break away. The goalie skates away from the net for a free. The player just lets the puck slide in for the goal with two seconds left. In the lineup the goalie sucker punches and clotheslines the guy who scored. He can't fight back because we are going to the playoffs and they are not. Our captain ask the ref will he be suspended, and he said no the guy scored an empty net goal in a 7-1 game. I mean come on? What if the guy breaks his jaw, gets a concussion, knocks out some teeth, or some serious issue? Is the ref going to tell USA hockey he scored a goal with 2 seconds left so he deserved it. I mean it is kind of a dick move, but it is within the rules to score. It is not within the rules to assault someone in a hand shake line when they are not suspecting it.

I don't know about you but sucker punching someone during the handshake line, regardless of reason, sounds like a match penalty to me.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Under 10 seconds in a blow out the guy should of just been protecting his goal not trying to score one but what the goalie did was ridiculous. Ive seen goals scored just as late in a blow out and the goalie never just steps out of the way or attacks the player. That ref better be friends with the goalie and its not sheer incompetence, you should complain to the league but if its anything like my league refs have immunity

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
You got concussed playing beach volleyball? ..wow. Don't doubt it, but that a little unusual. It's usually reserved for gladiator sports.

I've been concussed a few times and know what it's like to be concussed, including being nauseous and vomiting after one, being confused and generally not being able to remember or remembering only very little of the game. If you know or remember what it was that 'concussed' you without having to to be told at a later time by someone else then I'm a little skeptical about someone having been concussed.

I know I've caused some to others too and seen team mates that didn't know what day it was.

I've also been hit in the head quite a few times and been a little stunned or shocked and sore afterwards, but they weren't concussions, which is where I think some people get confused.

Best test I had was being asked me a very simple maths equation. I couldn't answer it, not because I couldn't do the maths, but because I couldn't remember the question long enough to process it.

Concussed 1990, 1993 and 2004. Hit in the head many, many times though, concussed?..no.

Sorry but his is a completely ignorant comment, and I don't think you would find a single respected medical professional who would agree with such a statement.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Sorry but his is a completely ignorant comment, and I don't think you would find a single respected medical professional who would agree with such a statement.

That's fine; don't apologise. I'll just have to find a medical professional then who isn't respected that can back me up on that one.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
That's fine; don't apologise. I'll just have to find a medical professional then who isn't respected that can back me up on that one.

You are just wrong.

I went through 20 months of PCS symptoms, and I know/recall EXACTLY what happened to me. Popped right up after, made it to the bench, and then the **** started hitting the fan about 5 minutes later and left the bench via ambulance on on a stretcher.

I mean I think I understand the point you are trying to make, but your comment itself is just wrong and no one who may some day end up in a position of having to help another player or kid (coaching) in a similar situation should have that attitude.

Sorry I come across a little bit bitter and over the top, but it is a sensitive issue to me. :)

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I reserve the right to be wrong. This is an Internet message board.

..but I've also had my bell rung a few times, dished some out and been around others.

The saying 'didn't know what hit them'..holds true with most concussions I've seen..just take YouTube then instead of personal experience. Guys getting up or trying to get up generally pretty confused, because they aren't sure what happened..some of their browser history just got cleared, or at least that last page they typed never got saved to their hard drive..if you know what I mean.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I reserve the right to be wrong. This is an Internet message board.

..but I've also had my bell rung a few times, dished some out and been around others.

The saying 'didn't know what hit them'..holds true with most concussions I've seen..just take YouTube then instead of personal experience. Guys getting up or trying to get up generally pretty confused, because they aren't sure what happened..some of their browser history just got cleared, or at least that last page they typed never got saved to their hard drive..if you know what I mean.

I remember exactly what happened when I took my worst one in my last year of junior hockey. I remember seeing my spit all over the inside of my visor and knowing that something wasn't right in my head. I would argue that more people do remember the hits they take from my playing days.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Today our team blew up after the game, with one of our players breaking his stick over the boards post game out of frustration. Throughout our numerous seasons in the league we've consistently had problems with one ref, to the point where he's not supposed to be officiating our games unless there is no other option. This ref knows his stuff, but does not know how to be professional or to talk to people. We are lining up for a faceoff, and he gestures for one of our players to move back because he's over the line. Our player doesn't see it, so the ref points again and proceeds to yell, "move the **** back, I don't point for ****ing fun". I mean, in a tense game situation, albeit one that isn't a high level or of great meaning but still is a high intensity game, yelling at a player is just going to raise all intensity/anxiety levels.

We are up 1 with 4 minutes left, and he calls a weak tripping penalty along the boards on a play that probably happens 10 times a game because we're in a lower division where two players get tangled up fighting for the puck along the boards and one goes down. 90 seconds later, he calls another weak "roughing" penalty that also happens multiple times per game where two players are racing for the puck and go slamming in to the boards because it's roller hockey, we suck, and can't stop. So now we're 2 on 4, and they score on both powerplays so we lose.

The penalties called were probably penalties, but had been let go for 56 minutes of the game. Just call it the same for the duration of the game!!!!

Last edited:

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
This week's gripe is an unusual one: Guys who just want to play D in at drop-in.

The group I play pick-up with ranges in age from 18-65. It's a good pace and most guys are good skaters. However, there are a few guys (all north of 50) that just want to play D. From what I can gather, this has to do with their stamina and skating ability; they just feel more comfortable hanging back so they don't have to skate as much. So far, I have zero problem with any of this. My issue is when it's my turn to take a shift on D and one of these guys either hangs back on the blue line or tells me to jump up on forward.

This isn't a complaint about older players; I'm not exactly in the younger group myself (I'm 32) and a lot of the guys older than me are better than me. The complaint is about guys just doing what they are comfortable with. I'm not a guy who gets real serious about pick-up hockey, but I don't view "just wants to play D" guy any differently than "just wants to cherry pick" guy. If you just do what you're comfortable with or what you want to do, you're probably doing so to the detriment of someone else's experience.

I like the firewagon aspect of drop-in where one shift you're playing center, the next shift you're on D. It keeps you sharp and keeps you on your toes. I enjoy playing defense just as much as playing forward, so I like to get my turn at it. I'll even move back when guys who want to play forward pout when they're out there on defense. I respect my elders and don't find it productive to argue about what spot I want to play while the play is going on, so I generally just move up. But last night, one guy would just drop back without communicating. I would be playing the point and look over to see two other guys on the blue line. So frustrating.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Got a two game suspension for "discriminatory slur" meanwhile those are tossed around like candy in most leagues. Pretty sure I would have gotten less games if I hit the guy from behind.

What did you say?

STC

Oct 29, 2012
The ref didn't even give him a penalty is my point. He stated he deserved it.

In that situation the ref deserves to spend the next game dodging head high slap shots. Seriously, remember who the ref is and next time he is reffing a game start "dumping" pucks where ever he is standing.

Its the refs job to police the game and keep players safe. If he is refusing to do that it then becomes the players job to "remind" the ref of his job. Firing pucks at him all game should serve as a reminder as well.

I guess you could take the high road and complain to the league, but from my experience 90% of the time those complaints fall on deaf ears.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
In that situation the ref deserves to spend the next game dodging head high slap shots. Seriously, remember who the ref is and next time he is reffing a game start "dumping" pucks where ever he is standing.

Its the refs job to police the game and keep players safe. If he is refusing to do that it then becomes the players job to "remind" the ref of his job. Firing pucks at him all game should serve as a reminder as well.

I guess you could take the high road and complain to the league, but from my experience 90% of the time those complaints fall on deaf ears.

Forgot one thing,

Pray that the ref is stupid, it's pretty damn easy to see when a player "shoots" a puck at a ref...

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
We got trashed yesterday by a guy that was clearly a ringer. He was obviously in a division he had no business playing in, and he wouldn't let up even after they were up by like 6. He just kept going after one of our Dmen who is a beginner, and skating around him and scoring. I think he ended with 7 or 8 goals. I hate playing guys like that. I've played against guys that are playing down a division, but they usually go half speed because they're not *******s.

**** that guy. Wore a mirrored visor too, which makes him even more of an *******.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Today our team blew up after the game, with one of our players breaking his stick over the boards post game out of frustration. Throughout our numerous seasons in the league we've consistently had problems with one ref, to the point where he's not supposed to be officiating our games unless there is no other option. This ref knows his stuff, but does not know how to be professional or to talk to people. We are lining up for a faceoff, and he gestures for one of our players to move back because he's over the line. Our player doesn't see it, so the ref points again and proceeds to yell, "move the **** back, I don't point for ****ing fun". I mean, in a tense game situation, albeit one that isn't a high level or of great meaning but still is a high intensity game, yelling at a player is just going to raise all intensity/anxiety levels.

We are up 1 with 4 minutes left, and he calls a weak tripping penalty along the boards on a play that probably happens 10 times a game because we're in a lower division where two players get tangled up fighting for the puck along the boards and one goes down. 90 seconds later, he calls another weak "roughing" penalty that also happens multiple times per game where two players are racing for the puck and go slamming in to the boards because it's roller hockey, we suck, and can't stop. So now we're 2 on 4, and they score on both powerplays so we lose.

The penalties called were probably penalties, but had been let go for 56 minutes of the game. Just call it the same for the duration of the game!!!!

Huh? 4 on 2?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
It's inline, so normally 4 v 4, but we were two men down hence the 2 on 4. As you can imagine...was Very difficult to even attempt to kill that penalty.

Been there a few times for inline. Myself and another are our PK go-to guys, so we're always out to try to survive that. We're probably 50/50. If we kill it, we might be 50/50 on the next line giving up a goal once we're even or only down 1 guy :cry: Sometimes it feels like you just want to give them a goal immediately and get on with it :p

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Committed my first "frustration" penalty possibly ever last night.

I play in a Men's C league so play isn't too fast paced and generally pretty good sportsmanship. Early in the game we had a guy skating from the top of the circle to go behind their goal and the goalie stuck out his stick and hooked his skate, causing him to fall right in the boards. We confronted the ref about it and he basically ignored us and didn't say anything.

About 5 min later, I took a shot coming into the zone that was deflected back behind the goal. I was the first one there and as I went to go behind, the goalie again reached out a good 2 feet, hooked my skate and sent me head first into the boards. The same ref was standing right there and didn't call anything. After shaking it off, I went up to the goalie, had a few words in which he told me he was hoping "I wouldn't get up" then gave him a nice jab with the stick and received a slashing minor.

Tried to calmly discuss with the refs between periods, but they wouldn't talk. I think that is the most upset I have been in a game due to a player purposely intending to injure others and then refs with complete disregard to player safety. We had multiple guys try to alert them during the game in a calm manor, never condescending, and they just ignored it. Shouldn’t happen, especially at the skill level being played where most the guys aren’t great to begin with.

Would be lying if I said the top shelf wrister I put in with 2 min left to seal a 5-0 win and quick stare down didn’t feel good, but everything earlier still put a damper on the whole night.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Committed my first "frustration" penalty possibly ever last night.

I play in a Men's C league so play isn't too fast paced and generally pretty good sportsmanship. Early in the game we had a guy skating from the top of the circle to go behind their goal and the goalie stuck out his stick and hooked his skate, causing him to fall right in the boards. We confronted the ref about it and he basically ignored us and didn't say anything.

About 5 min later, I took a shot coming into the zone that was deflected back behind the goal. I was the first one there and as I went to go behind, the goalie again reached out a good 2 feet, hooked my skate and sent me head first into the boards. The same ref was standing right there and didn't call anything. After shaking it off, I went up to the goalie, had a few words in which he told me he was hoping "I wouldn't get up" then gave him a nice jab with the stick and received a slashing minor.

Tried to calmly discuss with the refs between periods, but they wouldn't talk. I think that is the most upset I have been in a game due to a player purposely intending to injure others and then refs with complete disregard to player safety. We had multiple guys try to alert them during the game in a calm manor, never condescending, and they just ignored it. Shouldn’t happen, especially at the skill level being played where most the guys aren’t great to begin with.

Would be lying if I said the top shelf wrister I put in with 2 min left to seal a 5-0 win and quick stare down didn’t feel good, but everything earlier still put a damper on the whole night.

I gotta say, if a goalie was carrying on like that and the referees just didn't wanna know. I'd be telling the goalie that if he did anything one more time then he was gonna get hurt..and I'd follow through with it if he did..and I don't take a lot of penalties. Probably the only time I'd say it's just fine to run the goalie, from behind, into the pipes, whatever. Live by the sword..

I'd probably tell their captain first too, if he doesn't pull his head in I'm gonna take it off. Their call.

Alas, I haven't come across any goalies that aren't good guys.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I gotta say, if a goalie was carrying on like that and the referees just didn't wanna know. I'd be telling the goalie that if he did anything one more time then he was gonna get hurt..and I'd follow through with it if he did..and I don't take a lot of penalties. Probably the only time I'd say it's just fine to run the goalie, from behind, into the pipes, whatever. Live by the sword..

I'd probably tell their captain first too, if he doesn't pull his head in I'm gonna take it off. Their call.

Alas, I haven't come across any goalies that aren't good guys.

Oh yeah, that is dangerous stuff. I'm not one for going into goalies (have no need and never had to retaliate), but if that were me I'd tell tell him once and after that he'd be asking for it. You could either pound him quick or stay behind the play once and trip him on your way out like an a-hole. Or do what this one clown in our league does, just run his kamikaze style on every rush possible.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
I play in a pick up group two nights per week. Same 20 guys every week. Al levels and very clean play. It's not super serious but it's the same players on white and darks each time also so we do have a little fun rivalry. Tonight I blatantly hooked a guy pretty good to keep him from getting to a loose puck. He is a good guy and the head guy of this pick up league. He and his dad do the "policing" if ever necessary. I doubt it hurt but it definitely did the job. He turned around and said "hey watch the hooking man". I just laughed it off. But it totally made him mad and put him off his game. I did not apologize.

Anyway, for people who play in similar style games is this the same as screening goalies in pick up games - something you just don't do? Was I a total d*** for doing it? Not going to lose sleep, but curious what protocol is as I've only been playing two years.

Last edited:

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
I play in a pick up group two nights per week. Same 20 guys every week. Al levels and very clean play. It's not super serious but it's the same players on white and darks each time also. Tonight I blatantly hooked a guy tonight pretty good to keep him from getting to a loose puck. He is the head guy of this pick up league. I doubt it hurt but it definitely did the job. He turned around and said "hey watch the hooking man". I just laughed it off. But it totally made him mad and put him off his game. I did not apologize.

Anyway, for people who play in similar style games is this the same as screening goalies in pick up games - something you just don't do? Was I a total d*** for doing it? Not going to loose sleep but curious what protocol is as I've only been playing two years.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I play in a pick up group two nights per week. Same 20 guys every week. Al levels and very clean play. It's not super serious but it's the same players on white and darks each time also so we do have a little fun rivalry. Tonight I blatantly hooked a guy pretty good to keep him from getting to a loose puck. He is the head guy of this pick up league. He and his dad do the "policing" if ever necessary. I doubt it hurt but it definitely did the job. He turned around and said "hey watch the hooking man". I just laughed it off. But it totally made him mad and put him off his game. I did not apologize.

Anyway, for people who play in similar style games is this the same as screening goalies in pick up games - something you just don't do? Was I a total d*** for doing it? Not going to lose sleep, but curious what protocol is as I've only been playing two years.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with a little bit of that, providing it's half hearted stuff with no malice involved. If anything, it's more acceptable playing with a bunch of regulars. Usually it's buddies hooking and tripping each other; busting each other's balls.

That dude shouldn't have taken any offence. If there's anything lingering, a quick apology 'just messin' with you man' ought to suffice.

I've had two run ins at pick up before where words have been exchanged and tempers flared, even into the dressing room, but it's been sorted in the car park afterwards; and not through fisticuffs. Most dudes chill when they're out of the gear and cooling down. Everyone knows they're there to have fun and nothing's at stake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->