OT: Beer chat

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Out for dinner tonight and tasted my wife's German beer (Hofbrau). It blew away what I was drinking. Don't underestimate 1000 years or so of experience for the Germans and Belgians....
HB is my favorite beer. If you think it's great in the US try getting it in Munchen. The famous beer garden in Munich will really blow you away.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
for those of you who said you like founders breakfast stout--it is phenomenal--one of my favs

if you ever see the KBS or CBS get it! Similar concept from founders but higher alc and phenomenal--two of the highest rated beers around

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Wow. Bavarian style is my favorite. Just drinking some Hofbrau (HB) now.

It's all in the Yeast...
Gotta use Liquid Cultures direct from the Suppliers the Big Breweries use.
And of course Authentic Malt and Hops from Germany and Slovakia

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'll bump this again since this place is becoming almost unreadable.

Picked up a six pack of one of my regulars yesterday; Ommegang Rare Vos. Grabbed some of the Port Jeff. Beach Beer as well, good stuff.

Reactions: nyisleslover

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
for those of you who said you like founders breakfast stout--it is phenomenal--one of my favs

if you ever see the KBS or CBS get it! Similar concept from founders but higher alc and phenomenal--two of the highest rated beers around

Had a KBS yesterday, people love it. A bit woody (barrel, duh) and slightly burnt for me. An acquired taste. Their breafast stout is in the running for best value in craft beer imo.

Don't know if you ever make it to maine but there is a brewery up near Portland called Barreled Souls. Lots of Barrel Aged stuff (pricey). My friends and I stored a bottle of their Tequilla Bareel stout for a year. It was good at the brewery but perhaps a tad hot. Really aged well and everything came together after a year in my basement. One of the best beers I ever had.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
There is only one thing I miss about Texas - Live Oak Brewery.

They make this niche "weizenbock" called Primus....tastes like Guinness-bananas-with-a-touch-of-chocolate-and-clove-beer. LOVE IT.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Probably will get bashed by some of you more adventurous beer drinkers...but I had Budweiser's Freedom Reserve, which is "based on" George Washington's beer recipe, yesterday in honor of the 4th.

It was interesting.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Had some Harpoon Limey Vice yesterday. Was ice cold, and absolutely perfect for the heat.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Had a Lil Citra (from PipeWorks) on the train not too long ago and loved it. Forgot about it for a while and then came across it in the store recently and picked up a few 4 packs just as good as the first one.

Perhaps my favorite Session IPA now.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Had a Lil Citra (from PipeWorks) on the train not too long ago and loved it. Forgot about it for a while and then came across it in the store recently and picked up a few 4 packs just as good as the first one.

Perhaps my favorite Session IPA now.

Get passion fruit guppy if you get a chance, one of the greatest sessions ever.

Edit: Pipeworks

pipeworks-passion-fruit-guppy.png

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
This week it looks like after 3 years of asking we are getting the Heady Topper plus Modern Times Orderville.

Man Modern Times is so damn good. Their Hoppy Amber is one of my favs, and they have some really good sours. We have been spoiled out here in So Cal for a while, but honestly good craft beer is everywhere now. When I'm back East I usually sprint for some Long Trail and Southern Tier since it doesn't distribute out here.

Not sure if it makes its way out east, but Three Weavers is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries if you ever come across it.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Man Modern Times is so damn good. Their Hoppy Amber is one of my favs, and they have some really good sours. We have been spoiled out here in So Cal for a while, but honestly good craft beer is everywhere now. When I'm back East I usually sprint for some Long Trail and Southern Tier since it doesn't distribute out here.

Not sure if it makes its way out east, but Three Weavers is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries if you ever come across it.

Actually these are just now available....

KNOTTY
DAY JOB
SEAFARER KOLSCH
EXPATRIATE IPA

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Actually these are just now available....

KNOTTY
DAY JOB
SEAFARER KOLSCH
EXPATRIATE IPA

The Expatriate is probably my favorite IPA on the market. So solid. The Kolsch is also fantastic.

The brewery is also owned and operated fully by women. A good sales pitch for your bartenders. :)

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I'm holding it for people I know TBH. We had Focal Banger, thought it was very good, not as great as advertised.

Focal Banger is sill very hoppy, hoppier tnan many of the sweeter IPAs mentioned here. I live in NH and I’ve had all the sought after IPAs from Vermont and Maine (Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, real Lawson’s not Sip of Sunsine, Bissel, Foundation, Maine Dinner, etc. I think Singlecut from Queens is right there with the best of them. Five or six bucks overpriced, but that won’t break most of us. I think you’re lucky to have them. By far the best in Ny metro area IMO.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Focal Banger is sill very hoppy, hoppier tnan many of the sweeter IPAs mentioned here. I live in NH and I’ve had all the sought after IPAs from Vermont and Maine (Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, real Lawson’s not Sip of Sunsine, Bissel, Foundation, Maine Dinner, etc. I think Singlecut from Queens is right there with the best of them. Five or six bucks overpriced, but that won’t break most of us. I think you’re lucky to have them. By far the best in Ny metro area IMO.

I have had a few Singlecut's come through.
Does anyone remember laughter and Softly spoken magic spells.

Also, if you get a chance, try Connecticut brewing Trail Blazer. Fabulous NE style.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I have had a few Singlecut's come through.
Does anyone remember laughter and Softly spoken magic spells.

Also, if you get a chance, try Connecticut brewing Trail Blazer. Fabulous NE style.

Will look out for that

As you may have figured out most of the Singlecut names are from 70s and 80s songs.

My favorite is the ac/dc tribute called Bon Bon TNT. Haven’t seen it in a while.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
More of a red wine guy (red Zinfandel). That said- do love Spaten (German/Munich lager brewed since 1397). Give it a try if you ever get the chance...

ci-pilsner-urquell-e37781ccf71907c1.jpeg

pilsner urquell is a great czech beer. they make some awesome beers.

I know everyone is all into the Microbrews and they are great, some of the old world stuff is under appreciated imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad