Speculation: Bednar's future

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
All goalies play better when they have a lot of shots... advanced stats has been on that train for a while. A goalie that routinely faces 30-35 shots is going to have a better save percentage and more eye popping numbers than one that faces 25. Roy's system no doubt had a lot of pucks on net, but many of those were not dangerous. I'm not saying by any means Roy was a great coach, but he was average... much like Bednar is.
I don't care about the numbers. Varlamov was an outstanding goaltender during the Roy years, a Vezina finalist. I vividly remember so many games where the Avs played awful hockey but Varly stole the game. How often does that happen under Bednar? The difference in quality of goaltending under Bednar and Roy is huge.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
All goalies play better when they have a lot of shots... advanced stats has been on that train for a while. A goalie that routinely faces 30-35 shots is going to have a better save percentage and more eye popping numbers than one that faces 25. Roy's system no doubt had a lot of pucks on net, but many of those were not dangerous. I'm not saying by any means Roy was a great coach, but he was average... much like Bednar is.

Well under Bednar most of the shots on goal are right in the danger area during this slump, our goalies is doing a great job stopping the puck either...
What we need is a coach like Barry Tortz. sigh.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't care about the numbers. Varlamov was an outstanding goaltender during the Roy years, a Vezina finalist. I vividly remember so many games where the Avs played awful hockey but Varly stole the game. How often does that happen under Bednar? The difference in quality of goaltending under Bednar and Roy is huge.

You're missing the point... the narrative when a goalie allows 2 goals on 40 shots is always that they stole the game. Hell, for a while Scrivens had that narrative because he had some big games. But simply having that many shots doesn't equate to the goalies being dramatically better. Roy's system fit Varly and inflated hit stats. I'm not saying Varly didn't play well, but part of Varly playing well was Roy's system.

Reactions: klozge

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
You're missing the point... the narrative when a goalie allows 2 goals on 40 shots is always that they stole the game. Hell, for a while Scrivens had that narrative because he had some big games. But simply having that many shots doesn't equate to the goalies being dramatically better. Roy's system fit Varly and inflated hit stats. I'm not saying Varly didn't play well, but part of Varly playing well was Roy's system.
Interesting take. Not sure if Roy's system really made a huge difference. Roy did get a prime Varlamov and Bednar now has a Varlamov that looks like he should be glued to the bench. To me that has a lot more to do with the numerous injuries Varly has suffered over the years rather than the system.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Isn't there another thread for completely discrediting all the insane saves Varly made in 2013-14 to steal games for the Avs and cover up all the weakness of that incompetent D core?

Avs44

May 16, 2011

In the three years Roy was with the Avs, 2013-14 to 2015-16, the Avs not only got slaughtered in shot attempts against (second last in the league), but were third last in high danger scoring chances against. In that 2013-14 season they were second last in high danger scoring chances against. They got caved in defensively on a nightly basis, and a ton of those shots were considered quite dangerous. I don't think the Avs were keeping the opposition to the perimeter that frequently.

Last edited:
Reactions: CB Joe

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In the three years Roy was with the Avs, 2013-14 to 2015-16, the Avs not only got slaughtered in shot attempts against (second last in the league), but were third last in high danger scoring chances against. In that 2013-14 season they were second last in high danger scoring chances against. They got caved in defensively on a nightly basis, and a ton of those shots were considered quite dangerous. I don't think the Avs were keeping the opposition to the perimeter that frequently.

They were doing both. Keeping shots to the perimeter and giving up a ton of grade A chances. That's the problem. Specifically because the D core was terrible. The perimeter strategy was an effort to negate the problems with icing a terrible D core. It didn't work.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
It's my personnal opinion, constructive or not , but do i believe it's time for a change.
Dont get me wrong , not everyting is negative with Bednar , but the way the Avs have been playing since December and Mackinnon's outburst on the bech a few games ago , it's time for a change. It's time to do something before it's too late and the Avs drops out of the playoffs picture.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's my personnal opinion, constructive or not , but do i believe it's time for a change.
Dont get me wrong , not everyting is negative with Bednar , but the way the Avs have been playing since December and Mackinnon's outburst on the bech a few games ago , it's time for a change. It's time to do something before it's too late and the Avs drops out of the playoffs picture.

Okay, but who are you going to replace him with? The options are Bennett, Pratt, or Cronin. Unless you think Sneezecloth is ready.

An in-season coaching change is likely going to have the same effect all the other in-season coaching changes have had: None...or in the case of the Blackhaws, they got demonstrably worse.

Honestly I don't think Bednar should lose his job unless this collapse takes them all the way down to the bottom. If he can't right this ship in some way shape or form, then yes, he probably needs to go. But if he does get them playing well again (would kinda help if the goddamn goalies could help out a little) then he should get another shot here.

I am wondering about the assistants though. Bennett was brought in for one thing--fix the special teams. For some reason, whatever worked last season is failing miserably now. And as for Pratt...well, if he's in charge of the D and the D looks like it's actually taken a step back, I mean, dude needs to figure it out or GTFO. Again...crap goaltending is not helping his efforts.

Parkkila's gonzo either way, so it's kind of a moot point. They'd better bring in a damn good goalie coach this next go-around.

One thing that has, and always will hold the Avalanche back is that they're simply not willing to pay top dollar for coaches. That's why people should probably quit with the pining for Quenneville...even if he is amenable to coming back (and I doubt he is).

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I know i'm one of the very few , but Coach Q is my guy. There's an History with him and the Avs , since he was the avs HC a few seasons ago and won the SC with the avs in 96. How many rookie coach did the avs got in a row now ? I know you said the Avs are not willing to pay top dollars for a coach , but i think it's time to bring someone with experience behind the bench.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I know i'm one of the very few , but Coach Q is my guy. There's an History with him and the Avs , since he was the avs HC a few seasons ago and won the SC with the avs in 96. How many rookie coach did the avs got in a row now ? I know you said the Avs are not willing to pay top dollars for a coach , but i think it's time to bring someone with experience behind the bench.

I think if it is possible they should do it, and as soon as possible. Do I feel it is a realistic hope? Well I thought it was a realistic hope they'd f***ing make a trade to bring in help sometime before the wheels completely fell off.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I think if it is possible they should do it, and as soon as possible. Do I feel it is a realistic hope? Well I thought it was a realistic hope they'd ****ing make a trade to bring in help sometime before the wheels completely fell off.

I dont think making a trade would be the right move , not after the way they've been playing since décember .
When you make a trade you do it in a postion of strength. Just a quick look at the avs record for a month and a half now tell us that all GMs arround the league are probably waiting for Sakic to call them in panic . making a trade now would be trading in a position of weakness and that's never a good move... unlesss Sakic finds a dumb GM to trade with.

Reactions: Bender and Goulet17

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I just can't see the Avs ever paying a coach $6 million or more.

IDK , but having one rookie coach behind the bench after another , could work but it's a gamble.
Since Coach Q left the Avs in 2008 , they only had rookie coachs : Tony Granato, Joe Sacco, Patrick Roy and now Bednar.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I dont think making a trade would be the right move , not after the way they've been playing since décember .
When you make a trade you do it in a postion of strength. Just a quick look at the avs record for a month and a half now tell us that all GMs arround the league are probably waiting for Sakic to call them in panic . making a trade now would be trading in a position of weakness and that's never a good move... unlesss Sakic finds a dumb GM to trade with.

It has been obvious forever that they need roster help. I kind of figured someone would throw it out as a panic trade. Sometimes you should panic about things though, and sometimes a trade is needed regardless of the timing or position you've backed yourself into. I don't think the prices are going to be any worse. Teams are just going to get as much as they can for whatever player regardless, but there is a clear cut cap to how much you can ask for. Teams just don't trade certain levels of prospects.

I do kind of get the sense that beyond some of these change of scenery or low level trades, teams are kind of having a staring contest right now lol. Carolina needs forward help and has D available. Toronto wants defense, Philly wants to make trades too. All these f***ing teams that want to make something happen yet are not willing to pay up then ask for too much themselves. Same thing with NY right now.

GMs can't seem to do a damn thing unless they're up against a deadline.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Like Rutherford's description, so often quoted by Friedman, about throwing anvils instead of life vests. It was always Lacroix's philosophy as well. You make trades, particularly big ones, when you are playing well and not poorly.

Reactions: Bender

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
It has been obvious forever that they need roster help. I kind of figured someone would throw it out as a panic trade. Sometimes you should panic about things though, and sometimes a trade is needed regardless of the timing or position you've backed yourself into. I don't think the prices are going to be any worse. Teams are just going to get as much as they can for whatever player regardless, but there is a clear cut cap to how much you can ask for. Teams just don't trade certain levels of prospects.

I do kind of get the sense that beyond some of these change of scenery or low level trades, teams are kind of having a staring contest right now lol. Carolina needs forward help and has D available. Toronto wants defense, Philly wants to make trades too. All these ****ing teams that want to make something happen yet are not willing to pay up then ask for too much themselves. Same thing with NY right now.

GMs can't seem to do a damn thing unless they're up against a deadline.

I wonder what Jay Feaster is doing these days ;)

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
IDK , but having one rookie coach behind the bench after another , could work but it's a gamble.
Since Coach Q left the Avs in 2008 , they only had rookie coachs : Tony Granato, Joe Sacco, Patrick Roy and now Bednar.

I have almost given up on the Avs hiring an outsider. It is more than the Avs in my opinion, I think it is a Kroenke organizational issue. It is perceived as a threat, which is a shame.

Although Coach Q is not exactly an outsider, his ties to Colorado run deep. I am not sure that I would advocate for him as a hire though.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I don't think think Q is a farfetched at it seems. I seem to remember seeing somewhere saying that Sakic has been in contact with Q while he's been in CO. It could just be shooting the breeze but who knows.

Reactions: Bender

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I will start to question if Joe Sakic is the guy to bring this team to the next level if he doesn't at least try SOMETHING to shake things up. He cannot just sit back and watch this thing burn. I think you can make a move or two without seriously damaging the future. Again, a very good defensive center could have been had for SIXTH ROUNDER and Sakic was nowhere to be found.

Joe needs to learn from his former contemporaries in Carolina and Philadelphia...at some point you have to stop sitting back.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, I will start to question if Joe Sakic is the guy to bring this team to the next level if he doesn't at least try SOMETHING to shake things up. He cannot just sit back and watch this thing burn. I think you can make a move or two without seriously damaging the future. Again, a very good defensive center could have been had for SIXTH ROUNDER and Sakic was nowhere to be found.

Joe needs to learn from his former contemporaries in Carolina and Philadelphia...at some point you have to stop sitting back.

Honestly as thin as the 4th line looks, and seeing them send down Jost. I would even appreciate the boring 4th liner trade. I'm not sure it would be enough, but maybe combining that and f***ing trying Greer & Frank up here would.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly as thin as the 4th line looks, and seeing them send down Jost. I would even appreciate the boring 4th liner trade. I'm not sure it would be enough, but maybe combining that and ****ing trying Greer & Frank up here would.

They need to do SOMETHING to get some stability and reliability in the lineup beyond the top line. Even a halfway-decent defensive forward or grinder would be a welcome addition. They're seriously underestimating how much losing Kamenev really affected things. Right now they just keep rotating the same damned players around over and over and hope to hell something sticks. It hasn't worked for nearly two months now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad