OT: Bears & NFL Talk 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sweat has been great for the Commanders for years now. It'll be interesting how he'll look when he needs to be The Guy on the D-line.

It's hard to find an edge as good as Sweat in the draft, especially outside of the top 10. Obviously if they fail to re-sign him, this trade is a catastrophe. Otherwise I think it's a good trade.
Sweet wants elite $ without producing as an elite

He is nowhere as good as guys like Myles Garrett, Danielle Hunter, Josh Allen, T.J. Watt, Maxx Crosby, Trey Hendrickson and Bosa brothers

Yet he wants to be paid like them

And you can find good pass rushers thru draft. Several of the guys I listed were 3rd/4th rounders

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

He is nowhere as good as guys like Myles Garrett, Danielle Hunter, Josh Allen, T.J. Watt, Maxx Crosby, Trey Hendrickson and Bosa brothers

And you can find good pass rushers thru draft. Several of the guys I listed were 3rd/4th rounders

I think the comp is the rashan Gary contract that was just signed

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Where are you seeing anything about Sweat's contract demands?

Pointing out non-first round edges in the draft that have turned out great is just lazy analysis. Sweat is obviously an above average edge in the league. What percentage of edges picked outside the top 10 in the draft end up being of that quality?

There were around 100 edges picked in the drafts 2017-2020. How many of those ended up with better production numbers than Sweat? That's the number you want to look at, not circling the, in hindsight, best picks in the draft and saying it's doable to find a great edge with a 2nd rounder.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm predicting this trade will look really bad at the end of the season, since whatever this team is attempting to do with its pass rush clearly isn't working. Ngakoue has been getting 8+ sacks like clockwork his entire career. He'll be lucky to reach 4 this year. Other than a 5 sack outing against the Commanders, in an all around weird game, this team might as well have been rolling out 0 pass rushers all season.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't think the team makes this kind of move unless they want the GM to return next season.
This organization let Pace and Nagy draft a QB and then fired them. Zero correlation in any of their moves. Poles could get fired tomorrow and I wouldn't be shocked. Being facetious of course but you get my point.

I see the overreaction Eeyore's are out in force.

I have no judgment on the trade until I see him play and/or contract extenstion.
If there is any organization that has lost all benefit of the doubt, its this one.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm predicting this trade will look really bad at the end of the season, since whatever this team is attempting to do with its pass rush clearly isn't working. Ngakoue has been getting 8+ sacks like clockwork his entire career. He'll be lucky to reach 4 this year. Other than a 5 sack outing against the Commanders, in an all around weird game, this team might as well have been rolling out 0 pass rushers all season.
What they're attempting to do is simple... a 4-3 agap rush defense. It needs talent on the dline. If you don't have a solid 3tech 3 talented DEs to play and rotate out you don't have a good 4-3 system.

I dont love it cause their defense might improve but who cares. There's no point in keeping this system or team in place

The deadline is at 4pm? That just seems weird I thought it's be officially done by now.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
What's better? A) four years of a top-40 pick on a cost-controlled contract AND the best edge rusher you can sign in free agency on a market value deal (which might have been Sweat!) or B) Sweat on a market value deal plus an extra eight games with him in 2023

This is pretty much exactly where I stand.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Assuming they re-sign Sweat, this allows some more flexibility with their top two picks. They can go MHJ + QB without edge being a top priority.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
lol poles

I think I'll wait for bad outcomes to actually happen before getting mad about them.
as if claypool for jpj didn't happen in the last calendar year

Doesn’t make a single ounce of sense unless they extend him, that’s a given. If they trade JJ it also makes no sense.
would it be a surprise if they do something similar with JJ as they did with Roquan, move him to a contender for a late 2nd and then they trade their own 2nd for a guy on an expiring contract in a win now move when the team is terrible...fully expecting Poles to burn through every dollar of cap and move future assets to win next year if it means saving his job

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
LOL they are saying other teams offered less and that teams were leary of acquiring him without extension making offers contingent on that

Then Ryan f***ing Poles called them up and said "I gotta an offer for you"
this true? please say no

It's just such a typical Bears move not to be able to come to a deal with home grown talent. It doesn't matter who the head asshole in charge is, he's still an asshole. They hire the same type of management every single time we go through this, and find themselves coming back full circle every time. I, too, am about done with this franchise. Might be shopping for a football and baseball team to root for in the next few months.
Let Bezos put an AFC team here and give people the option to support another team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad