OT: Bears & NFL Talk 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Step 1: Approve trade request and allow JJ to see how much other teams will pay him if he doesn't sign with the Bears.
Step 2: Once JJ has found out how much other teams are willing to pay him, don't trade him.

Smooth.
It’s normal in the NFL to have similar things happen but like I said earlier, this organization has earned zero benefit of the doubt. And when you acquire a player in the same exact situation and hamstring yourself in terms of the tag/transition tag..?? Dumb as f***.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Biggest trade deadline loser: You guessed it

1. Chicago Bears

They whiffed at the trade deadline a year ago, giving away what became the equivalent of a first-round pick for suspect wide receiver Chase Claypool, and did so again this year, trading a second-round pick for Washington Commanders defensive end Montez Sweat and not moving disgruntled cornerback Jaylon Johnson. Multiple general managers — who spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid without damaging their ability to negotiate with teams in the future — complained that the Bears waited until effectively midnight to make Johnson available, minimizing the window to land him.

“[Bears General Manager Ryan] Poles f---ed it up again,” said one general manager who was in the cornerback market.

“You can’t wait until midnight and then tell everyone in the middle of the night, ‘Now he can seek a trade,’ ” said another general manager, “and then expect teams to compete to negotiate the deal and get to know the player and work something out with the agent. That should have happened two weeks ago.” Another executive who was in talks with Poles said: “He has a really difficult time under the clock. Personally, I don’t get what they did. That’s going to be, what, the 35th pick for Sweat?” Others also panned that deal.

“You can’t make that trade without having him signed,” the second general manager said. “Can you imagine what happens if Sweat gets hurt and they don’t have a deal? What’s the comp pick going to be then [if he leaves as a free agent]? I heard he was going to Atlanta for a [third-round pick] and then Poles swooped in and blew them away. I don’t get it.”

And with the Bears at 2-6, Sweat is unlikely to turn around another lost season.

“Doesn’t make sense for where Chicago is,” the first general manager said. “I’d have rather just traded [a third-round pick] for Chase Young” — the other Commanders edge rusher who went to the San Francisco 49ers at that price. “They should have been selling.” "

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
When is Kevin Warren going to see through this Poles-Eberflus clown duo?

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Two years from now, the only interior OL left would be the oft-injured Jenkins. That's the kind of masterful job "guru" Poles has done after two years of rebuilding that he thought was "75-80%" complete. On the DL side, he just put himself over the barrel by giving the player he traded for ALL the negotiating leverage in the world while surrendering yet another high 2nd-round pick, for a 2-6 team.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh and the rest of the League can't wait to deal with this pretender GM again.

In contrast, Philly somehow got an All-Pro safety from TN while only giving up a 5th and a 6th plus one of their own whom they wanted to upgrade from.

Last edited:

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010

“We see him as a long, fast, explosive, relentless defensive end that can help us in the run and in the pass game,” Poles said. “I see him as a multiplier. He’s going to allow everyone to play better — out entire defensive front, our corners, our safeties. And hopefully, creating turnovers and stops.”

Uh oh. How's that "long" MLB signed for 18mil/yr working out, compared to the midget named Roquan either here or in Baltimore?

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010

“I get the question,” Poles said when asked why he still thinks Eberflus is the right coach. “I see his approach through adversity, [and] it is stable, man. And I know in the outside world it doesn’t look like that. And I know it looks like we’re far away. But this dude comes in every day and just keeps chipping away.

I'm shocked Poles didn't substitute "long" for "stable" there, in defense of his CEO-style HC.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Biggest trade deadline loser: You guessed it

“Doesn’t make sense for where Chicago is,” the first general manager said. “I’d have rather just traded [a third-round pick] for Chase Young” — the other Commanders edge rusher who went to the San Francisco 49ers at that price. “They should have been selling.” "

That's a weird comment from that GM. After having gotten themselves out of the logjam with 2 players' potentially needing a tag, the Commanders still immediately turned around and jettisoned Chase Young for a 3rd round comp pick. If that's not a damning condemnation of Young, I don't know what is.

Given the return in the Young trade, isn't it safe to say that no team in the league was particularly interested in trading a 3rd rounder for Young, for whatever reason?

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Incredibly stupid that they traded for Sweat without having a contract extension in place, or at least close. Sweat can now extract more money from the Bears than literally any other team because he knows how terrible it would look for them to lose him in FA. We could franchise tag him, I guess, but why would we trade a high second so we can have tough contracts negotiations with a player when we already are having one with JJ? Makes no sense. I was pretty agnostic on Poles' future after this season but now I'm leaning fairly hard towards firing him. Clean house.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Two years from now, the only interior OL left would be the oft-injured Jenkins. That's the kind of masterful job "guru" Poles has done after two years of rebuilding that he thought was "75-80%" complete. On the DL side, he just put himself over the barrel by giving the player he traded for ALL the negotiating leverage in the world while surrendering yet another high 2nd-round pick, for a 2-6 team.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh and the rest of the League can't wait to deal with this pretender GM again.

In contrast, Philly somehow got an All-Pro safety from TN while only giving up a 5th and a 6th plus one of their own whom they wanted to upgrade from.

Where are Darnell wright and Nate Davis going?

Incredibly stupid that they traded for Sweat without having a contract extension in place, or at least close. Sweat can now extract more money from the Bears than literally any other team because he knows how terrible it would look for them to lose him in FA. We could franchise tag him, I guess, but why would we trade a high second so we can have tough contracts negotiations with a player when we already are having one with JJ? Makes no sense. I was pretty agnostic on Poles' future after this season but now I'm leaning fairly hard towards firing him. Clean house.

Roquan smith signed his contract on January 10 after the ravens traded for him. People need to chill out a little

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Roquan smith signed his contract on January 10 after the ravens traded for him. People need to chill out a little
First, the Ravens are a win-now team that is historically a good team. It's easier to sign players when you're good than when you're bad. In addition, the Ravens could lose a late-round 2nd for a win-now rental, even if it isn't ideal. If the Bears lose Sweat, that would be an absolute disaster. So the leverage between team and player isn't really comparable between the two situations.

Sweat's comments of being non-committal are what's more troubling. You're right that they could sign him in a month and it's whatever, but it's still not great that Sweat has a ton of leverage over the Bears right now.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Trading ANOTHER top 40 pick for a guy in a non-perfect situation.

We now have two of our better players on the roster in a possible franchise tag/transition tag situation. Only 1 tag. Team is 2-6. Two coaches fired with HR involved.

Its just stupid. Team gets zero benefit of the doubt. You can't trade top 40 picks in the NFL for guys that aren't close to sure things. Those prospects and contracts just have to much value.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
First, the Ravens are a win-now team that is historically a good team. It's easier to sign players when you're good than when you're bad. In addition, the Ravens could lose a late-round 2nd for a win-now rental, even if it isn't ideal. If the Bears lose Sweat, that would be an absolute disaster. So the leverage between team and player isn't really comparable between the two situations.

Sweat's comments of being non-committal are what's more troubling. You're right that they could sign him in a month and it's whatever, but it's still not great that Sweat has a ton of leverage over the Bears right now.

The ravens weren’t trading for roquan for a rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad