OT: Bears & NFL Talk 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site

“I get the question,” Poles said when asked why he still thinks Eberflus is the right coach. “I see his approach through adversity, [and] it is stable, man. And I know in the outside world it doesn’t look like that. And I know it looks like we’re far away. But this dude comes in every day and just keeps chipping away.

I'm shocked Poles didn't substitute "long" for "stable" there, in defense of his CEO-style HC.
That was the biggest pile of lies I've heard. To watch it and see the pause at the beginning of answering, to find and think about the words he is choosing carefully.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_6899.png

Extension everyone was waiting for

Reactions: Idionym

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
View attachment 761811

Extension everyone was waiting for
I unironically really like it. I like everything about Billings on the 1Tech spot. He stops the run, he's massive, he looks funny when he chases someone down. What's not to love? Sure, he doesn't get much QB pressure, but neither does anyone else on the D-line.

It's probably Poles best signing to date, and not just because the bar is so low.

Reactions: Idionym

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I unironically really like it. I like everything about Billing on the 1Tech spot. He stops the run, he's massive, he looks funny when he chases someone down. What's not to love? Sure, he doesn't get much QB pressure, but neither does anyone else on the D-line.

It's probably Poles best signing to date, and not just because the bar is so low.
He’s not a liability rushing the passer. Can collapse the pocket with regularity.

BRayne

May 5, 2011
I unironically really like it. I like everything about Billings on the 1Tech spot. He stops the run, he's massive, he looks funny when he chases someone down. What's not to love? Sure, he doesn't get much QB pressure, but neither does anyone else on the D-line.

The time where he subbed in late and had to sprint in from the sideline as the play began was one of the most fun things to happen this season.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Hmm

So the Bears get an elite talent in Sweat, who has been durable and rarely misses games, for a draft pick that what, has an 80% chance of not being a player as good as him?

All this while the Bears have cap space to burn and people are actually saying Sweats gonna take Poles to the cleaners when they currently have the most cap space avalible in 2024.

And now it comes out the Commanders were leary in giving out Youngs medicals, and let's just point out he hasn't played more then 15 games but once in his career, and what the Bears did is bad?

Good lord. Let's just silently point out how the Hawks dole out contracts to washed up has beens and how great it is yet here Poles goes out and get impact players starting their prime for draft picks and how horribly wrong it is.....

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Hmm

So the Bears get an elite talent in Sweat, who has been durable and rarely misses games, for a draft pick that what, has an 80% chance of not being a player as good as him?

All this while the Bears have cap space to burn and people are actually saying Sweats gonna take Poles to the cleaners when they currently have the most cap space avalible in 2024.

And now it comes out the Commanders were leary in giving out Youngs medicals, and let's just point out he hasn't played more then 15 games but once in his career, and what the Bears did is bad?

Good lord. Let's just silently point out how the Hawks dole out contracts to washed up has beens and how great it is yet here Poles goes out and get impact players starting their prime for draft picks and how horribly wrong it is.....
These are just not remotely comparable situations in the slightest. It's certainly not an insane take to like the trade, but you definitely don't need to reach this hard to support your point.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
These are just not remotely comparable situations in the slightest. It's certainly not an insane take to like the trade, but you definitely don't need to reach this hard to support your point.
I forget that both teams are rebuilding...

One team is bringing in elite talent to move up faster in their rebuild while the other is trading away elite talent for magic beans. Elite talent that would have looked great playing with a generational talent.

Let's just point out- Sweat will be a better player then whomever Wash takes with that second rounder while Debrincat and Hagel will be better then whomever Davidson takes with those draft picks.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

One team is bringing in elite talent to move up faster in their rebuild while the other is trading away elite talent for magic beans. Elite talent that would have looked great playing with a generational talent.

Let's just point out- Sweat will be a better player then whomever Wash takes with that second rounder while Debrincat and Hagel will be better then whomever Davidson takes with those draft picks.

Just like Claypool would be better than whatever second rounder (only turned into 32nd pick cuz of forfeited pick) Steelers pick with that right..... (Joey Porter Jr. is pretty good)

Sweat.. an edge rusher.. the guy whose career high of sacks in a season is 9 an "elite talent". You can't make this stuff up.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland

Could have signed him in off-season without giving away a 2nd.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Just like Claypool would be better than whatever second rounder (only turned into 32nd pick cuz of forfeited pick) Steelers pick with that right..... (Joey Porter Jr. is pretty good)
And that means what, exactly, with this year's pick?

Sweat.. an edge rusher.. the guy whose career high of sacks in a season is 9 an "elite talent". You can't make this stuff up.
Lol wat?

Could have signed him in off-season without giving away a 2nd.
And now they can tag him and get time to extend him.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
All of those guys have had 10+ sacks in a season(s) before, hell all of them 12+. Talk to me when Sweat eclipses 10+ in a season (he finally may actually do that this season) yet alone 12+. Cherry picking an article for 5+ sacks... "elite" production.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
That's quite the assumption, given that Atlanta had a conditional 2nd on the table (2nd if Sweat signed), and 6+ teams were rumored to be in on Sweat half a week before the deadline.

Sweat wasn't hitting free agency.
Agreed. If you look at the list of free agent defensive ends signed in the last couple of years, there's nobody as talented as Sweat; maybe a couple you could argue would be upgrades to D Walker but that's it.

I completely understand and would agree with those disliking the trade from the asset management standpoint. But at somepoint the Bears have got to get players who pressure the QB. Filling that immediate need through the draft with anybody nearly as good as Sweat is highly unlikely (Garrett, Mack, Watt, Burns all 1st round picks, Jones at #37). Besides, the Bears have other needs that must be addressed in the draft (QB?, WR?, DB/S, O-line).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad