OT: Bears & NFL Talk 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
bears are really not in a position to pay an early 2nd for a guy that can force his way to ufa next year, if they tag him and he will not sign an extension then his value goes from early 2nd to a day 2 pick in a calendar year where they will still be a bad team most likely, massive downside deal, everything has to go right for the draft capital and contract to pay off, if he signs

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Fired in the middle of night, damn

McDaniels leaves another team in ruins as he gets kicked out the door after less than 2 years.

This should close door on McDaniels HC career

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I like Montez Sweat and I don't hate the deal like others but I'm not exactly in love with it.

Look, Poles have made some questionable moves but trading for Sweat is not one of them (at least not yet). Can we tone down the Poles nagging for the time being?

But here's a crazy thought: what if trading for Sweat and keeping Jaylen Johnson means Coach Everlose is kept for a third year? I would be more piss about that than anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panzerspitze

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
How long until another team hires McDaniels as head coach despite the trifecta of hell red flags?

1) Pats coordinator,
2) Lousy head coaching record, and
3) Utterly torched the Colts after they hired him to such an unprofessional degree that his own agent dropped him like a sack of **** as a result.

I would've #3 especially would've precluded him from any HC gig forever, but a lot of NFL teams are clearly run by morons.

Reactions: Pez68

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
How long until another team hires McDaniels as head coach despite the trifecta of hell red flags?

1) Pats coordinator,
2) Lousy head coaching record, and
3) Utterly torched the Colts after they hired him to such an unprofessional degree that his own agent dropped him like a sack of **** as a result.

I would've #3 especially would've precluded him from any HC gig forever, but a lot of NFL teams are clearly run by morons.
Don't forget the Denver Broncos/Jay Cutler thing. McDaniels might have to go to college to get his next job.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
For a human resource reason. Coach Everlose really knows how to pick them.
I appreciate it when a coach checks every box on the fire-me list. Over his two seasons head coaching, there will have been turmoil in the locker room, a couple of assistant coaches have been let go for non-football related reasons, and the best QB he has beaten is (for all intents and purposes) rookie Sam Howell.

Reactions: Pez68

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
is it true that the bears really traded for sweat and said they don't have a framework in place for a long term extension but will try...if so truly awful move by poles, like even if they get the extension done is still probably no good but potentially claypool bad if he just refuses to sign

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I thought when it was announced, it was tentative and though they were gonna do an extension. That's awful to just go with that.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
is it true that the bears really traded for sweat and said they don't have a framework in place for a long term extension but will try...if so truly awful move by poles, like even if they get the extension done is still probably no good but potentially claypool bad if he just refuses to sign
If he refuses to sign, it's still better than Claypool in hindsight.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If he refuses to sign, it's still better than Claypool in hindsight.
turning early 2nd round picks into day two picks when you're like 3 years away from competing is idiotic, poles and eberflus are worse than pace and nagy by a lot ainec

I thought when it was announced, it was tentative and though they were gonna do an extension. That's awful to just go with that.
saw a tweet that they plan to make an effort to sign him lol, f***ing terrible from poles and co, and other teams only offered a 3rd

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
turning early 2nd round picks into day two picks when you're like 3 years away from competing is idiotic, poles and eberflus are worse than pace and nagy by a lot ainec

saw a tweet that they plan to make an effort to sign him lol, f***ing terrible from poles and co, and other teams only offered a 3rd
Sure, if the team fail to sign or tag Sweat, turning an early 2nd into a comp 3rd, that would be really bad. Will that happen?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Sure, if the team fail to sign or tag Sweat, turning an early 2nd into a comp 3rd, that would be really bad. Will that happen?
what exactly is the upside in this deal when the team is probably 2-3 years from being a contender, even assuming he signs for 4-5 years, his best years will be when they're unlikely to be playing meaningful games...we know what the downside is, poles apparently doesn't but he probably knows he'll be canned if they're awful again next year so what does he care

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
what exactly is the upside in this deal when the team is probably 2-3 years from being a contender, even assuming he signs for 4-5 years, his best years will be when they're unlikely to be playing meaningful games...we know what the downside is, poles apparently doesn't but he probably knows he'll be canned if they're awful again next year so what does he care
The upside would be to have a contender worthy edge in 2-3 years if that's when they hope to be a contender, no? Their line sucks, either hope to get an edge in FA or the draft, or get the more sure thing this way.

Is that the right thing to do, or should they have hoped that a FA is willing to sign with the Bears without their overpaying or hope they hit in the draft? Arguable. If you have no faith in Poles, or more faith in his drafting than his actual team building, the answer is obviously that he shouldn't have traded the 2nd rounder.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

shheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

IMG_6894.gif
IMG_6895.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events