Be A Pro thread

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think I'm gonna try to GTFO of Calgary soon--maybe finish out the season with them, but I might request a trade.

Since playing about .500 hockey through the first 25 games, we went into a massive tailspin and have gone something like 4-18 since.

Stats for Nick Anderson:
45 GP, 11 G, 9 A, 20 pts.

Sadly, I'm still something like 5th on my team in scoring, since no one aside from the top line of Glencross-Cammalleri-Jones and Mark Giordano can score.

My linemates, Comeau and Stempniak, have combined for 11 goals so far on the year, so I doubt I'm gonna reach 23 assists/39 points, but I'm still first in Calder voting.

Both Kiprusoff and MacDonald are surrendering more than 3 GPG. Recently, Kipper gave up a goal on an untipped, unscreened backhand from the blue line. WTF EA.

I simmed about 10 full games since I got sick of losing, and we lost 2 games by blowing 4 goal leads in that stretch.

The only remotely cool thing that's happened at all recently was that I kept us from being shutout by Edmonton by scoring while we were down two men and got the coast to coast achievement.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I made myself be drafted by Calgary (yes, I cheated). For NHL14, I decided to be a play making center (I usually like playing OFD).

FO% not so great, 45%ish (can't remember it, later 40's).

Seasonal 2013/14 NHL stats - 64 GP, 35 goals - 72 assists - 107 points, 167 PIMS
Seasonal 2013/14 AHL stats - 13 GP, 7 goals - 25 assists - 32 points, 55 PIMS

I got injured for a few games, and the Flames management decided to slot me in the AHL, where I put up a 2.46 PPG. That didn't last very long haha. Put up a respectable 1.67 PPG in the NHL.

And yes, I did play on hardcore simulation/superstar.

Cruoris

Devourer of goals
Jul 24, 2014
Am I the only one that DOESN'T want to stick and would prefer being sent down to the AHL? I started off playing through an entire CHL season with my 5'10", 270-pound, LW wrecking ball power forward. Played through every single game. Did pretty good. Knocked a lot of heads (650+ of them), racked up a crap-ton of points... but nothing surprising playing vs.50-60 overall failed abortions.

Dude ended up getting drafted #1 overall by the Jets. I knew going in it was going to be a lot harder, but Superstar difficulty in the NHL with my low attributes... *******. I went from shredding guys left and right to being an absolute man-boy. Occasionally I'll get in a big hit, but more often than not, I just bounce off people, and I'm not at all surprised by it. My player's totally outclassed in every single way, and my teammates seem to think it's a Saturday free skate at the local arena. My player needs a LOT more development, the kind he could get in the AHL. Unfortunately for him, he's not going there, I'm not racking up a whole lot of experience points and I doubt I will be anytime soon.

Cause we can't get wins, and there's no way the coach is getting rid of me unless I act like an utter and complete ass hole, and I told myself I wouldn't. This game can be frustrating as hell sometimes. Feels like I'm trying to carry the entire team every single game, and I'm getting crushed under its weight. I'm leading the team in the points department right now, and that doesn't mean a whole lot. I fought my ass off to get 2 goals and 3 assists... in 8 games, and we've only managed to win 1. I always sim to the next shift, and the other lines never score. OK, almost never score. The only time they DID score was when I had a big 3-point game. Then they lit up the board a few times.

Anyways, yeah... the coach "loves" me. I currently seem to be his proverbial crutch. If we don't win the Stanley cup, it'll all be the star rookie's fault. We're going 1-7-0 right now. I was hoping for a send-down, but instead, he moved me up to the second line. Media loves ripping into me, too. "So you were a real turnover machine out there tonight, what was that all about?" Let's see... maybe it's my dumbass teammates forgetting how to receive a perfect pass when they're completely open, drifting up the neutral zone, preferring to watch it slide past them and into the other team's possession. Or maybe never REALLY having possession of the puck in the first place, and having to fight for it as it flicks back and forth after breaking up a pass. But, you know... you had it for .01 seconds. Or maybe it was when I cleared the zone on the PK, but... whoops... I used the pass button instead of shooting cause the situation called for it, a.k.a. I didn't want to get crushed before getting rid of the puck, and passing up is faster than shooting.

"You had a few long shifts out there tonight. Like, come on, man. What's going on? lololol" Whoever said that the Jets were sieves was absolutely right, that's what's going on. It seems like their idea of breaking out of the defensive zone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off and then hugging the boards 'til the other team takes the puck away. Definitely doesn't involve passing me the puck when I'm completely open for a breakout. Cause slapping to the other side across the boards behind the net is a much greater idea. Even though it gets intercepted every single time, or creates another tie-up on the boards, which can go on forever or until the other team scores. I end up having to compensate for these ******-nozzles CONSTANTLY. If I try to stay in position, we end up getting tied up in our own zone eternally.

My teammates also seem to be massive puck hogs that step offside whenever I try to walk the puck in. Even though they're not that far ahead of me, and their positioning is ****tier than mine cause they're trying for the center when it's completely blocked off. I'd go on a rant about the other team scoring the second I step on the ice, but that's been covered enough already and I don't have the energy.

In the words of Denis Lemieux: "Trade me right ****ing now."

Never wanted to play for the Jets to begin with. Despite all that, I told myself I was going to tough it out for as long as humanly possible. Really don't feel like giving ass hole responses. Think I'm going to let my ELC run out, or apparently I can ask for a trade after my second season. Just sucks cause I feel like my player's development is going to be gimped by this, from all the missed experience points.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Ended the season. Calgary ended up going 37-37-8. We went on a 9 game winning streak at one point, which was pretty sweet.

Nick Anderson's stats:
82 GP, 15 G, 16 A, 31 pts.

Didn't notch 23 assists/39 points, but got all of my other goals.
Finished 3rd in Calder voting, 2nd in rookie scoring.
The Islanders won the Stanley Cup. Glad to see the EA sim engine is realistic.
I think I'll stick with Calgary for part of next year, and if they're still horrible around the quarter mark of the season, I'll ask for a trade.
Also, anyone know how to do custom AI strategy? I wanna change it so my teammates do something other than skate into a corner and get board played or try to puck protect to the middle and lose the puck.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
SHOCKWAVES EMANATE FROM ThE GTA

Toronto residents stirred in stunned silence to the announcement that June morning

After 5 seasons, 5 straight Stanley Cups, the Leaf's captain will not be re-signing in Toronto.

Romper Stomper scored 1043 points in a blue and white sweater, and in only 410 games

When asked, "why leave the team that has brought you such success?" Stomper's only reply:

"My back is sore"

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
Has anybody became a captain yet. I have 203 points in my rookie season. and have 260 points and i've played 54 games. I was the captain of the allstar game, but not for my team. and also i'm a defencemen

Ghost AsylumX91

May 15, 2013
Canada
So I made a new pro age 15 in OHL swimming all games with the penalty off my guy is a beast on the ice and was 86 overall at the draft but got drafted 63rd overall. Wtf I requested a trade right after signing the entry deal cause I didn't want to play for Florida. So Pittsburgh traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for me a 3rd round pick that just got drafted and not played a single pro game. Its weird right?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Does anyone play goalie? That **** is impossible.

It really is.

I actually know what I'm doing in goal, but there's so many unpredictable ****** bounces it's impossible. Like you will be in perfect position, your defenseman will block a shot and then their forward just slots home an easy rebound.

Then there are the times when you literally can't win, like when the player comes in on you from the corner, you try to be patient and cover the short side and they just do the ridiculous drag back and curl it around you, and if you overplay it to try to stop them doing the ridiculous drag back and curl round you they just shoot it short side :shakehead

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It really is.

I actually know what I'm doing in goal, but there's so many unpredictable ****** bounces it's impossible. Like you will be in perfect position, your defenseman will block a shot and then their forward just slots home an easy rebound.

Then there are the times when you literally can't win, like when the player comes in on you from the corner, you try to be patient and cover the short side and they just do the ridiculous drag back and curl it around you, and if you overplay it to try to stop them doing the ridiculous drag back and curl round you they just shoot it short side :shakehead

Given the mind blowing stupidity of your AIs, and the fact that the computer AIs have no such handicap, being a goalie has to be the worst thing ever, IMO.

Speaking of AI idiocy, my team blew a 4-0 lead in the 3rd to freaking Phoenix. I love trying to scramble into the play because my teammate made a horrible change. It's so awesome to watch the AI defensemen do nothing but back up as the CPU cuts to the slot, shoots, and scores...same as the previous million games.

Also, Chris Butler's even dumber in this game than IRL. We win the draw in our own end to Butler. He has the puck about 2 feet away from our goalie, attempts to clear on his backhand. Martin Hanzal is literally an inch away from him as he tries this. Hanzal easily blocks the clearing attempt, scores instantly, I get a minus.

I've been stuck on Rookie 3 for****ing EVER because the game thinks I should be able to get a plus 7 despite the broken defense and your teammates' inability to do anything on offense but take harmless perimeter shots and get stuck on the boards.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Scrapped my Calgary player, decided to re-start with beginning at the memorial cup/draft.

This game mode is so much better when your team doesn't suck.

Got drafted by Montreal in the 2nd round.

So far, stats for Nick Anderson, the 72 OVR RW TWF:
33 GP, 13 G, 18 A, 31 PTS.

I scored the same amount of points in Calgary over the entire season, playing on the same All Star Simulation settings. It's refreshing to see your team successfully break out of the zone most times, and to actually get rewarded for going to the right places on the ice and making smart passes because your teammates will get you the puck or convert on chances that you create for them.

Currently the Canadiens are around 8th in the conference.

Cruoris

Devourer of goals
Jul 24, 2014
It really is.

Same problems here.

Also: nigh-on-impossible-to-stop one-timers. I see the situation developing constantly, but I've only managed to make the save a couple times. Just barely. And those felt like sheer luck. Doesn't matter if the apparent shooter's high in the slot, low in the slot or by the boards. If you stand your ground to face the shot, the puck gets passed cross crease instead, and there's no way to slide over in time to make the save. If, on the other hand, you decide to slide across, or even just move over a bit, that puck's going in shortside, over your shoulder. Almost guaranteed.

The one thing EA manages to do really well with this goalie mode is frustrate the **** out of me. I've never cursed so much at a game before, or wanted to go all Hextall on my PS3. Accomplishment unlocked, EA.

Cruoris

Devourer of goals
Jul 24, 2014
Also, is it just me, or can people run you as much as they want and not get a penalty for it unless the puck goes in the net? I've gotten outright charged a few times, got laid flat out on my back. The commentators got indignant and chirped out, "Hey, you can't do that!" but play continued as if nothing had happened.

Last edited:

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Welp, I got sent down to the AHL. Cause, ya know, averaging nearly a PPG as a rookie over 50+ games, blocking tons of shots, and playing solid defense wasn't impressive enough.
This comes after I got kicked off the first line for screwing up one of those "every possible scenario is bad" off ice events.
I got replaced by Rene Bourque.

Our stats:
Nick Anderson--57 GP, 20 G, 32 A, 52 pts.
Running away with the Calder--the next highest scorer has 20 points, at the most.
Rene Bourque--57 GP, 6 G, 12 A, 18 pts.

How did EA manage to make such a broken game mode when literally every other major sports franchise has at least a passable, decent version of LTL/Be a Pro/My Career?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Montreal decided to keep my butt in the AHL til the playoffs were over. So, I don't win the Calder. Cool, thanks.
Then, I see the pop up of "playoffs have ended."
The Canadiens won the Cup.
Of course, not being on the NHL team means I didn't win crap.

**** you, EA.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Got drafted by Chicago, played for them for a season or two, was a bad man, asked for a trade.. I was then traded to Detroit, resigned there for one year, and then signed with Calgary for one year, and just resigned with them for 4 years at 4.5million per..

If we don't make the playoffs this season I'm asking for a trade

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Quick question. Which game aside from NHL 14 has the best be a pro type mode? Madden 25? NBA 2k14? Im looking to pick up a new game after work today and am torn on which to get.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Quick question. Which game aside from NHL 14 has the best be a pro type mode? Madden 25? NBA 2k14? Im looking to pick up a new game after work today and am torn on which to get.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia

Mlb the show is the best if you have PS. Madden is decent. i heard fifa is fun too. never enjoyed the nba one though

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Mlb the show is the best if you have PS. Madden is decent. i heard fifa is fun too. never enjoyed the nba one though

Thanks. I will wait for the price drop in the show. I ended up going with Madden 25 because I already have an Xbox one (unfortunately), never played a Madden game, got it for only $20, and only have 2 games for the Xbox. Figure as well it may be used as something other than a $500 netflix player.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
So I'm in the middle of my be a pro Gino Lucia a Sniper with some durability issues (reflects my real life in which I recently had a back injury that doctors said I should just quit hockey with [yeah right])
I started off in the CHL being draft eligible 2014 and woth the Portland Winterhawks since they have a history of drafting Minnesota players in the Bantam Draft in late rounds.

Anyways the back injury means my player will never increase durability and it can also explains why despite having such a great season in the WHL that he got drafted 3rd round 67th overall by the Washington Capitals.

2013-2014 WHL Portland Winterhawks 72GP--49Goals--40Assists--89Points--+59 17 years old
2014-2015 WHL Portland Winterhawks 72GP--54Goals--51Assists--105Points--+43 18 years old
2015-2016 WHL Portland Winterhawks 72GP--87Goals--56Assists--143Points--+53 19 years old
2016-2017 NHL Washington Capitals 37GP--9Goals--13Assists--22Points-- -3 20 years old 88overall

Not done with the 2016-2017 season I am a couple weeks away from the all star break. Playing on a line with Backström 94 overall and Kuznetzov 90 overall. Don't now how everybody on my team is so good, Nick Foligno is 88 and ovechkin is 97

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So I'm in the middle of my be a pro Gino Lucia a Sniper with some durability issues (reflects my real life in which I recently had a back injury that doctors said I should just quit hockey with [yeah right])
I started off in the CHL being draft eligible 2014 and woth the Portland Winterhawks since they have a history of drafting Minnesota players in the Bantam Draft in late rounds.

Anyways the back injury means my player will never increase durability and it can also explains why despite having such a great season in the WHL that he got drafted 3rd round 67th overall by the Washington Capitals.

2013-2014 WHL Portland Winterhawks 72GP--49Goals--40Assists--89Points--+59 17 years old
2014-2015 WHL Portland Winterhawks 72GP--54Goals--51Assists--105Points--+43 18 years old
2015-2016 WHL Portland Winterhawks 72GP--87Goals--56Assists--143Points--+53 19 years old
2016-2017 NHL Washington Capitals 37GP--9Goals--13Assists--22Points-- -3 20 years old 88overall

Not done with the 2016-2017 season I am a couple weeks away from the all star break. Playing on a line with Backström 94 overall and Kuznetzov 90 overall. Don't now how everybody on my team is so good, Nick Foligno is 88 and ovechkin is 97

They get boosts if the team is playing well. I'm on the Hawks, and for a while, I was the worst player in the top 6 at 92 overall (we kind of dominated)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad