Barzal Or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Barzal gets a linemates, excuse. How nice. Linemates don’t matter for other players but for barzal now that he’s a. 1C and facing the leagues best competition his linemates matter? The islanders score tons of goals they were 8th place last year in goals for and this year haven’t looked but would be surprised if they weren’t top ten. Offense rolls through that team. He’s part of it but the more teams score the easier it is to be apart of the scoring.
You are trippin’ fella. Nobody’s making excuses, just stating my observations from last nights game. You need to chill.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
You are trippin’ fella. Nobody’s making excuses, just stating my observations from last nights game. You need to chill.

Not trippin, and perfectly chill.

I just think it’s awfully convenient. Maybe this is a misguided statement on my part since this wasn’t you so for that I agree, apologies.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I think Matthews is the better player but almost all of that comes from him being a better goal scorer versus Barzal and a better 5 v 5 player. I’d probably have my tiers like

McDavid

Mackinnon/Matthews

Barzal/Barkov/Eichel/...

I think if you look at 5v5 points there’s a clear separation between McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon and the rest, and then when you look at offense generated in general there’s a separation between McDavid and Mackinnon/Matthews

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Barzal had 3 shots on net last night. That's his high water mark for the season. Maybe a sign he's about to start generating more offence again.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I will take the guy who has scored more than 70 points and plays more and his more durable. Easily. Barzal

Easily, eh?

Barzal hit 85 points as a rookie. Matthews still hasn’t hit 70 and is easily injured. It’s a lot closer then people will admit. Matthews is the far better goal scorer but Barzal is arguably the better overall player.

Arguably better in which ways?

Id still like to read some instances of what makes Matthews laughably or significantly better than Barzal. Alot of people are saying that but not saying why and acting like it's a no brainer.

I can understand why some people slightly give an edge to one or the other, but its just strange for me seeing people act like its a landslide win for Matthews.

Are you still wondering?

But would you take an injury prone Matthews over Barzal?

Yes.

If you think Barzal is more than a 70 pt player....Barzal

Interesting.

Matthews.

I'd take Marner over Barzal too.

And Barzal's rookie season had him 1 point shy of your savior Tavares' career high... and 16 points over Marner as a rookie center.

Yes, I lol'd at your fellow Leafs fans homerism, but yours is brilliant too. Carry on.

Are you still laughing, Andrei? Matthews with 3 more pts in 12 fewer games. Marner with nearly double points.

We’re jaut a bunch of homers though, right?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
For the people earlier in the thread using Barzal's rookie year vs Matthews rookie year as evidence of Barzal being as good.. please go take a look at the amount of guys scoring at Matthews rookie pace in that season vs in Barzal's rookie year. The slashing rules (my theory) significantly increased the amount of "star players" during Barzal's rookie year, and as a result, makes it unfair to compare.

Reactions: IPS

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Just an example of folks not knowing shit. A similar case to Dahlin and Pettersson. Most likely amazing rookie years, but generational and such ? Nooo.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
And this is exactly why Barzal is one of the most underrated players in the league, Matthews is not a tier above Barzal. I think I remember leafs fans saying that in the beginning of the season with MacKinnon. And now look. They're in the same tier, however, Matthews is better right now. They are also two very different players. Matthews is predominantly a goal-scorer, Barzal is a playmaker. Both are very good in their respective departments

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
And this is exactly why Barzal is one of the most underrated players in the league, Matthews is not a tier above Barzal. I think I remember leafs fans saying that in the beginning of the season with MacKinnon. And now look. They're in the same tier, however, Matthews is better right now. They are also two very different players. Matthews is predominantly a goal-scorer, Barzal is a playmaker. Both are very good in their respective departments
I think Matthews is a tier above Barzal . This is the first year both have faced roughly the same competition and so far Barzal is struggling. He could adapt and get better but right now it's clear Matthews is a tier above him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Matthews is outscoring Barzal in half the games played....

They arent in the same tier.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Thread aging poorly

Barzal 21 points in 27 games. (We told you things would change when Tavares wasn't taking the top assignments and playing a normal system but we were crazy....)

Matthews 24 points in 15 games.

It's not even close.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Thread aging poorly

Barzal 21 points in 27 games. (We told you things would change when Tavares wasn't taking the top assignments and playing a normal system but we were crazy....)

Matthews 24 points in 15 games.

It's not even close.
Marner is also better

Reactions: bionic

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Marner is also better

I’m not even convinced Barzal is better than Kapanen. Let alone Matthews, Marner or Tavares.

Barzal v Kapanen is the real comparison, but even then, Kapanen looks like the better offensive producer and the much better defensive player.

If Barzal gets a payday, he really needs to give half his salary to Tavares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad