Barzal Or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Wow, this thread right here is a complete embarrassment for many.

The issue is that people used to be able to dump on the Leafs as they pleased and most of the time they were right because the team sucked and the management sucked. However the last 4 years on here has been a shift in most people being wrong and Leaf fans being right.

So what we see are people who have not accepted the Leafs as being legit still holding onto their old habits and chirping the moment something goes wrong because to them, the Leafs were never legit and will fall back to earth in their place along the other bubble teams / non playoff teams. And they end up looking really out to lunch on some of these.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Thread aging poorly

Barzal 21 points in 27 games. (We told you things would change when Tavares wasn't taking the top assignments and playing a normal system but we were crazy....)

Matthews 24 points in 15 games.

It's not even close.

The islanders haven’t scored on the powerplay in 9.... never mind, it’s not worth it. Matthews is and will likely be better (if he can stay healthy) but there’s sooo many factors being ignored by the leaf ces pool.

Then again, why am I surprised.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The islanders haven’t scored on the powerplay in 9.... never mind, it’s not worth it. Matthews is and will likely be better (if he can stay healthy) but there’s sooo many factors being ignored by the leaf ces pool.

So?

9 out of his 21 points have come on the PP. Thats 42%. Way more than what he had last season.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Keeps trying to look for the perfect play to set up. With his skating just find a seem to get to an open spot and fire it. Be selfish for once.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017

Big deal if they havnt scored in 9 on the pp? Who's fault is that? I'll tell you who's fault it it, Barzals. Plain and simple little Matty B isnt able to shoulder the responsibility of carrying a underperforming franchise for a decade like JT did. To say this season is a disappointment is a understatement,I along with many others though Barzal didnt need JT and was told to expect MB to put up 100pts. Barzal has alot of work to do if he wants to mentioned in the same breath as AM34

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Easily, eh?

Arguably better in which ways?

Are you still wondering?

Yes.

Interesting.

Are you still laughing, Andrei? Matthews with 3 more pts in 12 fewer games. Marner with nearly double points.

We’re jaut a bunch of homers though, right?

Geeze gotta love when people wait till certain players catch fire and certain players have a bit quieter of a season before saying stuff in threads... Nicely played with this reply wow.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It’s nice to watch Leafs fans pull up old threads so that they can jerk each other off.

Its funny i know..

Matthews is a deadly player and one of the best in the league forsure but i gotta say it would be fun to see the amount of points Barzal would put up if he was on the Leafs surrounded by all this talent.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Barzal gets a linemates, excuse. How nice. Linemates don’t matter for other players but for barzal now that he’s a. 1C and facing the leagues best competition his linemates matter? The islanders score tons of goals they were 8th place last year in goals for and this year haven’t looked but would be surprised if they weren’t top ten. Offense rolls through that team. He’s part of it but the more teams score the easier it is to be apart of the scoring.
Surprise! Islanders are actually not even top twenty! Their defence has improved significantly with the addition of Filppula and Komarov, but their offense has dropped without Tavares.

Barzal is more of a playmaker, while Tavares was a scorer. In that way, Marner is a better comparison, but there is a lot of validity to the 'linemates' comment.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I gotta give Leafs fans props though cause your team is so damn fun to watch... Your forward group is ridiculous.

First time ever that i look to tune into Leaf games always!... Skill level up front is off the chart

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Big deal if they havnt scored in 9 on the pp? Who's fault is that? I'll tell you who's fault it it, Barzals. Plain and simple little Matty B isnt able to shoulder the responsibility of carrying a underperforming franchise for a decade like JT did. To say this season is a disappointment is a understatement,I along with many others though Barzal didnt need JT and was told to expect MB to put up 100pts. Barzal has alot of work to do if he wants to mentioned in the same breath as AM34

What exactly did Tavares carry the franchise too?

Tavares while younger didn’t hit the 80 point mark until his 3rd year. He had 67 in his second which is similar to what Barzal will end up with.

And no, you can’t blame Barzal for the powerplay being awful. That’s a ridiculous statement. 4 other guys on the ice bud

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
So?

9 out of his 21 points have come on the PP. Thats 42%. Way more than what he had last season.

He’s struggling, but again there’s a lot to that. As an isles fan I’m not too worried about this year just hope he focuses on some of the nuances trotz is trying to instill in the team.

If he’s not producing again next year I’d start to get worried. The entire team is struggling offensively as most would if an elite player walked. Why are we now pretending sophomore slumps don’t happen?

I digress though as for this thread, Matthews is better.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m not even convinced Barzal is better than Kapanen. Let alone Matthews, Marner or Tavares.

Barzal v Kapanen is the real comparison, but even then, Kapanen looks like the better offensive producer and the much better defensive player.

If Barzal gets a payday, he really needs to give half his salary to Tavares.

Barzal over Kapanen any day of the freaking week. Nice try there buddy.

Barzal is having a slow start right now, but Marner also had a struggle in the first half of last season, then turned it up. Barzal can easily go on a very long hot streak, it's foolish to disregard a player who's scored 85pts in his rookie, none of which Matthews, Marner, freaking Kapanen (LOL) have ever done.

He's also in his 2nd year, and is battling the good ol sophomore slump. Relax. He's on pace for about as many points as Marner had last season.

Good job bumping this thread though. Idiots

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Its funny i know..

Matthews is a deadly player and one of the best in the league forsure but i gotta say it would be fun to see the amount of points Barzal would put up if he was on the Leafs surrounded by all this talent.
It wouldn't change much he'd be ppg maybe a 30 g scorer

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Barzal over Kapanen any day of the freaking week. Nice try there buddy.

Barzal is having a slow start right now, but Marner also had a struggle in the first half of last season, then turned it up. Barzal can easily go on a very long hot streak, it's foolish to disregard a player who's scored 85pts in his rookie, none of which Matthews, Marner, freaking Kapanen (LOL) have ever done.

He's also in his 2nd year, and is battling the good ol sophomore slump. Relax. He's on pace for about as many points as Marner had last season.

Good job bumping this thread though. Idiots

Ya Marners point totals were in the 60s in his first 2 seasons. Barzal hit the 80s in his rookie season last year. This thread is gonna get ugly lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad