Barzal Or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I'm a huge fan of both players and have watched them both a lot. I would say Matthews has the edge right now but Barzal is right there with him.

It really depends on your teams needs. Completely different players. Both players dominate the game in their own way. I personally prefer to watch Barzal play, he might be the most exciting player in the league. I really don't like much about the Islanders, but I find myself watching them quite a bit. He plays a lot like Datsyuk did in his prime.

Can't go wrong with either player. Matthews is a franchise player but the reality is, Barzal looks like one too. Doesn't take anything away from Matthews. Not sure why it offends so many Leafs fans that another young player outside of McDavid might be in company with Matthews.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Exactly, being healthy is a huge part of the game. You’re not helping your team if you’re missing 20 games every year. A healthy Matthews i’d take any day over Barzal.
But would you take an injury prone Matthews over Barzal?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Your "lol" at that post shows your lack of knowledge much more than the poster you quoted.

Marner led the leafs in points last season, was amazing in the playoffs, and has been sensational this season. Don't believe me? Then believe Hrudy and Ferraro who both couldn't say enough about him in recent broadcasts.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm curious about Barzal's scoring ability... in Junior he broke 15 goals just once. Sure he scored 22 goals last season, but was last season an anomaly? He's only scored 1 goal thus far this season, is not getting a lot of shots... but this seems to be more consistent with his hockey career.

Anyone have an opinion whose watched him a lot over his career?

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Your "lol" at that post shows your lack of knowledge much more than the poster you quoted.

Marner led the leafs in points last season, was amazing in the playoffs, and has been sensational this season. Don't believe me? Then believe Hrudy and Ferraro who both couldn't say enough about him in recent broadcasts.
Ya listen to the guys that are paid to inflate the leafs, like heellloooo

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Ya listen to the guys that are paid to inflate the leafs, like heellloooo

This comment proves you have not watched Marner very much at all, and especially not in the second half of last season, the playoffs and early this season.

If Barzal is "lol" better than Marner... than Barzal is already as good as Mcdavid.

Hard to "have to" inflate a player with the below stats:

• 32 points in his final 36 games of last season (on a line with Bozak and JVR)
  • 9 points in 7 playoff games (4 points more than the next leaf)
  • Has 18 points in 14 games thus far this season.
  • 59 points in his past 57 NHL games.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Yes, I'm the one lacking knowledge :laugh:

Good one. Lol at citing Hrudy and Ferraro. Why don't you cite Marner's mom next ?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yes, I'm the one lacking knowledge :laugh:

Good one. Lol at citing Hrudy and Ferraro. Why don't you cite Marner's mom next ?

Yes I'm citing Hrudy and Ferraro.

You made a mom joke.. and laughed about someone suggesting you lack knowledge, all in the same sentence.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This comment proves you have not watched Marner very much at all, and especially not in the second half of last season, the playoffs and early this season.

If Barzal is "lol" better than Marner... than Barzal is already as good as Mcdavid.

Hard to "have to" inflate a player with the below stats:

• 32 points in his final 36 games of last season (on a line with Bozak and JVR)
  • 9 points in 7 playoff games (4 points more than the next leaf)
  • Has 18 points in 14 games thus far this season.
  • 59 points in his past 57 NHL games.

And Barzal's rookie season had him 1 point shy of your savior Tavares' career high... and 16 points over Marner as a rookie center.

Yes, I lol'd at your fellow Leafs fans homerism, but yours is brilliant too. Carry on.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
How far apart are they or are they on the same level?

Its like asking if Matt Duchene and Anze Kopitar are on the same level.

Not close imo, he got overhyped playing behind JT. As the actual 1C he has 1 goal in 14 games and is under ppg.

If you want to compare him to a Leaf player a fairer comparison would be Barzal and Kadri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->