Barzal Or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This comment proves you have not watched Marner very much at all, and especially not in the second half of last season, the playoffs and early this season.

If Barzal is "lol" better than Marner... than Barzal is already as good as Mcdavid.

Hard to "have to" inflate a player with the below stats:

• 32 points in his final 36 games of last season (on a line with Bozak and JVR)
  • 9 points in 7 playoff games (4 points more than the next leaf)
  • Has 18 points in 14 games thus far this season.
  • 59 points in his past 57 NHL games.
Why cherry pick his last 57 games. How about all of last year and so far this year.
He’s good but let’s not try to make him look better than he is by cherry picking a sample size.
As for whether Barzal is much of a goal scorer I’d say neither he nor Marner excel in that dept. Both are primarily play makers.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Its like asking if Matt Duchene and Anze Kopitar are on the same level.

Not close imo, he got overhyped playing behind JT. As the actual 1C he has 1 goal in 14 games and is under ppg.

If you want to compare him to a Leaf player a fairer comparison would be Barzal and Kadri.
Post of the thread!
It’s always easy to spot the Leaf fans who don’t even watch players who aren’t wearing the blue and white uniforms.
Kadri. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Hint: Barzal is the guy not wearing the blue and white uniform who just became the first rookie since Malkin to score 85 points.

Reactions: pettersson

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Matthews is a more Complete player.

Barzal the more creative offensively.

Barzals 85 point season compared to Matthews 69 and 63 is very impressive and the gap isn’t nearly as big as some would suggest.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Post of the thread!
It’s always easy to spot the Leaf fans who don’t even watch players who aren’t wearing the blue and white uniforms.
Kadri. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Hint: Barzal is the guy not wearing the blue and white uniform who just became the first rookie since Malkin to score 85 points.

And I'm sure that fact will comfort you when he settles into actually trying to be a 1C and ends up with pedestrian numbers.

I'm sorry he isnt actually Malkin or McDavid, or even JT, doesnt mean he sucks, no need to turn on the kid for not fulfilling fans crazy expectations.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
And I'm sure that fact will comfort you when he settles into actually trying to be a 1C and ends up with pedestrian numbers.

I'm sorry he isnt actually Malkin or McDavid, or even JT, doesnt mean he sucks, no need to turn on the kid for not fulfilling fans crazy expectations.

What are pedestrian 1c numbers? 69 or 63 points a season? Guy puts up 85 points and because he isn’t a Leaf he gets no credit. Typical bullshit.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Oh for sure he’s comparable to Kadri!
You’re lack of hockey knowledge is simply astonishing.
Do you even watch any non Leaf players?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: pmwlker

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Oh for sure he’s comparable to Kadri!
You’re lack of hockey knowledge is simply astonishing.
Do you even watch any non Leaf players?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Have you ever watched the Leafs? It's more apt than a Matthews comparison.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
This comment proves you have not watched Marner very much at all, and especially not in the second half of last season, the playoffs and early this season.

If Barzal is "lol" better than Marner... than Barzal is already as good as Mcdavid.

Hard to "have to" inflate a player with the below stats:

• 32 points in his final 36 games of last season (on a line with Bozak and JVR)
  • 9 points in 7 playoff games (4 points more than the next leaf)
  • Has 18 points in 14 games thus far this season.
  • 59 points in his past 57 NHL games.
My post was directed towards the ferraro and the other guys mention, not on Mariners play. Thanks tho.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
That's also offset by people who just like voting against the Leafs. It's not as black and white as numbers.
I don't think people hate the leafs (they have some of my draft favorites over the past 4 years), I think people hate their fans and media.
Ironically, it's for the same reason they are complaining about other fans.

Anyways, I take Matthews because goals but they are honestly similar players in offensive production and pretty toe-to-toe. Just ones a goal-scorer and ones a playmaker.

Edit: misread question, nvm. Yeah they are similar levels. Anyone who's watched them and isn't biased towards their own team can see that. They are just two different types of players in production so obviously it won't be fair to compare goals vs points.

Edit 2: Honestly, so many of these threads are the same. After McDavid, there are young guys that are in the same tier and its interchangable depending on what skillset you look at. Then the older guys are kind of getting overlooked because the league has become a lot more skilled and a lot faster. In reality, Ovi, Crosby and Malkin are still in the league people. And they aren't f***ing around.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
And Barzal's rookie season had him 1 point shy of your savior Tavares' career high... and 16 points over Marner as a rookie center.

Yes, I lol'd at your fellow Leafs fans homerism, but yours is brilliant too. Carry on.

talk about the kettle calling the pot black:

Me: I think Marner and Barzal are comparable in skill level
You: HAHA you homer.. brilliant carry on...Barzal is 100% better

Hilarious... how oblivious you are to your hypocrisy.

You need to take a hard look in the mirror... you clearly have a lot of pent up anger. Some deep seeded anger... bringing up Tavares and saying "your saviour", when I never even brought up Tavares?

Coo-Coo

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Next up:

How Draisaitl wishes he could be as good as Kadri.

And, is Patrick Kane a poor man's Nylander, or a very poor man's Nylander ?

"Pedestrian" numbers... like a "number 2C" (hint: he was better than Tavares last year) scoring 85 points in their rookie season is a common occurence in this league. We should put some lithium in the Great Lakes, might calm down Toronto's collective hypomania.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Definitely take Matthews, all things being equal. I fear he may be Lindros 2.0 though.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Barzal had a rough night tonight....but still playing better than Matthews at the moment :)
Brazal def looked a little snake bite out there tonight. He trying to do too much,.make the perfect play... Plus his line mate in AB has been dreadful. Don't be surprised to trotz shake up that line soon

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
My post was directed towards the ferraro and the other guys mention, not on Mariners play. Thanks tho.

Wait... so your saying that you don't disagree?

Is this how all your conversations go?:

Person: I really like my friends new BMW, it seems to have great handling.... the consumer report even said so.
You: Haha, you believe the consumer report.
Person: Have you ever driven the new BMW?
You: No, but consumer report is stupid

Thanks for your contributions

:thumbu:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
talk about the kettle calling the pot black:

Me: I think Marner and Barzal are comparable in skill level
You: HAHA you homer.. brilliant carry on...Barzal is 100% better

Hilarious... how oblivious you are to your hypocrisy.

You need to take a hard look in the mirror... you clearly have a lot of pent up anger. Some deep seeded anger... bringing up Tavares and saying "your saviour", when I never even brought up Tavares?

Coo-Coo

What goal posts will you change next ? I correctly laughed at your fellow homer's comment of taking Marner over Barzal, then proceeded to laugh at your own posts. Not at his skill level.

The only real number that needs to be brought up here is Barzal having the best rookie season since Malkin, playing the most important position in the league.

But naturally, for you, mocking the collective homerism of Leafs fans in the last two pages makes me a homer... for Barzal ? But carry on, this is getting more entertaining with each of your posts and it seems from this last post of yours the discussion is making you go off the deep end. I'm not expecting more than a word salad next from how things are progressing for you.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What goal posts will you change next ? I correctly laughed at your fellow homer's comment of taking Marner over Barzal, then proceeded to laugh at your own posts. Not at his skill level.

The only real number that needs to be brought up here is Barzal having the best rookie season since Malkin, playing the most important position in the league.

But naturally, for you, mocking the collective homerism of Leafs fans in the last two pages makes me a homer... for Barzal ? But carry on, this is getting more entertaining with each of your posts and it seems from this last post of yours the discussion is making you go off the deep end. I'm not expecting more than a word salad next from how things are progressing for you.

laughable... You are the definition of a narcissist.

You're in incredible denial.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Wait... so your saying that you don't disagree?

Is this how all your conversations go?:

Person: I really like my friends new BMW, it seems to have great handling.... the consumer report even said so.
You: Haha, you believe the consumer report.
Person: Have you ever driven the new BMW?
You: No, but consumer report is stupid

Thanks for your contributions

:thumbu:
My god man you must have your head is so far up that your eyes are even brown.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Before Tavares lets look at the talent around Matthews, .. And Barzal lets look at the talent around him.. Hmm not sure if Matthews is much better or better.. Rookie season for each having both played full seasons as rookies, Barzal out performed Matthews

Man this has been beaten to death...the league last year had 3 times the number of guys that went PPG or higher compared to the season before thus scoring was signifciantly up, guys numbers were signficantly inflated.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Brazal def looked a little snake bite out there tonight. He trying to do too much,.make the perfect play... Plus his line mate in AB has been dreadful. Don't be surprised to trotz shake up that line soon

Barzal gets a linemates, excuse. How nice. Linemates don’t matter for other players but for barzal now that he’s a. 1C and facing the leagues best competition his linemates matter? The islanders score tons of goals they were 8th place last year in goals for and this year haven’t looked but would be surprised if they weren’t top ten. Offense rolls through that team. He’s part of it but the more teams score the easier it is to be apart of the scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad