Barzal hits the 70 point mark in 70 games

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
If he was good enough to be in the MVP conversation than his team would be a playoff team. Part of being an elite player is actually achieving some sort of team success. I understand the Islanders have plenty of holes in their team but Tavares is elite and I am being force feed that Barzal is currently playing at an elite level. Andres Lee is having a might fine scoring season, why don’t they win?
You obviously haven't watched this team very closely. You're minimizing just how big the holes are.

To answer ur question....they dont win because there's more than just 3 players on the team.

Also doesnt help that the teams possession metrics, PK and goaltending are among the worst in the league.

Do you think replacing Barzal with any of the MVP candidates (besides a goaltender) makes the Isles a playoff team?

Think about it.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Yup. He's in the perfect situation right now to inflate his production.
I don't know if he will replicate this season next year. That will be very interesting to see. The thing with Barzal is that he has two things that work very well in NHL nowdays. Speed with the puck and great vision. Other teams can't stop him when he picks up speed and there is no reason to think they could next season either. That edgework + probably top 3 speed in NHL with the puck could usually only be stopped through a penalty.

What Barzal has to do is learn how to score more goals. That is the weakness I see. First of he misses many break aways and secondly; he becomes easier to read since you now he'll never shoot the puck. He is saved by his great vision but even so. It is the same issue McDavid has but seemingly has worked on.

If Barzal comes back with a better shot next season I think he can do even better. Those 5 point games might be 3 point games, but that is only 6 points. A more experienced player can be more even in his production and should be able to make up for it.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
ridiculous that the B's had 3 pick in a row and passed on him when he was by far the BPA on the board

it was a deep draft and guys slide but sitting there with 3 picks in a row and having Barzal fall into your lap and you pass on the kid is ****ing nuts

How are those draft picks for the Bruins working out at the moment?

Genuinely interested.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
You obviously haven't watched this team very closely. You're minimizing just how big the holes are.

To answer ur question....they dont win because there's more than just 3 players on the team.

Also doesnt help that the teams possession metrics, PK and goaltending are among the worst in the league.

Do you think replacing Barzal with any of the MVP candidates (besides a goaltender) makes the Isles a playoff team?

Think about it.

Yes, if you replaced him with some of the legit forward MVP candidates for this season the Isles would be in a better position in the standings than they currently are. An MVP type player would help mask some of these issues. He is strictly an offensive player right now and has 2 more points than the second highest scorer on his team which is Tavares. Johnny T is the best player on the team and the opposition game plans around shutting his line down and not the 2nd line. If Barzal is worthy than Tavares is as well, so do the Isles have 2 MVP candidates and still can’t make the playoffs?

I take no issue with how good of a season Barzal is having however once any talk of MVP consideration is brought up that should be shut down. His season is not worthy of MVP consideration among forwards let alone factoring in Dman and Goalies.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

Genuinely interested.
Zboril - Really unimpressive numbers in his first AHL season. Never seen Providence play so I can't comment on how he's actually looking since he's a dman and their point totals are often not representative of their play

DeBrusk - Really good young player. Same level as Kyle Connor IMO

Senyshyn - Had fantastic goal-scoring numbers in D+1 and D+2 seasons in OHL (87 goals in 2 seasons) but so far production hasn't carried to AHL (8+13 in 54 games). Still time but not looking like a good pick.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Unsure how anyone can say anything bad about Barzal at this time or anytime during the year. I see people trying to reach for anything at all to try to bring the hype down in many threads but IMO it's just absurd.

The kid is a ridiculous talent and everyone knows it whether they are able to admit it or not.
People just seem to knock the kid no matter what. Barzal was knocked in Seattle for not scoring enough goals. He was knocked on team Canada for being to selfish with the puck. Now this season he is putting up big numbers because the team plays is a system that plays no defense. I don't get the hate but Barzal has had it here on HF since his Seattle days. I love watching the kid play hockey. It's nice to know there are some objective fans here.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He is strictly an offensive player right now

No, his offense is clearly surperior. But the consistent narrative that he is bad defensively is completely false.

His defense has mostly been “fair.” But for a rookie it is very good. But long-term... his defensive game looks exceptionally promising.

The Islanders as a whole are a horrifically structured team. Barzal’s two-way game is an actual bright spot.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Yes, if you replaced him with some of the legit forward MVP candidates for this season the Isles would be in a better position in the standings than they currently are. An MVP type player would help mask some of these issues. He is strictly an offensive player right now and has 2 more points than the second highest scorer on his team which is Tavares. Johnny T is the best player on the team and the opposition game plans around shutting his line down and not the 2nd line. If Barzal is worthy than Tavares is as well, so do the Isles have 2 MVP candidates and still can’t make the playoffs?

I take no issue with how good of a season Barzal is having however once any talk of MVP consideration is brought up that should be shut down. His season is not worthy of MVP consideration among forwards let alone factoring in Dman and Goalies.

You might as well of just come out and said you don't watch any isles games and have no idea what their issues are.

They're problem is Barzal can't play the whole game. LOL honestly, I just told you in the last post that the bottom 6 fwds are useless and PK and goaltending are terrible.

Also, JT has not been our best player in months. Like not even close.

It's not Barzals fault that Halak/Greiss can't make a save. It's not Barzals fault that the PK is awful and the teams bottom 6 fwd group is completely useless. It's not Barzals fault that for 3/4 of the season we've had AHLers take regular spots in the lineup at every position.

How would fwds like MacKinnon, Hall or Kucherov make this team any better? Would they help the bottom 6 more than Barzal? Would they help Greiss make a save? Gimme a break man. Barzal is THE only reason the isles aren't dead last right now.

The team is a wreck and Barzal has done Gods work this season. If the PK and goaltending were just league average...Isles would be in the playoffs and Barzal would be an MVP candidate. Period!

Ask anyone who follows the team closely cuz it's obvious you do not.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Zboril - Really unimpressive numbers in his first AHL season. Never seen Providence play so I can't comment on how he's actually looking since he's a dman and their point totals are often not representative of their play

DeBrusk - Really good young player. Same level as Kyle Connor IMO

Senyshyn - Had fantastic goal-scoring numbers in D+1 and D+2 seasons in OHL (87 goals in 2 seasons) but so far production hasn't carried to AHL (8+13 in 54 games). Still time but not looking like a good pick.

The problem with the Senyshyn pick, even at the time of the draft, was essentially his best case scenario was as a speedy, goal scoring complimentary winger. His most likely scenario was a Michael Grabner type (good goal total, with not many assists and doesn't drive play).

Zboril was also a bit of a head scratcher in that his upside always seemed limited. He figured to be more like a safe defensive guy who had some bite to his game and wasn't devoid of puck moving ability. But I don't think he ever projected to be a top pairing guy capable of 30+ points along with his strong defense.

DeBrusk is the only one who had any sort of upside that you could understand drafting in that spot.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
You might as well of just come out and said you don't watch any isles games and have no idea what their issues are.

They're problem is Barzal can't play the whole game. LOL honestly, I just told you in the last post that the bottom 6 fwds are useless and PK and goaltending are terrible.

Also, JT has not been our best player in months. Like not even close.

It's not Barzals fault that Halak/Greiss can't make a save. It's not Barzals fault that the PK is awful and the teams bottom 6 fwd group is completely useless. It's not Barzals fault that for 3/4 of the season we've had AHLers take regular spots in the lineup at every position.

How would fwds like MacKinnon, Hall or Kucherov make this team any better? Would they help the bottom 6 more than Barzal? Would they help Greiss make a save? Gimme a break man. Barzal is THE only reason the isles aren't dead last right now.

The team is a wreck and Barzal has done Gods work this season. If the PK and goaltending were just league average...Isles would be in the playoffs and Barzal would be an MVP candidate. Period!

Ask anyone who follows the team closely cuz it's obvious you do not.

So dramatic, “God’s work this season”. Yes, I should ask Isles fans if Barzal is an MVP candidate and when I receive their non biased Yes answers I shall change my opinion as a neutral fan.

Perhaps Barzal has been the best Islander the past couple of months but Tavares is the teams best player hands down. I’m not going to continue to try and have a rational debate with an overly emotional poster. You think he is an MVP candidate, I disagree and I suspect the majority of NHL fans would disagree.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Think about it.

I guess McDavid sucks.

Reactions: Sheva7

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sending Barzal back to junior for his 19 year old season was the kicker as to why he has become this good. He got a taste of NHL life and what it takes to be successful but then was sent back had a championship run in Seattle and was able to work on those aspects of his game that NYI told him to work on.

A main part of his game NYI told him to improve on was his defensive game. Last season in Seattle i couldnt believe how much better defensively he got. He instantly became a guy Seattle counted on in last minute defending a lead and was extremely strong in his own end.

Also he worked with a figure skater in the offseason to improve his skating and edge work and it improved extremely.

All his hard work and dedication paid off huge since being drafted. He was obviously an extremely impressive player already, but since being drafted the amount he has improved is insane.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
The problem with the Senyshyn pick, even at the time of the draft, was essentially his best case scenario was as a speedy, goal scoring complimentary winger. His most likely scenario was a Michael Grabner type (good goal total, with not many assists and doesn't drive play).

Zboril was also a bit of a head scratcher in that his upside always seemed limited. He figured to be more like a safe defensive guy who had some bite to his game and wasn't devoid of puck moving ability. But I don't think he ever projected to be a top pairing guy capable of 30+ points along with his strong defense.

DeBrusk is the only one who had any sort of upside that you could understand drafting in that spot.
Zboril was the consensus top D available and made sense at the time. Both JDB and Senyshyn were reaches (especially Senyshyn). DeBrusk so far has proved worthy of his spot, although not over Barzal

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
So dramatic, “God’s work this season”. Yes, I should ask Isles fans if Barzal is an MVP candidate and when I receive their non biased Yes answers I shall change my opinion as a neutral fan.

Perhaps Barzal has been the best Islander the past couple of months but Tavares is the teams best player hands down. I’m not going to continue to try and have a rational debate with an overly emotional poster. You think he is an MVP candidate, I disagree and I suspect the majority of NHL fans would disagree.

Buddy...the argument I'm making is based in fact.

With league average goaltending or PK or competent bottom 6 the Isles are in the mix. Fact.

Barzals impact is that of an elite player. Fact.

You can provide facts that contradict mine...or u can just shug it off and label ME as the emotional one. Projection much?

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Buddy...the argument I'm making is based in fact.

With league average goaltending or PK or competent bottom 6 the Isles are in the mix. Fact.

Barzals impact is that of an elite player. Fact.

You can provide facts that contradict mine...or u can just shug it off and label ME as the emotional one. Projection much?

Since you seem to unsure what are facts let me make this clear. Fact, all these players are having better seasons and are easily ahead of Barzal in the MVP conversation:

Kucherov, Hedman, Malkin, Crosby, MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Kopitar, Hall, Ovechkin, Marchand, Barkov, Wheeler, Josi, Rinne

To name a few. McDavid is the only one I listed who is playing on a terrible team however he has 25 more points than the next highest scorer on his team.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

You think if you replace Barzal with Gaudreau, Hall, Ovechkin, or Wheeler you think the Isles would be in a much better spot?

JT hasent been the best player on the team in months and opposing teams know this and have been planning accordingly. I wouldnt call Barzal MVP, and I sure as shit wouldnt call JT MVP or elite. JTs scoring is not that impressive and his defensive play has regressed significantly. Maybe if you replaced JT with one of a few of those MVP candidates they could be on the verge of the playoffs... maybe.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Genuinely interested.
DeBrusk is doing well and projects as a complete player

Zboril coming along well in AHL

Senyshyn may need another year there reminds me of Mason Raymond he's that fast others see Grabner

Barzal on Boston would pretty much make them a 120 + point team.

People should be happy he's not on Boston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad