Barzal hits the 70 point mark in 70 games

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wasn't there a guy a week or so who downplayed Barzal's season because he didn't heaven forbid have 20 goal(he only had 18). I guess now in that guys eye Barzal is a real player
He will always be atleast a proven 20 goal scorer. It's funny in retrospect reading he could not score in Junior he will not score in the NHL comments now. Barzal has totally destroyed this myth.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He will always be atleast a proven 20 goal scorer. It's funny in retrospect reading he could not score in Junior he will not score in the NHL comments now. Barzal has totally destroyed this myth.

I always pointed to the fact his goal per game average(coupled with a decrease in points per game) generally seemed to improve the tougher the competition was, so chance that would happen in the pro level

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
5 away from 80 now with plenty of games to go. Will be the first calder rookie to score 80 points since Malkin did it over 10 years ago.

Just think about that accomplishment my friends. Wow.

Reactions: ds4130

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
We could have had him but we traded our pick to the Isles for Beer League superstar Griffin Reinhart. Just imagine him, Leon and McDavid tearing up the league for years and years.
Who Cares - McDavid - Draisatil
Who Cares - Barzal - Hall

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
5 away from 80 now with plenty of games to go. Will be the first calder rookie to score 80 points since Malkin did it over 10 years ago.

Just think about that accomplishment my friends. Wow.

It’s pretty said how defensive this league has become. How many times before say 1993 did the rookie of the year winner NOT have 80 or more points

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I predicted he'd have a Gomez-like production during his career. Ie. somewhere in the 15 goal, 40+ assist range year after year, with some high end years like Gomez had when he was a rookie and when he had his 80+ point year.

I also liked the Gomez comparison. But apart from numbers, I think the dis-analogy is now obvious. They both had the zone-entry game. But Barzal's ability to control the puck in the offensive zone for long stretches is well beyond anything Gomez could do.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
Yet in fairness, he may not be wrong (although obviously exaggerated for effect - both will get at least a game look each :(.

The sooner we as bruins fan suck it up and admit it was a gross gaffe and move on, the better.
Agreed. For anyone either trying to defend the B's picks, or crap on them, it's the Senyshyn pick that tips the scale. Zboril was the consensus top D-man on the board and they needed blueline help in the pipeline. DeBrusk was maybe a small reach but was seen as a late 1st pick and he's showing promise in the AHL. Senyshyn was the big reach, a speedy winger needing a ton of work to round out his game and someone who may never become more than a pure speed goal scorer, if he even makes it to the NHL.

THAT is the pick that was the headscratcher, and us B's fans said 'let's see how it plays out, maybe they know more, maybe concerns over Barzal's knee are legit'. It still hasn't FULLY played out but I'm comfortable saying Barzal should've been the pick.

Thank god the B's hit on their picks everywhere else, dulls the sting of this one a bit. Barzal needs to work on his defensive game but he's a stud.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Agreed. For anyone either trying to defend the B's picks, or crap on them, it's the Senyshyn pick that tips the scale. Zboril was the consensus top D-man on the board and they needed blueline help in the pipeline. DeBrusk was maybe a small reach but was seen as a late 1st pick and he's showing promise in the AHL. Senyshyn was the big reach, a speedy winger needing a ton of work to round out his game and someone who may never become more than a pure speed goal scorer, if he even makes it to the NHL.

THAT is the pick that was the headscratcher, and us B's fans said 'let's see how it plays out, maybe they know more, maybe concerns over Barzal's knee are legit'. It still hasn't FULLY played out but I'm comfortable saying Barzal should've been the pick.

Thank god the B's hit on their picks everywhere else, dulls the sting of this one a bit. Barzal needs to work on his defensive game but he's a stud.
Why do you think he needs to work on his defensive game? He was pretty damn good at defense last night, again.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
Why do you think he needs to work on his defensive game? He was pretty damn good at defense last night, again.
You know what I take it back. I've admittedly only seen him a few times this year and I was impressed overall BUT I was going off a faulty premise that he had a terrible +/-, even for the Islanders. For some reason I thought I had heard that he was among the worst in +/- in the league and while that's not the end-all be-all it does suggest some holes in the defensive game.

That's obviously not the case, and in fact he's among the best on his team in +/-, so he might be far more of a complete player than I gave him credit for.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You know what I take it back. I've admittedly only seen him a few times this year and I was impressed overall BUT I was going off a faulty premise that he had a terrible +/-, even for the Islanders. For some reason I thought I had heard that he was among the worst in +/- in the league and while that's not the end-all be-all it does suggest some holes in the defensive game.

That's obviously not the case, and in fact he's among the best on his team in +/-, so he might be far more of a complete player than I gave him credit for.

Terrific post. As a Barzal admirer. I really appreciate this.

For this I always say a lot of teams missed on Barzal. The Bruins unfairly take a lot of flak for this. But Teams from 3-15 all could have picked him. So I don't blame the B's fans for hating on hearing his name.

You guys have done well in other drafts. 2014, McAvoy, Donato, Heinen, so many prospects. You have noting to worry about.

Classy post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad