Barzal hits the 70 point mark in 70 games

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
He's good and all but he's not Griffin Reinhart good...

Serious I remember watching the draft and people taking about how terrible that trade was and Barzal's name being thrown around as a dark horse even back then. The kid is a beast. You guys got a massive win there and what a great to watch.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Better late than never. Barzal now with 19 goals and 53 assists now on the season. 72 points on the year and only 8 points away from 80 to join some elite rookie company.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Since you seem to unsure what are facts let me make this clear. Fact, all these players are having better seasons and are easily ahead of Barzal in the MVP conversation:

Kucherov, Hedman, Malkin, Crosby, MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Kopitar, Hall, Ovechkin, Marchand, Barkov, Wheeler, Josi, Rinne

To name a few. McDavid is the only one I listed who is playing on a terrible team however he has 25 more points than the next highest scorer on his team.

I don't get what your point is. Just by saying they're easily ahead doesn't mean they are. From where I'm sitting, watching the games and looking at the geek stats - overall Barzal is having just as an impactful season on the isles as some of those players you've mentioned.

And for the record I'm just pointing out that if the Isles weren't such a nightmare Barzal would be in the MVP conversation along with Kopitar, Hall, Marchand, etc. That's it. Not saying he should win it.

And just because of all the green beer I drank I'm gonna tell u another thought I had - I think Freddy Andersen should be in the mvp discussion as well!

I love pissing off HFBoards lol Happy st pattys! have a good night everyone!

Reactions: WangMustGo

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
So dramatic, “God’s work this season”. Yes, I should ask Isles fans if Barzal is an MVP candidate and when I receive their non biased Yes answers I shall change my opinion as a neutral fan.

Perhaps Barzal has been the best Islander the past couple of months but Tavares is the teams best player hands down. I’m not going to continue to try and have a rational debate with an overly emotional poster. You think he is an MVP candidate, I disagree and I suspect the majority of NHL fans would disagree.
Actually you don't have a clue. You have no idea what you're talking about. Barzal doesn't play goal nor is he a defenseman. And you keep trying to blame him for not being either.

All Youve done is show how utterly ignorant YOU truly are. The fact that Barzal is even when the guy you say is great John Tavares is -8, tells me all I need to know. DeHaan and Boychuck 2 of the top 3 defensemen missing 50-60 games between them is the reason, not Barzal.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Actually you don't have a clue. You have no idea what you're talking about. Barzal doesn't play goal nor is he a defenseman. And you keep trying to blame him for not being either.

All Youve done is show how utterly ignorant YOU truly are. The fact that Barzal is even when the guy you say is great John Tavares is -8, tells me all I need to know. DeHaan and Boychuck 2 of the top 3 defensemen missing 50-60 games between them is the reason, not Barzal.

[MOD]

Plus minus isn’t a great stat. Also perhaps you need to learn the difference between playing against teams top shut down lines vs not. My entire argument in this thread is that Barzal in not MVP worthy which a poster has stated a few times that he is. If an MVP candidate plays on a team as bad as the Islanders then he better in this case be miles ahead of everyone else on his team like McDavid, who is currently 25 points higher than the next highest. Barzal is 2 points higher than the next which is Tavares.

Is Brock Boeser an MVP candidate? How about Mark Stone who has a higher PPG and more goals while playing 13 less games.

[MOD]

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Plus minus isn’t a great stat. Also perhaps you need to learn the difference between playing against teams top shut down lines vs not. My entire argument in this thread is that Barzal in not MVP worthy which a poster has stated a few times that he is. If an MVP candidate plays on a team as bad as the Islanders then he better in this case be miles ahead of everyone else on his team like McDavid, who is currently 25 points higher than the next highest. Barzal is 2 points higher than the next which is Tavares.

Is Brock Boeser an MVP candidate? How about Mark Stone who has a higher PPG and more goals while playing 13 less games.

[MOD]

[MOD] the poster also said

"And for the record I'm just pointing out that if the Isles weren't such a nightmare Barzal would be in the MVP conversation along with Kopitar, Hall, Marchand, etc. That's it. Not saying he should win it."

You chose on your own to disregard his qualifier, [MOD]

and for the record Plus minus while not a great stat is relevant within a team context, When 80% of a team is a negative and a few players are even or even a plus it tells you that they are at least attempting to play responsibly, which is all a coach asks.

[MOD]

If you Even watched Barzal you'd know he gives Maximum effort on a consistent basis, he is the least of the Islanders issues, injuries and lack of experience on defense, and inconsistent Goaltending are the islanders problems, 2 things that Barzal couldnt change if he tried.

[MOD]

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
[MOD] the poster also said

"And for the record I'm just pointing out that if the Isles weren't such a nightmare Barzal would be in the MVP conversation along with Kopitar, Hall, Marchand, etc. That's it. Not saying he should win it."

You chose on your own to disregard his qualifier, [MOD]

and for the record Plus minus while not a great stat is relevant within a team context, When 80% of a team is a negative and a few players are even or even a plus it tells you that they are at least attempting to play responsibly, which is all a coach asks.

[MOD]

If you Even watched Barzal you'd know he gives Maximum effort on a consistent basis, he is the least of the Islanders issues, injuries and lack of experience on defense, and inconsistent Goaltending are the islanders problems, 2 things that Barzal couldnt change if he tried.

[MOD]

[MOD] the premise of if the Isles were having a better season he would be a candidate is also incorrect. Here are forwards only who are having a better statistical season:

Kucherov, Malkin, McDavid, MacKinnon, Giroux, Stamkos, Gaudreau, Kopitar, Kessel, Wheeler, Crosby, Hall, Voracek, Ovechkin, Rantenan, Marchand, Barkov.

Only names on the list that do not have more goals are Wheeler and Voracek. Once you factor in Dman and Goalies were do you think Barzal would rank in MVP voting?

Unless you think 30 players get MVP consideration. I get it, Barzal is the Isles MVP this year which is impressive because they also have Tavares who is a top end player. Of the 17 players listed above how many are going to get serious consideration 5 or 6?

[MOD] are you going to ignore the great seasons that many players are having this season, you can ignore their team success if you like since these guys numbers are currently better.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007

[MOD]
I'm pretty sure the fact that Boychuck and DeHaan are 2 of the rop 3 defensemen is more of a problem then their absence :help:

Barzal is great but no Mvp.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
If island cant resesign tavares will be a disaster.

Think they would have been better off trading off tavares and building around barzal.
That is exactly, what they should have done, traded Tavares, Bailey, Lee and Isles could have been a very interesting team in a few years, now JT is going to likely walk for nothing and the Islanders are going to be a bottom feeding team for a long time

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
73 points for Barzal now.

That goal was all Barzal. Barzal drew the PIM, then made the zone entry and checked his options to set up JT for the shot and goal by Lee.

All Barzal. Those 2nd assists.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can't be. Somebody counted wrong.

HFNYR told me elite offensive players can only be drafted in the top 10.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
73 points for Barzal now.

That goal was all Barzal. Barzal drew the PIM, then made the zone entry and checked his options to set up JT for the shot and goal by Lee.

All Barzal. Those 2nd assists.

Nope doesn't count. Sure he did 99% of the work, 99% of the creativity, 99% of the awesomeness, but it was a secondary assist, so doesn't count. :sarcasm:

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Nope doesn't count. Sure he did 99% of the work, 99% of the creativity, 99% of the awesomeness, but it was a secondary assist, so doesn't count. :sarcasm:
Created the PP by drawing the penalty. Then his lowly secondary assist

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ye but secondary assists don't count. Very nice play Barzal to set up the goal.

You don't get to 54 assists in 72 games by just leeching off of 2nd assists. But again, when it comes to 2nd assists, some are more due to the 2nd assists than the first. As we saw in Lee's goal. Which is often the case for Barzal.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Barzal is at the very least on Matthews' tier.

Essentially a 1st overall pick at 16th

The 2015 draft is damn good. Only 3 years after and it has.

3 Bonified 1Cs
McDavid
Eichel
Barzal

3 Top Pairing Dmen
Werenski
Hanifan
Provorov

1 Elite Goal Scoring Winger
Boeser

3 Legit Top 6 Wingers
Marner
Aho
Rantanen

And then there are still some really good players still working their way into the league and will be very good players.

Barzal fell in the draft too, making a few teams who passed on him look a little foolish (Looking at you Boston, New Jersey and San Jose).

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Give him the most credit. He’s been dead on about Barzal for 3-4 years now. Even called him getting 60-70 plus points this year I believe in the beginning of the year.

I’m pretty sure he says that about everyone lol. Says everyone’s going to be a superstar. He’s wrong 95% of the time.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Give him the most credit. He’s been dead on about Barzal for 3-4 years now. Even called him getting 60-70 plus points this year I believe in the beginning of the year.

Thanks, alot of us were right about Barzal. You too. Give credit to many in the Barzal prospects thread. Alot of haters for some reason, which makes what he is doing all that more fun and rewarding. Barzal gets the most credit, he is the one that has worked hard for it, and I have no doubt he will continue to prove us right. Bank on it.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Thanks, alot of us were right about Barzal. You too. Give credit to many in the Barzal prospects thread. Alot of haters for some reason, which makes what he is doing all that more fun and rewarding. Barzal gets the most credit, he is the one that has worked hard for it, and I have no doubt he will continue to prove us right. Bank on it.

I knew Barzal had the goods but I expected maybe 50-55 pts I didn’t expect him to have this much impact this early on

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad