Barzal hits the 70 point mark in 70 games

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I would seek another opinion on anything Bruins related. This dude is one of the original trolls. His takes stink like the dump I took this morning. He watches none of these prospects.

Yet in fairness, he may not be wrong (although obviously exaggerated for effect - both will get at least a game look each :(.

The sooner we as bruins fan suck it up and admit it was a gross gaffe and move on, the better.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yet in fairness, he may not be wrong (although obviously exaggerated for effect - both will get at least a game look each :(.

The sooner we as bruins fan suck it up and admit it was a gross gaffe and move on, the better.

Zboril has been playing extremely well in Providence, so his comment makes no sense. I like to take the opinions of people WHO ACTUALLY WATCH THE PLAYER. This guy doesn't lol.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You were pretty bullish on Barzal I recall. You were right to be. ;)

His skill set is 100% made for today’s NHL. Speed and skill and Barzal has that in spades. Add in his Hockey IQ and skating ability and he’s all world.

I fell in love Barzal the day of the draft when a report came out that he was in the Hotel the night before the draft at 2am working out at the hotel gym.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
His skill set is 100% made for today’s NHL. Speed and skill and Barzal has that in spades. Add in his Hockey IQ and skating ability and he’s all world.

I fell in love Barzal the day of the draft when a report came out that he was in the Hotel the night before the draft at 2am working out at the hotel gym.

You know the one thing I like about Barzal that comes to my mind that no one will recall. I posted a tweet of the Isles visiting kids. Barzal was signing a young girl's book. He was so intent on making that kid's day. Really great to see from the young man, that his head is also screwed on straight to match his hockey talents.

Reactions: 99664987 and SI90

scott99

May 13, 2005
As an Islander’s fan, before the season, I pretty much expected 8-10 goals and 20-30 assists. So I expected 40 points, max. Which quite honestly, is a helluva rookie season for an Islander. Two Isle’s greats, Potvin and Tavares had 54 points each. The Isle’s record is 96 by Trottier followed by 91 by Bossy, so Barzal’s rookie season is astounding.

Also, I felt 20 goals might be Barzal’s ceiling, since he wasn’t much of a goal scorer in junior hockey. The fact that he had 19 goals and 54 assists, is just mind boggling for me. Never expected him to reach 20 goals (needs 1 goal in 10 games). I saw him as a 15 goal scorer that tops out at 70 points as his ceiling. Hopefully he just keeps improving during his career. After this season, if Tavares leaves, he will have to be the Isle’s #1 center.

Reactions: dano16

scott99

May 13, 2005
You know the one thing I like about Barzal that comes to my mind that no one will recall. I posted a tweet of the Isles visiting kids. Barzal was signing a young girl's book. He was so intent on making that kid's day. Really great to see from the young man, that his head is also screwed on straight to match his hockey talents.
Great kid. Watch the MSG thing about Barzal, you can see he’s so appreciative of everything people do for him, including Seidenberg whose family he lives with. So not surprising he wants to do things for others.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Just realized the Islanders only have 3 points more than the Oilers... Damn. Sympathy for my eastern brothers.
Need you guys to win a few more :). Isles will probably lose at least 8 if their last 10. Would love to finish in the 7 slot, gives up a better chance to wind up in the top 4 lottery wise. Go Oilers ! No offense meant, but you guys always seem to win the lottery.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I knew Barzal had the goods but I expected maybe 50-55 pts I didn’t expect him to have this much impact this early on

I'm most surprised about his goal scoring, to be honest. If there was one aspect of his game I thought would hold him back from being an "elite" player, it was his goal scoring.

He's still not exactly elite at it, but him reaching 20+ goals this year was way more than I figured he'd produce, especially right out of the gate.

I predicted close to Scott Gomez-like production. But then again, was that way off? Gomez did get 19 goals and 70 points as a rookie. ;)

Reactions: Kevin27NYI and SI90

scott99

May 13, 2005
if Barzal was not on this team watching the Islanders would be a form of torture
Actually Tavares, Bailey and Lee are fun to watch, and Pulock is coming on. Beauvillier has moments as well, and Eberle was a nice addition (24 goals). Defense and goaltending are the real horror show.

Reactions: 99664987

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm most surprised about his goal scoring, to be honest. If there was one aspect of his game I thought would hold him back from being an "elite" player, it was his goal scoring.

He's still not exactly elite at it, but him reaching 20+ goals this year was way more than I figured he'd produce, especially right out of the gate.

I predicted close to Scott Gomez-like production. But then again, was that way off? Gomez did get 19 goals and 70 points as a rookie. ;)
Higher scoring league back in the Gomez days. At least points per game. Jagr lead the league with 96 points in only 63 games. Bure was 2nd with 91 points in 74 games (scored 58 goals in those 74 games !)

scott99

May 13, 2005

You predicted he would that kind of rookie season ? Or that his ceiling (best season of his career) would be like what Gomez’s rookie production was ?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Need you guys to win a few more :). Isles will probably lose at least 8 if their last 10. Would love to finish in the 7 slot, gives up a better chance to wind up in the top 4 lottery wise. Go Oilers ! No offense meant, but you guys always seem to win the lottery.
No offense taken.
I'd rather take a higher standing too, just for some damn pride lol

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I think if he can be around 20goals and 50 assists every year give or takenthay would be excellent. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him score 30 eventually. He’s so dynamic that he can score goals but his game his creating space and feeding others.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Actually Tavares, Bailey and Lee are fun to watch, and Pulock is coming on. Beauvillier has moments as well, and Eberle was a nice addition (24 goals). Defense and goaltending are the real horror show.
Tavares is likely a goner and where was he when the Isles needed him a month ago? I do not care about seeing him get any more points to just fatten his next contract, and those other guys are dependent on Barzal and Tavares, Ho-Sang would be fun to watch but he is being unjustly punished for some reason, Pulock is very solid but as a D-man you can't get to excited about tuning the game in.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You predicted he would that kind of rookie season ? Or that his ceiling (best season of his career) would be like what Gomez’s rookie production was ?

I predicted he'd have a Gomez-like production during his career. Ie. somewhere in the 15 goal, 40+ assist range year after year, with some high end years like Gomez had when he was a rookie and when he had his 80+ point year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I predicted he'd have a Gomez-like production during his career. Ie. somewhere in the 15 goal, 40+ assist range year after year, with some high end years like Gomez had when he was a rookie and when he had his 80+ point year.

Gomez did not score 80 points as a rookie, he had 70 in a year of a 121 pts Art Ross winner. I don't see the correlation. Gomez also is not the puck handler and skater Barzal is. Barzal is virtually one of the best zone entry players in the NHL. I don't think this year will be his best statistically to almost have a peak season like a Gomez did as a rookie. With a goal scorer that Bellows is projected to be. Barzal's career is almost certain to be better than Gomez's was.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Looks like Barzal got awarded his 20th goal(Boychuk took a shot and they changed it to Barzal's goal during the intermission since it hit him on the way to the net))

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal almost his 21st there. Malkin just got his stick in the way.

Congrats to Mathew on hitting another milestone. 20 goals!

Reactions: SI90

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Barzal almost his 21st there. Malkin just got his stick in the way.

Congrats to Mathew on hitting another milestone. 20 goals!

Wasn't there a guy a week or so who downplayed Barzal's season because he didn't heaven forbid have 20 goal(he only had 18). I guess now in that guys eye Barzal is a real player

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad