Speculation: Barrie

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It could be arguably that Dubas then either does not receive a centre replacement in the trade, or that he acquires a lesser blueliner (and also without the salary retention).
damn. shoulda just kept kadri then

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That's fair. It might still be problematic though as that's an expensive 3C and a vacancy on the blueline.
more expensive yes, but only by a small amount and also a much more valuable player. we'd have also saved cap space this past season.

the vacancy on the blueline is still here though because barrie is unsigned for next season. kadri could've returned something better this upcoming off season if we kept him.

Reactions: Buds17

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
As far as I'm concerned the great thing about sports is that "nice" ideas get proven by success or destroyed by failure. Sports are wonderfully concrete that way.
This is so wildly wrong. There is nothing concrete about sports. Seasonal results in sports, especially hockey, are generated with a ton of luck and randomness, in so many ways. The only thing you can ask of a GM is to do the rational and logical thing in the moment based on the facts, available options, and their available information, so that you have a greater advantage over time.

Though, as mentioned, this was a successful trade in the end. Barrie helped us a lot. As successful as it's maximum potential? No, but most things aren't.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
we'd have also saved cap space this past season.
No we wouldn't. Those spots had to be filled.
the vacancy on the blueline is still here though because barrie is unsigned for next season.
His contributions to this season don't just disappear when we are past them. We have stronger and more developed surrounding depth on defense for this coming season. This year, we were in desperate need of somebody like Barrie.
kadri could've returned something better this upcoming off season if we kept him.
Highly highly unlikely.

Reactions: kb

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Too bad Kerfoot isn't a free agent as well and we could put his 3.5 towards someone decent.

His trade value is probably a net zero at the moment considering the $3.5M AAV ticket. Not an entirely useless player but the Leafs need something better/different as the team's 3rd line center. Maybe Dubas could flip him for a right side defender who has a similar overpaid-to-results ratio. That might be a Ceci type of defenseman. But then there's a gaping hole at 3rd line center. Maybe another team might consider their defensively sound, offensively mediocre center for Kerfoot.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Barrie wasn't a great fit right from the get go but I still don't hate the trade

Kadri's stupidity when we needed him most was the reason he had to go and I say that as someone who really like Naz, I think Kerfoot isn't a bad 3C/W replacement for him either

Barrie being meh takes the shine off things, because I think he was extremely meh under both coaches (his 5v5 defensive game blows) but looking at things now I still think that trade was worth perusing

I really don't understand the "Kadri got suspended when we need him most so we have to trade him crowd". Yes, he did get suspended but it's because he f***ing cares and was one of the only guys on this team to stick up for a teammate. He felt the need to become the guy to respond physically because he knows nobody else on this puss ass team will do anything other than look down and skate their sorry asses back to the bench. Thank God we got rid of that for a shittier Jake Gardiner clone. He went off the rails but you don't trade him for a worthless pile of shit like Barrie who's a UFA (thank God) at the end of this year. I'd bet anyone on here that he won't get suspended in this year's playoffs.

Reactions: JustAShadow

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
His trade value is probably a net zero at the moment considering the $3.5M AAV ticket. Not an entirely useless player but the Leafs need something better/different as the team's 3rd line center. Maybe Dubas could flip him for a right side defender who has a similar overpaid-to-results ratio. That might be a Ceci type of defenseman. But then there's a gaping hole at 3rd line center. Maybe another team might consider their defensively sound, offensively mediocre center for Kerfoot.
I doubt Dubie trades him for a D only because he has to show something from trading a quality 2nd line centre. Barrie was such a huge disappointment. I can't believe I fell for his playoff performance with Avs. That flames series was fast up tempo hockey. In east things are more black and blue. He is better off going back out west.

Reactions: JustAShadow

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The defense building idea with right/left every pair just hasn’t worked out for all teams at different times. A team just plays the best defensemen they have. Its over rated and many left shooting dmen really thrive on the right side. Talent is talent, whoever isthe best should play defense.

This right/left thing is overblown from my perspective.
Barrie is a top 4 defenseman on any team I believe

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I really don't understand the "Kadri got suspended when we need him most so we have to trade him crowd". Yes, he did get suspended but it's because he f***ing cares and was one of the only guys on this team to stick up for a teammate. He felt the need to become the guy to respond physically because he knows nobody else on this puss ass team will do anything other than look down and skate their sorry asses back to the bench. Thank God we got rid of that for a shittier Jake Gardiner clone. He went off the rails but you don't trade him for a worthless pile of shit like Barrie who's a UFA (thank God) at the end of this year. I'd bet anyone on here that he won't get suspended in this year's playoffs.
I read for months how it was all the refs fault. Now it's all Kadri's fault.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
The defense building idea with right/left every pair just hasn’t worked out for all teams at different times. A team just plays the best defensemen they have. Its over rated and many left shooting dmen really thrive on the right side. Talent is talent, whoever isthe best should play defense.

This right/left thing is overblown from my perspective.
Barrie is a top 4 defenseman on any team I believe
Not when the rest of your top 4 is Rielly, Muzzin and Holl. How many 60+ point defencemen does a team need?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

You know what I think "caring" looks like? Being on the ice when games and series are being decided, not in the stands with a suit on because you couldn't control your emotions

I'm all for physicality but if you get suspended because you couldn't stop yourself from crossing the line behaviorally your a liability, he did the same thing the next playoff series which is unforgivable

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Who said it wasn't the right time? I said you don't waste an asset like that for a liability like Barrie
Barrie is not a liability at all. He's a quality defenseman at a great cost that filled a lot of weaknesses and helped the Leafs greatly this season, especially with all of the injuries on defense.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
You know what I think "caring" looks like? Being on the ice when games and series are being decided, not in the stands with a suit on because you couldn't control your emotions

I'm all for physicality but if you get suspended because you couldn't stop yourself from crossing the line behaviorally your a liability, he did the same thing the next playoff series which is unforgivable
And yet Chara sucker punches Tavares and doesn't even get a penalty. Naz didn't stand a chance against the Bruins refs

Reactions: JustAShadow and IPS

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

With respect do you realize how many hockey players of star status would have been kicked out of playoff games over da years for doing what Kadri did. Do you realize that DeBrusk milked it too laying on ice? Where was da embellishment penalty? and where was da crosscheck on Kadri or punch to Tavares by Chara?

Reactions: IPS

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
And yet Chara sucker punches Tavares and doesn't even get a penalty. Naz didn't stand a chance against the Bruins refs

Yes, the refs sucked but you can't let that overrule common sense and helping the team win

With respect do you realize how many hockey players of star status would have been kicked out of playoff games over da years for doing what Kadri did. Do you realize that DeBrusk milked it too laying on ice? Where was da embellishment penalty? and where was da crosscheck on Kadri or punch to Tavares by Chara?

So? The refs sucked and the Bruins suck but that isn't an excuse for getting suspended during a playoff series

Reactions: kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yes, the refs sucked but you can't let that overrule common sense and helping the team win

So? The refs sucked and the Bruins suck but that isn't an excuse for getting suspended during a playoff series
Yeah I get it.. Jacobs rules Bettman who rules da refs ... pretty simple stuff

Reactions: IPS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad