Speculation: Barrie

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Geeez enough with that moron Kadri, good second line center who was non factor in all our playoffs appearances..Dubas tried something and went wrong, it happens.. Plus who knows how things would have gone in this year playoffs..

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
It's not like the Leafs didn't give Kadri a chance to succeed, he blew it with his stupid play, glad he is doing better now but he had to go and even a bag of pucks would have been worth it.

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I always assumed that Barrie was only going to be here for 1 year then he was gone to free agency. The team needs something better/different than Kerfoot as 3rd line center. It does seem like Dubas' golden goose trade chip was squandered on mediocre pieces that won't advance the team's chances of success.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dubas tried to address 2 spots with one trade. He got a 3rd line centre making less than what Kadri was making & tried to improve the top 4 because they were lacking guys that could fill that role.

It didn't work out. Those things happen.

I'm glad he took a shot with the trade.

Agreed. In theory it was great.

Reactions: kb

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Well there are people in academia who are satisfied that if something was good in theory then it's a net positive regardless of the real world outcome. Of course these people produce nothing other than books and an ill wind at cocktail parties. As far as I'm concerned the great thing about sports is that "nice" ideas get proven by success or destroyed by failure. Sports are wonderfully concrete that way.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Well there are people in academia who are satisfied that if something was good in theory then it's a net positive regardless of the real world outcome. Of course these people produce nothing other than books and an ill wind at cocktail parties. As far as I'm concerned the great thing about sports is that "nice" ideas get proven by success or destroyed by failure. Sports are wonderfully concrete that way.
That's the worrying thing thus far about Kyle's tenure. The intent versus the actual results are getting further and further apart. His fan club have now given up on defending the actual results and are now focussed on what he was thinking at the time of these moves. I'd feel more confident in Kyle if the point totala didn't keep decreasing year after year. I hope he can reverse the course this team has taken, regardless of his mood during future moves.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It's not like the Leafs didn't give Kadri a chance to succeed, he blew it with his stupid play, glad he is doing better now but he had to go and even a bag of pucks would have been worth it.

Well not a bag of pucks but he def had to go and had some leverage with a limited NTC

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There are haters who will find a way to s*** on him no matter what he does (or does not) do, and they'll even make crap up to try to make it stick. Unless he does exactly what they want, which would lead the team right down the toilet, they won't be happy... So I guess the more they complain, the more he is doing a good job.
Agreed and the blind lovers might be even worse. Imagining Lou Lam would have traded Nylander for a 6th as a way to boost Dubas might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read here and I’ve been here a long time. :laugh:
The Kadri trade may be the only move he’s made that seems to get 100% agreement that it turned out to be an awful deal.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Dubas tried to address 2 spots with one trade. He got a 3rd line centre making less than what Kadri was making & tried to improve the top 4 because they were lacking guys that could fill that role.

Yup, can't win them all!

Obviously prefer Nazem over Kerfoot but it's not a huge difference in value (both of these guys are quite replaceable).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Barrie may not even dress against Columbus. It is not his style of opponent. Rielly will take over PP and we will need a bigger stronger guy to handle da Blue Jackets forecheck on 3rd pair.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That's the worrying thing thus far about Kyle's tenure. The intent versus the actual results are getting further and further apart. His fan club have now given up on defending the actual results and are now focussed on what he was thinking at the time of these moves. I'd feel more confident in Kyle if the point totala didn't keep decreasing year after year. I hope he can reverse the course this team has taken, regardless of his mood during future moves.

To be fair to Dubas, he has corrected several false steps along the way:

1. Acquired Hutchinson then eventually cut bait on Sparks
2. Didn't ignore the need for right side defenders last summer
3. Acquired a better back up in Campbell
4. Acquired an actual physical role forward during this past season (Clifford)

For the above reasons, it seems that Dubas isn't a lost cause as one of these "theory over the real world" types after all.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Let him walk. Even if we make the playoffs this year, I have a feeling he'll end up taking over Gardiner's role as the hand grenade that blows up in our faces. He's that f***ing bad.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Tyson Barrie was extremely valuable under Keefe. He was stuck with Dermott and Holl as his 2 and 3 when both Rielly and Muzzin went out, and the team did well for a team that lost its top two d-men.

He overall gets an overreaction of hate due to the play and usage under Babcock.

however, he’s not a defensive guy, and a move in that direction is necessary, because Rielly/Sandin/Liljegren can handle the PP duties.

good player, that will fit better elsewhere, that we don’t have the cap to keep, even if we wanted to about sums it up well

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Barrie would dress vs. Columbus. What a ridiculous take.
Blue Jackets will play 1-1 games with us. They will trap da h*ll out of us. Interference will not get called in playoffs. A guy like Barrie will provide little to no value to us in that type of series. We need a heavier guy who can eat pucks on forecheck and make sure no one bullrushes Freddy.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Blue Jackets will play 1-1 games with us. They will trap da h*ll out of us. Interference will not get called in playoffs. A guy like Barrie will provide little to no value to us in that type of series. We need a heavier guy who can eat pucks on forecheck and make sure no one bullrushes Freddy.

You're probably 100% correct that Barrie is totally overmatched against a physical team like Columbus but he'd have to play regardless. There's too much of an investment in the player. The reason I agree that Barrie would have fits against a hard forecheck is for a smallish offensive defenseman he lacks that puck carrying escapability that these guys usually have. Heck, if he were actually good at evading forecheckers, he might have been a must re-sign.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017

I'm personally even more glad that he isn't going to throw whatever money he needs to at Barrie to get him signed, just to save face. Losing Naz for that return sucks, but would be so much worse if we had to deal with Barrie at 8m+ for the next 6-8 years.

Reactions: showtime8 and Ciao

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
brodie is also a ufa at the end of this season. why didn't dubas target a defender who was signed beyond 2020?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Definitely wouldn't be surprised if his tenure is one and done with the Leafs. The greatest hope would have been for the team to progress further in the playoffs than they had over this recent stretch. That still remains to be seen.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
brodie is also a ufa at the end of this season. why didn't dubas target a defender who was signed beyond 2020?

It could be arguably that Dubas then either does not receive a centre replacement in the trade, or that he acquires a lesser blueliner (and also without the salary retention).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Tyson Barrie was extremely valuable under Keefe. He was stuck with Dermott and Holl as his 2 and 3 when both Rielly and Muzzin went out, and the team did well for a team that lost its top two d-men.

He overall gets an overreaction of hate due to the play and usage under Babcock.

however, he’s not a defensive guy, and a move in that direction is necessary, because Rielly/Sandin/Liljegren can handle the PP duties.

good player, that will fit better elsewhere, that we don’t have the cap to keep, even if we wanted to about sums it up well

Barrie wasn't a great fit right from the get go but I still don't hate the trade

Kadri's stupidity when we needed him most was the reason he had to go and I say that as someone who really like Naz, I think Kerfoot isn't a bad 3C/W replacement for him either

Barrie being meh takes the shine off things, because I think he was extremely meh under both coaches (his 5v5 defensive game blows) but looking at things now I still think that trade was worth perusing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad