Speculation: Barrie

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Dubas tried to address 2 spots with one trade. He got a 3rd line centre making less than what Kadri was making & tried to improve the top 4 because they were lacking guys that could fill that role.

It didn't work out. Those things happen.

I'm glad he took a shot with the trade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I suspect he will be one of those guys who signs a 1 year deal where he'll get top pp time and will look to cash in July 1st 2021.

Likely close to zero chance hes a Lsaf next season

Reactions: Ciao

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Could be arguable that we are an organization that ticks those boxes.

But everyone and their mother knows we aren’t bringing him or Ceci back. So, not sure we are surprised he’s being asked about what he’s looking for in free agency

Ceci likely has a higher chance - but thats not saying much. Both guys will likely sign elsewhere and not even offered anything by thr Leafs

Reactions: Ciao

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
The Kessel deal wasn't a good one for us either. He was worth more of a return to us than we got and we retained for many years. I didn't like that trade and I didn't like the Barrie trade.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The Kessel deal wasn't a good one for us either. He was worth more of a return to us than we got and we retained for many years. I didn't like that trade and I didn't like the Barrie trade.

At the time, why didn't you like the Barrie trade?

Consider the factors in play:
- Kadri had just been suspended for his 2 consecutive playoffs
- Toronto's defense was lacking a right shot player that could play in the top 4

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At the time, why didn't you like the Barrie trade?

Consider the factors in play:
- Kadri had just been suspended for his 2 consecutive playoffs
- Toronto's defense was lacking a right shot player that could play in the top 4

The problem with assessing thr Ladri trafe is that it looked good/made sense on paper at the time - Barrie just couldnt find chemistry with the team.

The legacy of the tade will be determined by thr Kerfoot vs Kadri comparison moving forward

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We had a great player on a great contract who we traded for 1 year of that guy, who's style was completely wrong for our team.

Can thank our horrible gm for burning one of our best assets for basically nothing

Actually Barrie's style was a great fit for the team, he just underperformed

Not the type of the defensemen the Leafs needed mind you, but it was a solid attempt at filling a glaring hole on the right side of the blue line.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Not the type of the defensemen the Leafs needed mind you, but it was a solid attempt at filling a glaring hole on the right side of the blue line.

I think folks forgot the team didnt have a single guy on the right side before the trade who could move the puck.

Its just a pity it took him so long to find his fit with the team

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
I think folks forgot the team didnt have a single guy on the right side before the trade who could move the puck.

Its just a pity it took him so long to find his fit with the team

Why did we need a puck mover on the right side when we have tons of puck movers on the left side?

Don't you see what happens in our games? our puny defense gets bullied on the boards because we barely have any tough defenders, other teams do whatever they want in our own zone because we dont have anybody to punish them. Barrie compounded this problem.

how the hell do people think a one dimensional offensive D was a good fit for our team? Dubas botched the trade flat out, there's no denying it. I have no idea what the obssession is with having a defense full of a bunch of offensive D.

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019

underperformed or just not a good fit?

that top line in Colorado made him look much better than he actually is. they laughed themselves to the bank when they robbed Kadri from us. They got a rookie D doing Barrie's job better than him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why did we need a puck mover on the right side when we have tons of puck movers on the left side?

Don't you see what happens in our games? our puny defense gets bullied on the boards because we barely have any tough defenders, other teams do whatever they want in our own zone because we dont have anybody to punish them. Barrie compounded this problem.

how the hell do people think a one dimensional offensive D was a good fit for our team? Dubas botched the trade flat out, there's no denying it. I have no idea what the obssession is with having a defense full of a bunch of offensive D.

Thr Bruins routinely kept the puck in on the right when in the Leafs zone last playoff series, they were clearly targeting the teams inablity to exit the zone from that side. A guy like Barrie gives the team the ability to get the puck out with more options

I agree that Barrie wasnt the perfect fit - but would reject the notion he didnt fill any need by the team. Ideally they would have gotten more of a two way player, but i think management got a bit too fixated on getting two pieces back in the deal beacuse they werent sure how well Spezza would fit as 3c

Reactions: Logic

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Dubas tried to address 2 spots with one trade. He got a 3rd line centre making less than what Kadri was making & tried to improve the top 4 because they were lacking guys that could fill that role.

It didn't work out. Those things happen.

I'm glad he took a shot with the trade.
he got a 3rd liner who can't play center full time who costs only 1 million dollar less than kadri per year. what a waste of a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->