Barracuda News and Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Good to see Gambrell scoring a lot with the Cuda since being sent down. Up that trade value.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Here are my thoughts after the latest Cuda game.

Dahlen: Has a lot of potential. Vision and passing ability is on the higher end. Made crisp passes all night and almost sprung a 2 on 1. Board work is definitely not a strength, but he moved the puck forward and out of trouble . In terms of skating, he hung with everyone else as far as I could tell. He will attack the net too. On the PP, hung out in the mid slot as the bumper and crashed the net looking for rebounds on point shots. However, I can see why Ottawa and Vancouver gave up on him. Ottawa likes to trade away skill and Vancouver felt the need to sign Beagle and Roussel.

Gambrell: He is looking more and more like he can play in the Shark's system after this most recent demotion. To me, his weakness was always along the boards and going to the net and he is engaging in both areas with much more regularity. The SH goal was all him as he put his butt in front of the net and gave the goalie nothing to look at. He's now at PPG pace. In my opinion, will need to add more muscle to play center at the NHL level. My guess is he breaks camp with the Sharks next year.

True: This guy just finds a way to be useful every game. Does not show up on the scoresheet yet manages 4 SOG and is just reliable everywhere on the ice. He's worked his way up to the 2nd line center behind Gambrell, is a net front presence on the PP, and trusted as a member of the #1 PK unit. At even strength he is reliable at both ends and produces offense. The only weakness that must be holding him back is his skating. He's a dark horse candidate for the Sharks next year.

Wood: Rough night. On the first Wild goal he guarded air and let in a tap in. Then, broke his stick on a point shot leading to a 3 0n 2 where he just let the Wild pass around him. Solid AHL guy who is held back by skating.

Suomela: He's been passed upon the depth chart by Gambrell and True. Plays an effective two-way game. He's just not generating points and cannot really carry a line on his own.

Perron: Dangerous weapon on the PP. He can play down low, side boards, or the point. Looking weaker at even strength in the d-zone and needs to be more assertive in the o-zone.

Roy: Active in the o-zone and not afraid to pinch. He has an active stick, which he uses to break up passes in the neutral and d-zones. He has got to work on his break-out passes. He loves to throw it behind the net to his d partner and let whatever the result of that decision unfold.

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
I'd agree with all that. The only thing I'd add to Dahlen is that he hung with everyone else skating wise on a night where his legs were, by his own admission, garbage. In the 1st intermission interview with Joey, he basically said he was physically exhausted from travel and the like and he was just hoping to keep things simple and do what he could to contribute. I'll be interested to see how his skating measures up once he settles in. :)

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
OK, I lied. One more thing to add. Wood was brutal last night. Breaking his stick on the point shot was a bad break. He tried to play the puck with his broken stick (and it looked like Middleton argued, briefly, that he had played the puck with the shaft). He skated back but didn't really try to do anything to defend. I realize he's in a crappy position as a defenseman on an odd man rush with no stick, but he just sort of skated back. No attempt to play a body, no attempt to get in the way of a pass or a shot. That was disappointing. When the shot went in he had his back turned to the guy who shot it. It may not have changed a thing about the play, but I would have liked to see a little more effort to do SOMETHING. ANYTHING.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Wood deserves a lot of grief, but DeSimone should get a mention somewhere for having a great game last night. If he played like that every night he'd be the best defenseman on this team, but he's just so maddeningly inconsistent.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Why hasn't True received a call-up? Is his skating that bad? Seems like he's been the best player on the Cuda and we've been rotating that 4th line spot around with the Sharks. Would it hurt to give him a game or two?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Why hasn't True received a call-up? Is his skating that bad? Seems like he's been the best player on the Cuda and we've been rotating that 4th line spot around with the Sharks. Would it hurt to give him a game or two?
I think a lot of us have been asking this question. Since its 60+ games into the season and he has not got a call-up yet, I would be surprised to see him get one. I am guessing they still have him behind Gambrell, Chartier and Suomela on the depth chart.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad