Barracuda News and Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Nice read

It feels really accurate with what I've seen from everyone, too. One part that I found interesting:

Roy Sommer, on which players have grown the most since training camp: Jonathon Martin, look where he was last year. Look how important he is to our team right now. DeSimone has made big strides. Keaton Middleton. Korenar.

Martin really has taken some big steps forward this year and I'm wondering if he'll be brought back (RFA at the end of the season). He was scratched at times last year, he's now regularly in the top six. He was a running joke for us last year, as it seemed like whenever he was on the ice all the offense, for both teams, just ground to a complete halt. He's figured out what his role is.

All that said though, it took a long time for him to get to that point. This is his third season with the team now.

Thought it was interesting they mentioned DeSimone as a guy with NHL potential and at the same time he himself mentioned needing to work on his consistency. When he has an off night, he really has an off night.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Thats brutal to read. I mean its probably true but hard to hear that none of the AHL players are going to be a top-4D or top-6F.

I'm not sure there was ever a thought with any of the guys on the Cuda now that they'd become cornerstone types. Like PF said, the bigger ticket guys are the ones still in the CHL. Merkley, Checkhovich, and Chmelevski mostly. Lower tier chance (like topping out as a 2nd liner) for Blichfeld.

But that's not to say there aren't interesting pieces on the Cuda still. Perron could be a middle six guy. Ditto Suomela. True looks like a quality 4C in the making. All have issues that hold them back from pushing higher (consistency, skating, etc), but while it's flashy prospects that get all the press, quality teams are usually the ones that manage to turn out a fairly constant stream of homegrown guys to fill out the roster with talent so that you're not doing something dumb like paying $2m for a guy to patrol your 4th line or being forced to keep a struggling guy in the lineup without someone nipping at his heels.

And who knows. There's still always hope for the likes of Cuda guys such as Halbgewachs and Letunov, or future Cuda like Gregor and Leonard to continue developing upwards and pulling a (lesser) Pavelski, finding that hidden unlock of potential that lets them take a big, unexpected step forward.

There's also hope that the last couple years of changes at the draft table will continue this plan. While there are still some very Tim Burke picks (Reedy, Shoemaker, basically everyone in the back half of the 2015 draft, save Balcers), it seems like they're moving away from the grit'n'grind "safe" guys who get buy with scouting platitudes like "playing the game the right way" and "does the little things" that generally mean "coaches like them, but scouts don't" and taking guys like Leonard, Chmelevski, Chekhovich, and Blichfeld who show the skill you can't teach and just need to polish the physical trades you can.

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
It feels really accurate with what I've seen from everyone, too. One part that I found interesting:

Martin really has taken some big steps forward this year and I'm wondering if he'll be brought back (RFA at the end of the season). He was scratched at times last year, he's now regularly in the top six. He was a running joke for us last year, as it seemed like whenever he was on the ice all the offense, for both teams, just ground to a complete halt. He's figured out what his role is.

All that said though, it took a long time for him to get to that point. This is his third season with the team now.

Thought it was interesting they mentioned DeSimone as a guy with NHL potential and at the same time he himself mentioned needing to work on his consistency. When he has an off night, he really has an off night.
Keaton Middleton?.......he has height and a long stick but there's no way he skates on NHL ice

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm not sure there was ever a thought with any of the guys on the Cuda now that they'd become cornerstone types. Like PF said, the bigger ticket guys are the ones still in the CHL. Merkley, Checkhovich, and Chmelevski mostly. Lower tier chance (like topping out as a 2nd liner) for Blichfeld.

But that's not to say there aren't interesting pieces on the Cuda still. Perron could be a middle six guy. Ditto Suomela. True looks like a quality 4C in the making. All have issues that hold them back from pushing higher (consistency, skating, etc), but while it's flashy prospects that get all the press, quality teams are usually the ones that manage to turn out a fairly constant stream of homegrown guys to fill out the roster with talent so that you're not doing something dumb like paying $2m for a guy to patrol your 4th line or being forced to keep a struggling guy in the lineup without someone nipping at his heels.

And who knows. There's still always hope for the likes of Cuda guys such as Halbgewachs and Letunov, or future Cuda like Gregor and Leonard to continue developing upwards and pulling a (lesser) Pavelski, finding that hidden unlock of potential that lets them take a big, unexpected step forward.

There's also hope that the last couple years of changes at the draft table will continue this plan. While there are still some very Tim Burke picks (Reedy, Shoemaker, basically everyone in the back half of the 2015 draft, save Balcers), it seems like they're moving away from the grit'n'grind "safe" guys who get buy with scouting platitudes like "playing the game the right way" and "does the little things" that generally mean "coaches like them, but scouts don't" and taking guys like Leonard, Chmelevski, Chekhovich, and Blichfeld who show the skill you can't teach and just need to polish the physical trades you can.
I guess brutal was the wrong word. More of a rude reminder about our prospect pool. I am just glad that we have the CH-twins and Merkley.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

On top of this, it is really, really hard to become a top half player in the NHL level. The odds are against any player drafted outside of the top15ish becoming such a player.

Some reason for optimism...Couture's stock was probably at its lowest right before he played in the NHL. Nobody saw Pavelski coming until he was in the AHL. Pretty much the same for Demers, Braun, Clowe, and Vlasic. Most people were bearish on Meier and Hertl until they suddenly weren't.

The players we were confident about? Goc, Ehrhoff, Bernier, Michalek, Carle, Hennessy, Kaspar, Setoguchi, Petrecki, Nieto, Tierney, Roy. With the history of the Sharks, it seems like those top-half players are late bloomers.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Can’t agree with Pavelski, he was hyped (rightfully) on this very board by someone who followed him during his college years... and a lot of people here jumped on the hype train pretty quickly.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
On top of this, it is really, really hard to become a top half player in the NHL level. The odds are against any player drafted outside of the top15ish becoming such a player.

Some reason for optimism...Couture's stock was probably at its lowest right before he played in the NHL. Nobody saw Pavelski coming until he was in the AHL. Pretty much the same for Demers, Braun, Clowe, and Vlasic. Most people were bearish on Meier and Hertl until they suddenly weren't.

The players we were confident about? Goc, Ehrhoff, Bernier, Michalek, Carle, Hennessy, Kaspar, Setoguchi, Petrecki, Nieto, Tierney, Roy. With the history of the Sharks, it seems like those top-half players are late bloomers.

I like how you say all of this pretending like it's true. lol

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Can’t agree with Pavelski, he was hyped (rightfully) on this very board by someone who followed him during his college years... and a lot of people here jumped on the hype train pretty quickly.

I think people thought he was a steal and would have NHL potential after his rookie season as Wisconsin. But the idea that he had top-6 potential arose during his camp + AHL play, and until maybe 2009/2010 nobody thought Pavelski had first line potential.

niel094

Jan 13, 2011
I don’t really follow the AHL but is there a reason why the California teams play less games than everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad