Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
100%,

now some bonehead is going to come in to this thread and talk some junk about Benson playing his first full season since 2015 or some nonsense.

Actual the post above yours pointed out quite nicely how AHL stat watching for rookies is a joke.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
If Benson doesn’t put up 50 goals / 50 assist this season he is essentially a bust. That’s a fact. If a prospect isn’t perfect I’m not sure why we are wasting time trying to develop them.
I hope this contribution furthers discussion and you find it as valuable as I find spewing nonsense.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If Benson doesn’t put up 50 goals / 50 assist this season he is essentially a bust. That’s a fact. If a prospect isn’t perfect I’m not sure why we are wasting time trying to develop them.
I hope this contribution furthers discussion and you find it as valuable as I find spewing nonsense.
... meter was off!
:thumbu:

Reactions: Apathetic

dem

Mar 17, 2002
The fact that Benson is healthy is a big win. I figured he was gonna be a write off for awhile there..

Reactions: Aerrol

Furious Nerd

Jan 18, 2018
Benson-Marody-Yamamoto is really starting to throw the puck around at high speed.

We picked up Marody for a 3rd. Looking like a steal of a trade for us.

Reactions: Del Preston

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The fact that Benson is healthy is a big win. I figured he was gonna be a write off for awhile there..
This really has been the concern from day 1. If healthy he would've been a 1st round pick.

In some ways his injuries are a bit of a blessing in disguise. Kid hasn't had a lot of pressure from fans like other high end prospects. Team also seems to have been patient with him and weren't rushing him.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I've been skeptical of him of late. Hopefully he keeps progressing and becomes a top 6 option for us.

He's been much, much better the last 2-3 games. But he has a ways to go.

I think - just like with Benson - we have to be realistic about his play: It's no coincidence that when you get put with Cooper Marody, you produce points. Hebig, Currie, Benson, Yamamoto, they've all seen the benefits of what Marody can create at the AHL level. All these guys would have at least 10 fewer points playing with any other C on the team.

The reason I think Yamamoto has a leg up on others to be a top 6 option in the future is his shooting mentality. When he's playing with confidence, he is ready to fire it all the time. Last night was a great example, passed the puck and was immediately ready to hammer it home. Like, less than a second, and he was cocked and ready. That's elite shooting ability. If he can bring that every shift, he's going to be a very good offensive option in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
@replacement or any others who have watched Condors games - any thoughts or insights on Dave Gust? Seems to be getting better in his second AHL season as well. Could he possibly be worth an ELC?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
IMO, anything less than a PPG in your rookie AHL season is actually horrible

No. PPG at 20 years old at AHL to become an impact player. That's the NHLE metric as I recall. Rarely do you see 18/19 year olds get PPG in the AHL. Just doesn't happen.

PPG as a NCAA Freshmen/rookie is the correct benchmark for impact forwards.

Reactions: B33K33PING

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
@replacement or any others who have watched Condors games - any thoughts or insights on Dave Gust? Seems to be getting better in his second AHL season as well. Could he possibly be worth an ELC?

I think Gust becomes a UFA next year, I might be wrong though.

He's a good player, honest game, keeps his legs churning. He's especially good along the boards, using his skating to create space. Next year Bako will probably have a new crop of young kids, so he could be a good veteran presence.

In my opinion, no real NHL potential, but who knows!

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I think Gust becomes a UFA next year, I might be wrong though.

He's a good player, honest game, keeps his legs churning. He's especially good along the boards, using his skating to create space. Next year Bako will probably have a new crop of young kids, so he could be a good veteran presence.

In my opinion, no real NHL potential, but who knows!
Thanks! Any similarity you see to a player like Currie?

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Thanks! Any similarity you see to a player like Currie?

Doesn't shoot nearly as well, and is even smaller. But other than that, I'd say they have pretty similar play styles. There are a lot of Condors that kind of have a similar style, Vesel, Esposito, Hebig, Currie, Gust. Smaller guys who skate well, competitive instincts, high motors. Hebig and Currie are the only two that have really stood out to me.

Reactions: Nunymare

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Condors with a decent 1st, but are down 1-0 to the Heat tonight. Gust nearly banked it in off Gillies, but it crossed the line just a hair after the period ended.

Stuart Skinner between the pipes tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad