Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just finished watching the 8-4 win against the Barracudas.
This team has something special this season. They could very well ride this out to an AHL championship.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Its a discussion board.

You come here and replacement is telling how the game is going.

and come at him like he was saying Benson was a blue chip prospect.
Fair comment. Maybe was out of context but it's true.

He doesn't skate well and isn't a finisher.

Is a decent prospect but doesn't project as a top six guy at the NHL level. My opinion whether it's a separate post or in response to someone else's about him.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Now that Khaira's back, Malone should get sent down. The Condors will get an additional boost.

Another win streak coming?.....

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Is a decent prospect but doesn't project as a top six guy at the NHL level. My opinion whether it's a separate post or in response to someone else's about him.

His skating is perfectly fine so your assessment of that part of his game is inaccurate.
Also, an opinion isn't the truth. Opinions are opinions, not facts.

I happen to agree that he's not a blue chip prospect and think that just about every team has a "Tyler Benson" in their system. It's just that the timing of your post was really odd which is why people jumped on you. However, you acknowledged that so we can all move on now.

I think he can play on a 2nd line at the NHL level eventually. He will never be a line driver but the thing about the Oilers is that they don't need another line driver, they need guys who are just skilled enough to compliment the elite line drivers which Benson projects to be. For a 2nd rounder, that's solid.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I don't disagree with your opinion, it was more that it was out of context and really came out of nowhere.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Benson has 10 goals He is far from a blue chip prospect.

Great analysis.

Ignores the fact that Benson is 3rd for rookie scoring.

Ignore the fact that Benson is 1st for rookie assists, by a sizable margin.

Ignores the fact that he is 6th in the entire league for assists, playing against grown men.

Lastly, it ignores the fact junior players commonly have trouble coming into the AHL and scoring. So, what you do is something that Lowetide talks about all the time. You look at the season splits. It shows how a player is adjusting as the season goes along and tells you a good deal and how that player might grow.

His first 27 games (since he's played 54 games) he had 3 goals. The second half, he scored 7 goals. Clearly he's improving at this. I mean, it's obvious. I'm not even arguing he's a "blue chip prospect" because that distinction is arbitrary and pointless. He's a prospect of ours that's doing very well in the AHL.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
A lot of talk about Benson's place in the NHL, I have to say, he's not there. And the way he plays the game right now, he's not an ideal complimentary player. He will have to do a lot of work, he'll need to change some of his most ingrained tendencies.

Luckily he's only 20 years old, and he can get there if he puts in the time.

But as of now, if you're looking at guys who will be those complimentary pieces, Yamamoto is the one guy with the right skillset and mindset. He's not ready yet, but you can see it coming.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Wow. The AHL team starts playing well enough that the boards pay attention to them and what do you know, suddenly everyone's an expert on the entire roster, and has already found flaws they'll no doubt hound these kids about blindly for the duration of their careers.

I don't understand why people bother being a part of a discussion forum if they don't have an open mind... What's the point of a discussion if you're not open to seeing things in a way other than your own.

Reactions: Aerrol and Tw0Shoes

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Great analysis.

Ignores the fact that Benson is 3rd for rookie scoring.

Ignore the fact that Benson is 1st for rookie assists, by a sizable margin.

Ignores the fact that he is 6th in the entire league for assists, playing against grown men.

Lastly, it ignores the fact junior players commonly have trouble coming into the AHL and scoring. So, what you do is something that Lowetide talks about all the time. You look at the season splits. It shows how a player is adjusting as the season goes along and tells you a good deal and how that player might grow.

His first 27 games (since he's played 54 games) he had 3 goals. The second half, he scored 7 goals. Clearly he's improving at this. I mean, it's obvious. I'm not even arguing he's a "blue chip prospect" because that distinction is arbitrary and pointless. He's a prospect of ours that's doing very well in the AHL.
My splits:
Game 1 - 20: 3 goals, 5.7 SH%
Game 21-40: 2 goals, 3.8 SH%
Game 41-54...: 5 goals 13.5 SH%

:cheers:

If you break it down further to game by game he had a big goal scoring slump which basically started after his first 10 games and he didn't really get out of it until the last 10 games or so. 8 out of his 10 goals came in those two periods.

I've only watched a couple of games, but whenever I see him play I think he has looked very good (even though I am not a big fan of the camera angle in the AHL broadcasts).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
For the record, I don't disagree with that guy who ripped on Benson. I just never suggested he was a bluechipper, so I wasn't sure why he even brought it up.

It's clear Marody is the player that makes that line go. He makes the game easier for everybody on his line. At the AHL level Marody's game shines.

I've been following Benson closely since before he was drafted. He's one of my favorites, rooting hard for him. But it's true, he's not really a blue chipper. He's a good prospect, but nowhere near a sure thing.

I actually think that Benson is a "for sure thing", when it comes to being a NHL player. He has all the tools, and is capable of playing in a lot of different ways. I have very little doubt that he will have a relatively long NHL career. The question is: in what capacity? I personally see him as a bottom-6 winger, who could play spot duty on the 2nd line, but I'm starting to come around to the idea that he might be a full-time 2nd liner. He just keeps scoring and producing in a very difficult league as a 20 year old. Sure, some of it is likely "team effect", but at some point you have to give the kid credit for his own results as well.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
IMO, anything less than a PPG in your rookie AHL season is actually horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad