Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Last thread hit 1K replies. Lots of positives on the farm at the moment.

I think Jones was clearly the better defender prior to his call-up, but Bear really didn't play much, and was recovering from a bit of an injury I think. Jones definitely has more swagger. I think it comes from training with his brother, and having that to lean on. If he sees his brother is able to make mistakes and still try stuff, then he can too.

Maybe he can sing at the all-star game, like that KHL video?

cooper-guitarpng-f92bd16e36b0a15e.png

Condors up 4-2 end of the 2nd

Benson now has 28 assists. 1st for rookies.

2nd (Marody) has 23 and 3rd has 21.

Does Benson has a bad shot? He only has 5 goals this year.

It would be nice if he has around 20 by the end of the season.

Yeah he’s not scoring but he has 10 points in his last 5 games.

Guys such a good playmaker.

7-2 win.

I care more about the farm right now than I do the big club.

Keep it rolling boys.

Starrett has been very good for us down there 10-3-3

Could Benson lead AHL scoring? He's only a few points off.

I wouldn't even call him up this season. Let him get ripe

For rookies? Absolutely. The whole league? League leader has 50 points right now, Benson is 16 off.

Marody is 5th in rookie scoring right below Benson but has played like...10 less games.

Yeah, I meant Rookie Scoring. It would be great if we had #1 and #2 leading Rookie Scorers

AHL.com has him at 29 assists and 34 points in 40 games. Not sure where he stands in overall scoring, as the site only lists the top 20 scorers and there's 3 guys at 18 through 20 at 37 points (Riley Barber - Hershey at 37 GP, Alex Barre-Boulet - Syracuse at 39 GP and Paul Thompson - Springfield at 44 GP). Barre-Boulet is top in rookie scoring.

Definitely some good things happening in the farm... Bear and Jones could use another yr but are trending well... how has Legasson looked this yr
Correct, Barre-Boulet is 1st in rookie scoring.

I meant that Benson was leading for assists by a wide margin. He's 4th in rookie scoring.

Benson is 4th in the entire league for assists, and tied for 33nd for points.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
New thread needs new highlights-

Does anyone who watches the Condors frequently have an opinion as to whether or not the Condors might be capable of winning a Calder Cup if we were to send down Puljujarvi on top of the recently sent down Yamamoto.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wonder how far off some of these guys are.

I think Bear and Jones can make some noise on the defence next year. But the big question is Benson and Marody (plus of course Pulju and Yamamoto). Plus toss in a few other wildcards like Bouchard, Persson, and Lagesson.

I don’t want to pencil any of these guy into the main roster, but I’m at least liking the waiver exempt depth for next year’s team.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The one thing that's very noticeable in our player development is that the Condors are being led by prospects and not a bunch of AHL vets as in past years. Pretty much every position has a prospect playing a large part. I'm sure that having AHL vets would improve the chances of having the team go far in the playoffs. But, I imagine that the fans also welcome seeing players who will have a good shot of having a successful NHL career.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The one thing that's very noticeable in our player development is that the Condors are being led by prospects and not a bunch of AHL vets as in past years. Pretty much every position has a prospect playing a large part. I'm sure that having AHL vets would improve the chances of having the team go far in the playoffs. But, I imagine that the fans also welcome seeing players who will have a good shot of having a successful NHL career.
The team is actually playing very well and have beat the best teams in the AHL recently. Good signs.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
After a rough start with injuries and slow production, Bear is now ahead of his point-per-game pace than he was a year ago, production which earned him a call-up to the NHL. He's really picked it up, and his numbers are looking better and better, including sporting the 2nd best +/- on the team while playing on the top-pairing for a while now. Good to see him rebound the way he has, and let's hope he keeps it up. We could really, really use a couple of Bouchard, Jones, Bear and Persson (and perhaps Logan Day as a long-shot?) to pan out into top-4 Dmen within the next 2-3 years.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
After a rough start with injuries and slow production, Bear is now ahead of his point-per-game pace than he was a year ago, production which earned him a call-up to the NHL. He's really picked it up, and his numbers are looking better and better, including sporting the 2nd best +/- on the team while playing on the top-pairing for a while now. Good to see him rebound the way he has, and let's hope he keeps it up. We could really, really use a couple of Bouchard, Jones, Bear and Persson (and perhaps Logan Day as a long-shot?) to pan out into top-4 Dmen within the next 2-3 years.

In the last topic I commented a bit on this.

In the games I saw early on, he seemed a bit off. I'm not sure if it was physical or mental. I don't see all the games by any means, but the ones I've seen he's been a lot better of late.

I'm still convinced he'll end up in the top 20 for defenseman points. My hot take.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Quite a few people talking about Benson here, so just my take having watched most Condors games this year: He won't succeed in the NHL with the style of game he's playing. It's on the outside, it's passive, very hot and cold, and he relies on standing around in spaces that defenders at the AHL level leave open for him.

The reason he's racking up assists is 100% Cooper Marody. Without Marody on his line, Benson would have half the points he has right now. It's no coincidence that Hebig and Benson were having a great go, then Marody got called up, and they weren't nearly as effective. Marody beats guys, he goes right through guys, and that makes a ton of room for his linemates.

I'm a huge Benson guy, I followed him all through juniors, I'm rooting for him more than anybody else. I want him to succeed more than any other Oilers prospect, and I believe he can do it. But he is being carried, Marody stirs the drink.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not convinced Marody is an NHL player either, but he's definitely too damn good for the AHL. He just makes things happen at that level.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'll just again have to offer my apologies to Jay Woodcroft. He's basically doing everything I wanted Fleming to do in the past - focusing on development and giving our prospects key roles - and he's winning while doing it. Pretty much the only part of the organization I'm excited about this year. Will have to follow closer.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Quite a few people talking about Benson here, so just my take having watched most Condors games this year: He won't succeed in the NHL with the style of game he's playing. It's on the outside, it's passive, very hot and cold, and he relies on standing around in spaces that defenders at the AHL level leave open for him.

The reason he's racking up assists is 100% Cooper Marody. Without Marody on his line, Benson would have half the points he has right now. It's no coincidence that Hebig and Benson were having a great go, then Marody got called up, and they weren't nearly as effective. Marody beats guys, he goes right through guys, and that makes a ton of room for his linemates.

I'm a huge Benson guy, I followed him all through juniors, I'm rooting for him more than anybody else. I want him to succeed more than any other Oilers prospect, and I believe he can do it. But he is being carried, Marody stirs the drink.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not convinced Marody is an NHL player either, but he's definitely too damn good for the AHL. He just makes things happen at that level.

I mean, you watch more games than me, but the games I've seen I would disagree with your assessment, and I'm on the other side of things. I was never a big Benson fan. I think his assists are not 100 percent Marody. I think he's held his own. He has been hot and cold yeah, but that happens to a lot of rookies in their first year in the pros.

I do agree that Marody as of now is the better AHL player, but I don't buy Benson is simply a product of Marody.

Last edited:

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I mean, you watch more games than me, but the games I've seen I would disagree with your assessment, and I'm on the other side of things. I was never a big Benson fan. I think his assists are not 100 percent Marody. I think he's held his own. He has been hot and cold yeah, but that happens to a lot of rookies in their first year in the pros.

I do agree that Marody as of now is the better AHL player, but I don't buy Benson is simply a product of Marody.

I certainly hope you're right.

Reactions: Senor Catface

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I certainly hope you're right.
My thing there is Benson's game has never been a speed or hustle style game. It's to be in the right position at all times and anticipate the game incredibly.

Benson plays to the level of his linemates pretty much everywhere.

Put him with a 60 point player he will put up similar numbers. Put him with 3rd line grinders he will work with them. He is a Swiss Army knife and a very good complimentary piece.

Reactions: Oilhawks and North

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
My thing there is Benson's game has never been a speed or hustle style game. It's to be in the right position at all times and anticipate the game incredibly.

Benson plays to the level of his linemates pretty much everywhere.

Put him with a 60 point player he will put up similar numbers. Put him with 3rd line grinders he will work with them. He is a Swiss Army knife and a very good complimentary piece.

He's known for his playmaking but his shot totals in the AHL are actually pretty good. Leads the team in shots (only by a small margin). I'm not sure if we should be concerned that he only has 5 goals on 106 shots. For him to put up those point totals with only a 4.7% shooting percentage... he could really explode next year if he's on the farm team.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Condors up 2-1 on Tucson heading in to the third. Yams and Spooner are in. Team is obviously disjointed new guys, new lines. The last time Pulju and Yams joined the team it felt this way as well, a little bit off. Goes to show you can't just skill up and everything gets better.

Logan Day made a fantastic stretch pass to Russell for his break away goal.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Great stuff from the Currie-Benson-Marody line. Lagesson rimmed it around and both Marody and Benson just left the puck to go around the boards right to Currie for a rip bar down. 3-1. I do think Benson may get an apple on it after they look at it.

Currie has goals in 7 games in a row.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Shane Starrett is absolutely playing amazing in the third. Has made a couple unreal stops.

Learning moments for Benson and Yamamoto. Marody dumped the puck about 35 seconds in to his shift, and then immediately went for a change. Benson decides to stay out and ends up taking a bad hooking penalty with 4 minutes left in the game.

Yamamoto on the PK, chipped the puck out of the zone to himself, and instead of getting it deep, he tried to walk the d-man. The puck came back quickly and Starrett ended up having to make a huge stop.

Bako hangs on for the 3-1 win. Starrett for sure has to be a star in this game. He's been fantastic all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->