Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Benning’s speed is hideous, hasn’t improved in 3 years and it isn’t going to. Jones needs to take his spot. Jones played some first pairing minutes already and while he wasn’t great put him with Sekera and we’ll be saying Benning who?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah it’s interesting because Benning was handed his spot with playing a minute in the AHL. Jones and Bear have paid their dues in the AHL and excelled down there while Benning has been a disappointment for the last two years in Edmonton. If the goal is to improve the team and eventually be a good team you have to move on from players like Benning at some point and give your top prospects a chance.

I agree with the plan to trade Russell and Benning, bring in a second pair RHD and have one of Jones/Bear on the Oilers next season.
Benning has not been a disappointment this year.

If you think Benning has been a disappointment, you must think Jones short time here was an abomination.

Jones had a 4.1 ga/60 when he was on the ice, thats disgusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tw0Shoes

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Agreed. To me the best thing for the team to do is go into next season with Benning penciled in as the #6 guy and then if Jones, Bear, Bouchard, Lagesson or Persson(I think he's going to be a huge surprise in camp) blow the doors off in camp you can move a Benning/Russell/Sekera. Make these guys force their way onto the roster instead of penciling them in after playing a few games and having no backup plan.

We're tight on cap next season. I'm okay with moving Benning because A) we can get an asset for him, be it a 3rd or depth forward and B) we have cheaper alternatives who project to be a part of our future.

I think at least one of Jones/Bear/Lagesson are ready for 3rd pairing minutes next season. Sekera would be a great mentor for them.

Also, Bear has one more season of waiver ineligibility. Lets give him a real chance now, because in 2020/21 season I think Bouchard definitely wins the 3rd pairing job. I'd rather find out what we have in Bear now before it's too late.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We're tight on cap next season. I'm okay with moving Benning because A) we can get an asset for him, be it a 3rd or depth forward and B) we have cheaper alternatives who project to be a part of our future.

I think at least one of Jones/Bear/Lagesson are ready for 3rd pairing minutes next season. Sekera would be a great mentor for them.

Also, Bear has one more season of waiver ineligibility. Lets give him a real chance now, because in 2020/21 season I think Bouchard definitely wins the 3rd pairing job. I'd rather find out what we have in Bear now before it's too late.
the cap hit would be the only reason I would consider moving him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In a perfect world Benning is the guy moved for Connor Brown.

The potential roster for next year if they really want the young guys to percolate for a couple seasons...wow.

Benson - Marody - Yamamoto
Russell - McLeod - Maksimov
Safin - Gust - Hebig
Polei - Esposito - Callahan

Lagesson - Berglund
Samorukov - Bouchard
Lowe - Day

If I had to guess, the Oilers probably move on from Russell and Callahan this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if Day signed an NHL contract with another organization. You can probably assume one of our even both of Gambardella and Currie start the year in Bako.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not saying hand them the spot, I think Jones is as good as Benning right now at least. Same with Bear. Benning will be moved for a forward, one of those guys will easily take his spot. Sekera on the bottom pairing helping mentor one of them is honestly a better idea then Benning there. As long as we improve our top 4. If not then yeah no.

Putting them in Benning's spot after he's traded is handing the spot to one of them. The only way they can push Benning is if Benning is here to be pushed.

What's the rush anyway? If one or both of them pushes their way on to the roster then fine but they shouldn't just be handed a spot simply because of their pedigree, same with Bouchard.
Furthermore, I think Lagesson is more pro ready than either of them and will get a long look as well.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Also think Safin might be playing another year of Junior since he basically missed this one.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
With Klef and Sekera on our backend I really don't see the rush to move a guy like Benning unless we are getting a decent player back. Making a bit more than I like, but I hate to see us move him and have a rookie penciled into our top 6 to start the year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Putting them in Benning's spot after he's traded is handing the spot to one of them. The only way they can push Benning is if Benning is here to be pushed.

What's the rush anyway? If one or both of them pushes their way on to the roster then fine but they shouldn't just be handed a spot simply because of their pedigree, same with Bouchard.
Furthermore, I think Lagesson is more pro ready than either of them and will get a long look as well.
It's a 3rd pairing defender spot. Beside a vet like Sekera that position, league wide is often used to ease in an NHL ready defensive prospects. Benning turns 25 in a couple of months, he is what he is. Time to move in and ease one of our guys into the NHL.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's a 3rd pairing defender spot. Beside a vet like Sekera that position, league wide is often used to ease in an NHL ready defensive prospects. Benning turns 25 in a couple of months, he is what he is. Time to move in and ease one of our guys into the NHL.

The disconnect here is you saying that you didn't want to hand a spot to Jones or Bear but in the same breath, you want to hand them a spot after Benning is traded. Unless you're talking about Benning being a deadline trade, you're giving one of them a spot by default if Benning is an offseason trade. You understand what I mean?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The disconnect here is you saying that you didn't want to hand a spot to Jones or Bear but in the same breath, you want to hand them a spot after Benning is traded. Unless you're talking about Benning being a deadline trade, you're giving one of them a spot by default if Benning is an offseason trade. You understand what I mean?
I see Benning as a training camp trade.

Bring them all into training camp, I predict that Jones, Bear or Lagesson will steal Bennings lunch money and then Benning is traded during camp, or hell, left as our 7th defender that can move in when the young guy struggles. If none of those 3 guys outplay Benning then we might have some issues.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I see Benning as a training camp trade.

Bring them all into training camp, I predict that Jones, Bear or Lagesson will steal Bennings lunch money and then Benning is traded during camp, or hell, left as our 7th defender that can move in when the young guy struggles. If none of those 3 guys outplay Benning then we might have some issues.

Benning is doing well in a 3rd pairing role. I know that people like to beat up on him for whatever reason but he and Sekera have been their best pairing for about a month now.

This is a case of the grass not necessarily being greener on the other side. Don't just assume that Jones, Bear or whoever will automatically be better than Benning just because...
I'm not against them dealing Benning of course (I'd rather deal Russell because of the contract) but I'd rather it be when one of the youngsters push him out of a spot, not just for the sake of dealing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad