Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '18-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Re: Yams...

Worth a note here that the kid that got the GWG for the Pens tonight is just getting a shot NOW and was from the same draft year as Mitch freaking Moroz.

Sometimes letting guys overcook in the AHL isn’t a bad thing. Sometimes players are just not ready... until they are.

Just saying. This organization needs to be prepared to play the long game with Yamamoto.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Worth a note here that the kid that got the GWG for the Pens tonight is just getting a shot NOW and was from the same draft year as Mitch freaking Moroz.

Sometimes letting guys overcook in the AHL isn’t a bad thing. Sometimes players are just not ready... until they are.

Just saying. This organization needs to be prepared to play the long game with Yamamoto.

Sometimes players are never ready...I’d say it’s 50/50 with Yamamoto.

Okanagan

Jan 7, 2019
Seems to me we all had the same discussion when Yams was sent back to the Dub. He pouted for a couple months before getting it going.

Coach needs to have a hard convo with him.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Neat.
DzV1lLyVAAAtrGO.jpg

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

And again, he started this season as a 19 year old...

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
It's worth noting that the majority of the teams success really stems from honest, solid, but completely unremarkable hockey. No crazy dangles, no insane passing, no end to end rushes. Other than Marody being able to stickhandle in a phonebooth, there's nothing at all flashy about how they're getting it done.

Both McLellan and Woodcroft started the season on the same theme, playing "connected" hockey. Woodcroft is succeeding, you can see it on the ice.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

I agree. Shouldn't be in the NHL next year. He has skill let him develop his pro game in Bako

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Yams is 2-3 years away from the NHL, if he ever gets there.

I would take it one year at a time. Everyone develops at a different rate who knows. Definitely 1 year away from there as you mentioned it could be another 1-2-3 years or never

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Next year we'll have McLeod and Maksimov joining Bakersfield's forward core.
Benson/Marody/Currie
Gambardella/McLeod/Yamamoto
?/?/Maksimov

I think ideally you have one of Currie, Marody, or Gambardella with the Oilers next season in a depth role making room for Maksimov on a skill line.

Then you have Samoroukov and one of Bouchard/Persson (and maybe Berglund) joining the D-core.

Jones/(Bouchard or Persson)
Lagesson/Bear
(The collection of Lowe, Stanton, Day, and probably other players I'm missing.)
/Samoroukov.

Guessing Samoroukov starts in the ECHL because Bakersfield has too much depth. In the NHL, we have:

Klef/Larsson
Nurse/Russell
Sekera/Benning
Persson

I think Manning gets waived, adding to the depth of Bakersfield. Benning is an established 3RD. My thinking is that Bouchard starts in Bakersfield, gets top pairing minutes and 1PP duties. I think it would be ideal to develop Persson in Bakersield, let him get acclimated to pro hockey on NA ice. Is that what he would want though? He cares about his own development, wanting to take it slow and spend another season in the SHL. If he truly cares about his development, I think he'd be okay spending some time in the AHL.

I think we're stuck with that NHL D-core next season. You probably could trade Russell, but that would just open up a hole at 2RD. You'd be hard pressed to find a team wanting Sekera's contract with his injury history. If he proves to at least be a 2LD again, maybe he'll become trade bait.

Takeaway: The farm team will continue to be strong next year, and in the 2020/21 season we'll have an influx of prospects making cases to join the NHL squad.

As for the goaltending situation... Montoya walks obviously. Let Starrett be the starter in Bakersfield next season. Hawkey comes in as the back-up, bumping down Skinner to ECHL. Sign a stopgap back-up for next season in the NHL. If Starrett continues to be consistent next year, he earns an NHL back-up job. Skinner and Wells compete for the AHL back-up job when Starrett is called up. The following year, Skinner and Hawkey compete for the starting job, and Rodrigue/Wells compete for playing time in the ECHL. That's goalie depth.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
CONDORS: Woodcroft treating winning 'as a skill'
It's clear the Condors have bought into Woodcroft's belief that winning as a skill, given the remarkable run. But the bench boss isn't solely relying on that to breed a winning culture in Kern County. Woodcroft also takes the time to understand his players as individuals, causing his troops to rally behind him.

Many Condors skaters lauded Woodcroft's ability to understand each player in the dressing room individually. It's a sentiment that's gone a long way.

"He's been really open and speaking to guys, getting personal with guys. I've never really had a coach that wanted to get to know all about me like the way he does but he does it to everybody," said Ethan Bear, who has 20 points in 38 games this season.
"He's one of my favourite coaches I've ever had, honestly," said Cooper Marody. "It's a fine line between a guy you want to play for and also a guy you respect greatly.

"It's almost like when you come to the rink, you don't want to let him down. Everybody in the locker room is playing to make him proud of us. That's a great environment."

Serve me up some more crow.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Woodcroft continues to do good things with the Condors next year, he has to be considered for the HC job for the Oilers in the year to follow (2020/21 season).
I don't know that he will and I don't know that I want him to.

Ideally whoever coaches next year has to be here for more than a year. They should be around for the long haul.

I just don't see Woodcroft getting his shot here and if he does it kind of means we are shit and will have a lot more issues to deal with than just a coach. No way McDavid will stick around if they can't figure it out.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

It's absolutely crazy how he's gone from public enemy number 1, to being responsible for the only good thing about the oilers org right now.

I've always thought individual communication was one of the major factors that make a good coach, which is why I loved Krueger and Nelson so much.

I'd almost give him a shot next year as HC if he finishes the AHL season strong.

Not like there's a ton of better options out there.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It's absolutely crazy how he's gone from public enemy number 1, to being responsible for the only good thing about the oilers org right now.

I've always thought individual communication was one of the major factors that make a good coach, which is why I loved Krueger and Nelson so much.

I'd almost give him a shot next year as HC if he finishes the AHL season strong.

Not like there's a ton of better options out there.
We need to strive to have top end guys at all positions like the Leafs when they turned around their shit show- Shanahan, Lamoriello, Dubas, Hunter, Babcock, and Keefe.

That's a quality president overseeing things, a quality 3 man brain trust, and two good head coaches (NHL/AHL). Ofcourse keeping together a group where most of the individuals are a little overqualified for their position is a hard thing to do, but that's 6 guys to run a quality organization (or atleast turn around a train wreck) and at the moment we can only check off one of those 6 boxes. That isn't to say scouting isn't important as well, but we really need to improve the nucleus that has its hands on the levers of power.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We need to strive to have top end guys at all positions like the Leafs when they turned around their **** show- Shanahan, Lamoriello, Dubas, Hunter, Babcock, and Keefe.

That's a quality president overseeing things, a quality 3 man brain trust, and two good head coaches (NHL/AHL). Ofcourse keep together a group where most of the individuals are a little overqualified for their position is a hard thing to do, but that's 6 guys to run a quality organization (or atleast turn around a train wreck) and at the moment we can only check off one of those 6 boxes. That isn't to say scouting isn't important as well, but we really need to improve the nucleus that has its hands on the levers of power.
We seemed to be on the right track with PC and TM, then bringing in Keith as well.

Problem was there was just no one else for PC to really talk to about pro players other than Howson, MacT and Lowe. If he would've at least hired one outsider to be an assistant GM to help with pro players it would've been nice

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We seemed to be on the right track with PC and TM, then bringing in Keith as well.

Problem was there was just no one else for PC to really talk to about pro players other than Howson, MacT and Lowe. If he would've at least hired one outsider to be an assistant GM to help with pro players it would've been nice
Not the place to get into that in depth, but PC was the worst GM in the league, before we signed him he had a 4 year streak where he was bad in Boston (got fired for a reason) and 4 truly terrible years here and Keith Gretzky was with him through just about all of it, it was a horrible brain trust without even factoring in Howson and MacT, who were both subpar GMs when they got their opportunities (Lowe is on the business side of things with the OIG and has been for a while).

What I was talking about was basically an all-star group of managers, president, and coaches; where as our group was a collection of failures who arguably don't deserve the positions they have, let alone being good enough to take more responsibility. I also don't think even with the best brain trust behind him Chia would be successful here, he just couldn't manage assets, cap space, and had outdated ideas for where the game was trending and even worse he was pushing in the opposite direction of the trend.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig