Post-Game Talk: Back to Back Hattricks for Matthews

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Loving the secondary scoring

Agreed I HATED the fact Keefe just stopped playing Matthews he could have had 6 There way he was going last night.

I actually didn’t mind it. We need our depth players to gain confidence. This team is only going to go so far if we get no depth scoring. Keefe needs to be able to play McMann, Domi and Robertson more than 8 minutes a night. Those three in particular can score for us. And tbh I’m a fan of removing JT off PP1 and putting Bertuzzi there. Create two fair PP’s

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Agreed I HATED the fact Keefe just stopped playing Matthews he could have had 6 There way he was going last night.
Would have been nice, but in the bigger picture no point in a mid February game with a coward like Gudas waiting to go low. Let the depth players get more ice and get some looks

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Agreed, prefer to have Willie with guys who can at least somewhat match his speed, that line is worth trying. JT should hopefully be more effective against weaker matchups when playing 3C, too.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Bertuzzi - JT - Robertson
Gregor - Kampf - Holmberg
Jarnkrok In gregor out

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Good to see you finally admit that you've checked out and aren't really watching the games. It's probably better for you this way and us.
Maybe try reading what I said again. I did watch at first, just like I watch almost every game. Then I stopped watching when the game was no longer interesting as I decided I would rather spend my time doing something else. Not sure why my watching habits would impact your life in any way but whatever, I'm happy to clarify.

Why risk injury when the game was already well in hand?
Good question!

Reactions: Optimist and arso40

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Someone posted a few days ago what is Benoit ceiling

Second in ice time tonight with almost 23 minutes
Only Brodie had more and not by much

Benoit 22.52 toi +1 5 hits
Just keeps getting better and better every game
Keefe said last week that Tre was really high on Benoit, liked what he saw in the west and felt he had more to give. For all the criticism, this one looks like an absolute steal move. Sign him quick, this isn't a mirage, he's been so consistent all season and he's only getting better. I argued a while ago he could top out as a 4, he looks like that now. Love this guy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Would have been nice, but in the bigger picture no point in a mid February game with a coward like Gudas waiting to go low. Let the depth players get more ice and get some looks
This is a very good point! Everything should be done with the playoffs in mind and to that end, it definitely makes more sense to let the depth guys play. The goal is to get everyone ready for the playoffs, not to score 12 goals instead of 9 against a last place team.

Keefe said last week that Tre was really high on Benoit, liked what he saw in the west and felt he had more to give. For all the criticism, this one looks like an absolute steal move. Sign him quick, this isn't a mirage, he's been so consistent all season and he's only getting better. I argued a while ago he could top out as a 4, he looks like that now. Love this guy.
I agree completely and this should have been done already.

Jun 27, 2005
I did watch at first, just like I watch almost every game.
Look man, I get it. You watch some of the games. Probably the ones you expect us to lose or the ones that you've bet on. It must take a terrible toll cheering against Marner and watching him play fantastic. The cognitive dissonance must be almost painful for you and the rest of the haters

Reactions: notdoneyet

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The nice thing is you could lock him up for a few years on a deal that he could be demoted on, so there's little to no risk

He looked insanely overwhelmed early, like he was scared to touch to the puck, but that's slowly gotten better over time to the point where he can make a basic puck play

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I admit, given their history of blowing leads, especially 3-1 ones, when Vatrano scored in the first to cut the lead to two I was a bit nervous. That anxiety let up around the time Bertuzzi finally potted one.

I mean, if Bertuzzi gets one one you that's a pretty solid sign you're having a bad night.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Look man, I get it. You watch some of the games. Probably the ones you expect us to lose or the ones that you've bet on. It must take a terrible toll cheering against Marner and watching him play fantastic. The cognitive dissonance must be almost painful for you and the rest of the haters
LOL. The only hater here is you but whatever, as long as you're having fun stalking me, you go girl.

Jun 27, 2005
LOL. The only hater here is you but whatever, as long as you're having fun stalking me, you go girl.
That's your rebuttable? Really? Dude, you've admitted to only watching some of the Leafs games and missed more than half of yesterday's game. Shirley you can see that if you're not watching then your opinion isn't valid so why don't you just stop posting your invalid opinions.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I hate that too, but you can't win a playoff series in February that's not how that works.
Some that clearly don’t understand how it works. Can’t enjoy today because yesterday was bad and tomorrow might be worse. Bunch of eeyores.
Funniest part is they state the playoff struggles like it’s some revelation
:laugh:

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
IMG_1422.jpeg

Not sure how much more proof you need that these xG/xGA stats are trash.IMG_1422.jpeg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's your rebuttable? Really? Dude, you've admitted to only watching some of the Leafs games and missed more than half of yesterday's game. Shirley you can see that if you're not watching then your opinion isn't valid so why don't you just stop posting your invalid opinions.
Whatever you say Shirley.

View attachment 821785
Not sure how much more proof you need that these xG/xGA stats are trash.
Wow, that's pretty funny.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Can't have an opinion on the Leafs unless you grew up watching little boys in the GTHL and followed Marners career since he was a toddler. Also you must carve out time in your busy life to watch every single Leafs game start to finish, and then have time to post about how great he is when finally on his 100th attempt a pass made it through a defenders skate to a teammate who promptly passed it to the goal scorer. Yay 2nd assist mitch is back!

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
View attachment 821785
Not sure how much more proof you need that these xG/xGA stats are trash.View attachment 821785
This game is the biggest “eye test doesn’t match the stats” I’ve ever seen. You want to tell me with a straight face that Martin Jones was almost 2 full goals better than expected last night?

Although it’s really skewed when you realize the leafs top 6 stopped playing 5 minutes into the second period.

Reactions: TMLife17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad