Post-Game Talk: Back to Back Hattricks for Matthews

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Brodie has started to play better recently which is much needed because for awhile there it was looking bad.

I know +/- isn't the best stat but his last 5 games he's been +2, +2, +3, +2, 0

If the teams wants to go on a championship run, this guy is still a very important player.

Jun 27, 2005
Can't have an opinion on the Leafs unless you grew up watching little boys in the GTHL and followed Marners career since he was a toddler. Also you must carve out time in your busy life to watch every single Leafs game start to finish, and then have time to post about how great he is when finally on his 100th attempt a pass made it through a defenders skate to a teammate who promptly passed it to the goal scorer. Yay 2nd assist mitch is back!
Must be tough for you haters watching Marner. He gets so many touches you must be cheering for a bad pass or mistake so often. It must truly be horrible to constantly be hoping for failure and then celebrating when he as all players makes the occasional mistake. But it must really hurt so much more often when he does make a great play because he makes a ton of them. I can't imagine how horrible it is for you to watch the Leafs and Marner in particular. Do you guys actually hope for the Leafs to lose?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm surprised that after a great win that there are only 9 pages, if they score were reversed there'd probably be 20 pages and talks of firings and blowing up the team.
It's just human nature, hardly unique to Leaf fans. It's an established fact that people are several times more likely to leave a bad review than a good review for something, same thing here.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm surprised that after a great win that there are only 9 pages, if they score were reversed there'd probably be 20 pages and talks of firings and blowing up the team.
Reasonable that losing 9-2 to a bottom 3 team would be more noteworthy than beating them, no?

Long weekend, into the dog days of the season before a stretch run and not much to really generate discussion.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Brodie has started to play better recently which is much needed because for awhile there it was looking bad.

I know +/- isn't the best stat but his last 5 games he's been +2, +2, +3, +2, 0

If the teams wants to go on a championship run, this guy is still a very important player.
It's nice to know he can still be effective on his strong side, good intel prior to trade deadline. He's much better there.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I know the Ducks aren't very good and my statement isnt based on just last night's game. I think the Leafs for whatever reason(s) are calmer with Jones in goal.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It's nice to know he can still be effective on his strong side, good intel prior to trade deadline. He's much better there.

Yep if you start to lose a step skating wise, playing your offside could become challenging.

Acquiring a RHD to play with Rielly and moving Brodie down the depth chart to play on his strongside could be the play right now.

Reactions: Duffman955

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yep if you start to lose a step skating wise, playing your offside could become challenging.

Acquiring a RHD to play with Rielly and moving Brodie down the depth chart to play on his strongside could be the play right now.
On his good side, third pair could be a great fit.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I'd love to add Scott Laughton but I wouldn't call him a top 6 forward

No argument there.

He would make the 3rd line solid. It allows JT to play the wing.

JT Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Knies Laughton Robertson
McMann Kampf Holmberg (Jarnkrok)

Reactions: TMLife17

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Some that clearly don’t understand how it works. Can’t enjoy today because yesterday was bad and tomorrow might be worse. Bunch of eeyores.
Funniest part is they state the playoff struggles like it’s some revelation
:laugh:

What can I say, I like watching special players put on special performances, and last night was a special performances, although I do have to admit, I feel like there was more there if Keefe hadn't benched him.

When I said I feel like he could have gotten 6 the way he was going, I wasn't joking.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It wouldn't be a win by a touchdown/stats night without a Bertuzzi goal post.

lol

whoa. I just saw the ANA goalies' SV% from last night. :popcorn:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No argument there.

He would make the 3rd line solid. It allows JT to play the wing.

JT Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Knies Laughton Robertson
McMann Kampf Holmberg (Jarnkrok)

See that's the thing it doesn't allow him to play the wing, not really.

For him to play the wing there needs to be a better #2 center in his spot, I don't think Domi is a better player than Tavares, I like Domi a lot but that's not a thing.

Scott Laughton would be a great add though.

I also don't think Robertson is safe, Keefe doesn't seem to be a fan and he's not a Treliving guy so there is no loyalty there.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If anything, that is a game they should remember. They didn't have any of the bad habits.
Those easy games…... Especially plays along the offensive blue line - drop passes, one on one dekes….leave all that stuff right where it is.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
It's just human nature, hardly unique to Leaf fans. It's an established fact that people are several times more likely to leave a bad review than a good review for something, same thing here.

Great game, happy we got 2 points, happy for Matty hatty !

Just don't get too excited running up the score against lame Duck. On to the next one !

Reactions: nuck

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
JT is day to day, is it their way to keep him out of the lineup and use his cap?
The team plays more fluid and so much better as a whole when JT is not around.

With the way the Leafs looking I wish they could keep him out till they hit a rough patch. Let him get fresh for the playoffs as much as possible. Even consider an LTIR scenario…

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario

People do that all the time. A player has a career year and then they are now compared to Matthews. Look at Reinhart this year, he's having a career year.

The difference between these players and Matthews is that Matthews has these goal scoring years consistently. They are nowhere near his level.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
What can I say, I like watching special players put on special performances, and last night was a special performances, although I do have to admit, I feel like there was more there if Keefe hadn't benched him.

When I said I feel like he could have gotten 6 the way he was going, I wasn't joking.
Pfft. I doubt he could get 6 in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00