Post-Game Talk: Back to Back Hattricks for Matthews

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
See that's the thing it doesn't allow him to play the wing, not really.

For him to play the wing there needs to be a better #2 center in his spot, I don't think Domi is a better player than Tavares, I like Domi a lot but that's not a thing.

It's becoming clear Domi is a better fit with Bertuzzi and Nylander than Tavares is. JT is an anchor with those two, I don't care where he's slotted when he returns but I don't want him centering that pair.

Management probably feel C is the least of our worries for this season, but it definitely needs to be addressed this summer.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's becoming clear Domi is a better fit with Bertuzzi and Nylander than Tavares is. JT is an anchor with those two, I don't care where he's slotted when he returns but I don't want him centering that pair.

Management probably feel C is the least of our worries for this season, but it definitely needs to be addressed this summer.

I Mean Treliving has explicitly said they are looking for a center so I don't think management feels that way at all.

Reactions: Duffman955

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Jarnkrok In gregor out
Sure, when he gets back (though I’d probably put him in over Holmberg, not Gregor). But he’s on LTIR with a broken knuckle, and the most recent update we’ve had is Keefe a few days ago saying he’s not close to returning: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/toron...r-placing-player-on-long-term-injured-reserve

We’re talking about what the lineup should be once JT returns. JT should be back very soon - basically for sure JT will be back well before Jarnkrok: NHL Buzz: Tavares out for Maple Leafs against Ducks with ‘pretty minor’ injury | NHL.com

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Considering how many times we lose to crappy teams I think this was a great game
Couldn't agree more.

Even though all teams lose to bottom feeders, the Leafs still tend to do it more, and they very rarely do they actually smash one

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Couldn't agree more.

Even though all teams lose to bottom feeders, the Leafs still tend to do it more, and they very rarely do they actually smash one
I'm pretty sure this is just an early-season issue.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I'm pretty sure this is just an early-season issue.
You can go look. They have a poor track record against weaker teams.

I don't even include Ottawa because rivalry games just don't make sense sometimes.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
You can go look. They have a poor track record against weaker teams.
Has anyone checked when the losses against lower-end teams happen? I feel like they happen earlier in the season rather than later. It was that way this year with the games against Chicago and Columbus.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I Mean Treliving has explicitly said they are looking for a center so I don't think management feels that way at all.
We need at least two more D first and foremost. If there's still cap space and assets to address 3C after that, midseason, all the power to them.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Reasonable that losing 9-2 to a bottom 3 team would be more noteworthy than beating them, no?

Long weekend, into the dog days of the season before a stretch run and not much to really generate discussion.
Record breaking 6 hat tricks in a season and possibly getting 70 goals and winning mvp are just a few things to generate discussion.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Agreed, prefer to have Willie with guys who can at least somewhat match his speed, that line is worth trying. JT should hopefully be more effective against weaker matchups when playing 3C, too.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Bertuzzi - JT - Robertson
Gregor - Kampf - Holmberg

Like this lineup. I’d sub out Holmberg and insert Reaves. They play bigger with him around

Reactions: Duffman955

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Record breaking 6 hat tricks in a season and possibly getting 70 goals and winning mvp are just a few things to generate discussion.
Not really. Disputes generate discussion and opposing view points, when ppl are in agreement there isn't much to discuss

Reactions: egd27

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Looks like I missed a good one. Just watched the highlights. Good to see Leafs going after that pos Gudas.

Hope we continue winning and take the hot streak and peak at the right time for the playoffs :crossfing

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Not really. Disputes generate discussion and opposing view points, when ppl are in agreement there isn't much to discuss
Mathews is still a distant 4th for mvp, which seems ridiculous, I'm sure that there are many that would debate this and create discussion. I just find it weird that more seem to discuss losses than wins, both are equally important.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Defintely take gregor out before holmberg are you joking?

Sure. What I mean is leave Reaves in. Gregor has been pretty invisible lately. Holmberg I’m not a huge fan of but he’s been good this call up. If you were to trade Kampf and replace him with Holmberg I’d be game

Anybody know who this dude is? I have zero clue

Small but physical D man. Honestly not sure how he will fare in the NHL but we’re down to like our 4th call up. Benoit is great. Lagesson up and down. Lajoie awful.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Brodie has started to play better recently which is much needed because for awhile there it was looking bad.

I know +/- isn't the best stat but his last 5 games he's been +2, +2, +3, +2, 0

If the teams wants to go on a championship run, this guy is still a very important player.
Perhaps Rielly was dragging him down? :DD

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Can we give some love to Bobby Mcmann? because nobody is even going to mention him, and I get why because Matthews is on pace to score, I think It's 75 but I'm not actually sure because his pace is ridiculous.

But Bobby Mcmann has 5 goals and 6 points in his last 3 games too.

I just hope he saves some goals for the playoffs because if they are going to go anywhere somebody like him is going to have to step up and provide depth scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad