Prospect Info: Babcock: Mikheyev (LW) is going to be a big part of our team (next year) RE-VOTE his Center

Who will be Mikheyev's center next year?

• Total voters

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Who found this guy? and why was he an unknown until on Leafs radar? and Babs should not have been pumping this guys tires before he even hits the ice with the team. The guy has done nothing yet and people are talking that he is going to hit the ice on day 1 for line rushes with Matty????????? This whole thing is super bizarre to me.
His agent said that there was 20+ interested teams. He was one of the big udfa names this year before the Leafs signed him, not to the level of a Bozak/Panarin/Gustavsson/Gilroy but still looked at as a good get as a free wallet before the destination was known

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
his agent said that there was 20+ interested teams
I am sure he probably did. But he is the new guy who still needs to earn his stripes on the team - he should not have been anointed like that. But I am also tired of the Babs approach to spreading out the talent over 3 lines. I guess the guy will never change.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I am sure he probably did. But he is the new guy who still needs to earn his stripes on the team - he should not have been anointed like that. But I am also tired of the Babs approach to spreading out the talent over 3 lines. I guess the guy will never change.
I think in this scenario he needs some opportunity to earn those stripes, which coincides with Hyman being hurt - that's probably why he'll get a look in the top 6, if Hyman was healthy it would be him and Johnsson

We're just really blessed with how much forward talent there is on this team, I don't think you can really "stack" the top because Johnsson, Kapanen, Kerfoot and to a lesser degree Hyman are really good high-end 3rd line to low-end 1st line players, and Mikheyev might join that tier. We have more worthy talent than places to play them in the top 2 lines

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dan Milstein, who is the agent for most of the big name Russian players, says he thinks he’s the “best undrafted European player to come over since 2015” (Panarin)

Says Toronto should as excited for Mikheyev as their other additions.

Says if Kyle is listening, he can’t wait for next summer when they can negotiate a big deal for Ilya, after he has a big year.

Said there were over 20 teams interested. Toronto did a great job. Kyle, Mike, & others in he organization were persistent in calling, and going to seeing him and building a relationship and Mikheyev didn’t think too hard on the decision, and his heart was in Toronto from the first meeting in August 2018

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Now that Babs has jinked him of course he will suck. Maybe he can take Hymans inexplicable ice time.
Hyman scored 21 goals last year, how many Career NHL goals does Mikheyev have? we dont even know if he is NHL capable but he is already supposed to take ice from Hyman seriously bad take.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hyman scored 21 goals last year, how many Career NHL goals does Mikheyev have? we dont even know if he is NHL capable but he is already supposed to take ice from Hyman seriously bad take.
doesn't that knife cut both ways when Hyman's best season is 41pts playing with two guys who averaged over 90? I'll admit that Hyman was better last year, but he's been endowed a role that he hasn't rightly earned, we should be glad that it looks like he'll finally have some competition for it

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Did you see those goals? Please save the bother of trying to convince me that Hyman is a top 6 winger on any other team in the league...only on a Babcock team. There isn't a team in the league that would trade you one of their top 6 wingers for Hyman straight up !

That said,for Babs to say this new guy has a for sure job is really just plain dumb. But, I believe any player who is a legit top 6 winger can do better than Hyman ,especially given the 2 allstars he has to play with.

So, if he is a bona-fide top 6 player,who has some chemistry with JT and Marner,it will be difficult to put Hyman back in there. So,knowing how Babs operates,I bet the new guy gets to play with Matthews, so that he doesn't have to explain why he is taking a talented player off the JT line in order to replace him with the no talent Hyman. I guess we will see!

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
doesn't that knife cut both ways when Hyman's best season is 41pts playing with two guys who averaged over 90? I'll admit that Hyman was better last year, but he's been endowed a role that he hasn't rightly earned, we should be glad that it looks like he'll finally have some competition for it
yea but simply stating it is a good idea to replace Hymans ice time with a player who is yet to play a shift in the NHL is a bad take.... I mean Hyman is what he is but he only plays where the coach tells him, I really like Zach I think he is a hard working piece, and am happy to have him

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
that's interesting as a take, and looking at their production I can see the comp. Just for some summer fun I looked at both player's highlight reels

Par Lindholm: He's a lot less deliberate than Mikheyev seems to be in his - less puck carrying (almost none), more throwing it on net and having it go in or shovel plays at the net, lots of secondary assist from pushing the puck forward to a team mate, etc. He never lead his team in scoring but always played with the top scorers. What stuck out to me is that almost every time someone did something noticeable in this reel, it wasn't Lindholm - he'd get a 2nd assist on the play kind of thing

Ilya Mikheyev: Seems a lot more deliberate than Lindholm, did lead his team in scoring last year, seems to create a lot of his own opportunity (I get a Matthewsy vibe for his approach, gets a lot of shots off quickly and follows them to the net, catches goalies by surprise. I am absolutely not saying that he's going to be anything close to Matthews, just stylistically similar), looks like he has better tools pretty much across the board - skating, size, hands, shot, vision. What stuck out to me here is that almost every time someone did something noticeable in this real, it was Mikheyev

I also think there's something to be said for the context that each guy is expected to play in - from what I remember, Lindholm was sort of an Aaltonen replacement who was always going to be the 4th line center if he made the team in mostly defensive usage. Mikheyev seems like he's going to get a shot to play with some premier talent in sort of a Hyman-esque role - go get the puck on dump ins, be defensively responsible, don't let a disproportionate number of offensive plays die on your stick. Player aside, it seems like Mikheyev's role has a lot more upside

Couple things I noticed.

Seems like Lindholm played on a stacked team but he really didn't stand out at all.

Mikheyev: I think were going to be agreeing with his agent at this time next year. It looks like he uses the extra ice on the European surface very well so I expect few even strength points early in the season, but it looks seems he has the brain to adjust to the smaller ice. Looks like he is going to be a great guy in front of the net on that second powerplay unit too with Nylander and this is where his early season points will come from. Will be very useful when he's more confidant come playoff time. There were also a few plays in that highlight pack that were very Lemieux like.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Who found this guy? and why was he an unknown until on Leafs radar? and Babs should not have been pumping this guys tires before he even hits the ice with the team. The guy has done nothing yet and people are talking that he is going to hit the ice on day 1 for line rushes with Matty????????? This whole thing is super bizarre to me.
After watching that highlight pack, that was the first time I've seen anything of him, if he's not with Matthews or Tavares it's a failure.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
yea but simply stating it is a good idea to replace Hymans ice time with a player who is yet to play a shift in the NHL is a bad take.... I mean Hyman is what he is but he only plays where the coach tells him, I really like Zach I think he is a hard working piece, and am happy to have him
The nice thing about Hyman being hurt is it gives us a chance to see some other guys in that role. Mikheyev might be better than Hyman or he might not, and if he isn't then Kapanen or Moore could get a chance. I think somewhere in that pile we'll find a guy who flourishes there, and if not then Hyman will be back

And it's no slight to Hyman, he's done what's asked of him within his talents, those talents just aren't as good as the opportunity he's been given. I like him too and he's going to be useful even if he gets beat for a top 6 job

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Couple things I noticed.

Seems like Lindholm played on a stacked team but he really didn't stand out at all.

Mikheyev: I think were going to be agreeing with his agent at this time next year. It looks like he uses the extra ice on the European surface very well so I expect few even strength points early in the season, but it looks seems he has the brain to adjust to the smaller ice. Looks like he is going to be a great guy in front of the net on that second powerplay unit too with Nylander and this is where his early season points will come from. Will be very useful when he's more confidant come playoff time. There were also a few plays in that highlight pack that were very Lemieux like.
Ya I agree. I wasn't excited about Mikheyev until I saw his tape. He seems to work in a crowd a lot and well even on big ice, so I think that will make his adjustment easier

He looks like he can process the game quickly, that's always the biggest factor to me, guys that think faster than their opponents end up being good players. Add in the speed and shot and I really like the upside

Also a really small commitment if it doesnt work out

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

I also think there's something to be said for the context that each guy is expected to play in - from what I remember, Lindholm was sort of an Aaltonen replacement who was always going to be the 4th line center if he made the team in mostly defensive usage. Mikheyev seems like he's going to get a shot to play with some premier talent in sort of a Hyman-esque role - go get the puck on dump ins, be defensively responsible, don't let a disproportionate number of offensive plays die on your stick. Player aside, it seems like Mikheyev's role has a lot more upside

Shit he’s fast.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This guy's 6'2" can skate (straight ahead speed, edges, agility) good hands won't be 25 until week 2 of the regular season. Over 20 teams wanted him. Are we sleeping on this guy?

There have been so many guys come from Europe that were supposed to be the next coming of Gretzky and they fizzle out to be nobodies, I think people have just been bitten so much in the past, there is a lasse faire attitude towards non drafted Euros.

I remember that one guy that went to Dallas, I think he may have went to Detroit first then Dallas and he was considered to be an elite elite non drafted player and he was nothing more than a bottom of the line up guy and didn't last long. I seem to remember that his first name started with an F and his last name started with a B I think.

TBH I'm expecting no more impact on the Leafs lineup than Josh Leivo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad