Prospect Info: Babcock: Mikheyev (LW) is going to be a big part of our team (next year) RE-VOTE his Center

Who will be Mikheyev's center next year?

• Total voters

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I used to enjoy listening to Babcock when he first came to the Leafs, he is painful now, to me anyways to listen to.

I would rather listen to Brian Burke yap than listen to this hokey dokey doofus.

If the Leafs ever win anything underneath this guys management, I will definitely eat an old hat .

horner

May 22, 2007
just from the KHL highlights, Mikheyev looks more impressive to me than either Zaitsev or Ozhiganov. Great motor, works well in a crowd (well the KHL version of one), good hands, good shot, good vision, fast. I could see him being a guy that we need so make cap space next year to keep
he's a forward. they are defenceman.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
He will likely be in the bottom 6. Likely start with maybe Kadri because Babs seems to have a thing for him already. If Dubas doesn't sign a Babcock guy like Perry, I don't see this working out between GM and coach. They're styles are so very different and something just seems off. I think we're a first round exit away from seeing Sheldon Keefe behind the bench

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
He basically said the same thing about Par Lindholm last year. The guy sucked and got traded at the deadline, so it doesn’t mean anything.

The KHL Russians we've been getting are more long shots. Not many pan out to be more than 6Ds, 4th liners, or fringe NHL players it seems. Hope we strike gold this time though.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
he is me, and all I said was I like his highlights better than Zaitsev/Oz, not that I thought he was going to be a better defenseman than them...

To be fair to Zaitsev, he was deployed as an offensive defenceman in Russia and over here Babcock has used him as a defensive match up guy. Before the angry pitchfork mob chases Babcock down the street again, Rielly was deployed as a defensive defenceman when Babcock first got here to make Rielly an all around defender. I think he is doing the same thing to Zaitsev. To directly answer your statement, the highlight reels of Zaitsev that I saw before he came over was a Dman who was prone to doing end to end rushes... his highlight reel was pretty good.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
To be fair to Zaitsev, he was deployed as an offensive defenceman in Russia and over here Babcock has used him as a defensive match up guy. Before the angry pitchfork mob chases Babcock down the street again, Rielly was deployed as a defensive defenceman when Babcock first got here to make Rielly an all around defender. I think he is doing the same thing to Zaitsev. To directly answer your statement, the highlight reels of Zaitsev that I saw before he came over was a Dman who was prone to doing end to end rushes... his highlight reel was pretty good.
I was meant that more in the sense that I like the look of Mikheyev better than the dmen, and I think his tools should translate really well to smaller ice - tenacity in puck pursuit should be more effective when there's less space, he seems to always be operating in a crowd when he has the puck so I think there will be less adaptation for him to smaller ice than there is for most KHL players, seems to think fast, seems to have good hands and a good shot especially from in close which will probably be applicable. I think Mikheyev has the look of a player who could be very effective in the NHL.

I had a better feeling about Ozhiganov than Zaitsev based on his highlights, and honestly I think he turned out to be the better player. I'm disappointed that we didn't keep him.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I was meant that more in the sense that I like the look of Mikheyev better than the dmen, and I think his tools should translate really well to smaller ice - tenacity in puck pursuit should be more effective when there's less space, he seems to always be operating in a crowd when he has the puck so I think there will be less adaptation for him to smaller ice than there is for most KHL players, seems to think fast, seems to have good hands and a good shot especially from in close which will probably be applicable. I think Mikheyev has the look of a player who could be very effective in the NHL.

I had a better feeling about Ozhiganov than Zaitsev based on his highlights, and honestly I think he turned out to be the better player. I'm disappointed that we didn't keep him.

I like the bolded, well thought out. I would tend to agree with your statement.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
All due respect, they have actually watched, scouted, and know Mekheyev. So not understanding the snide comments. We are simply not privy to all the internal conversations that management have. Babs let a little bit out there and we are jumping all over him about it.

So I'll defer my opinion until I have actually watched him play a game.

Reactions: Leaf Fans
Sep 18, 2009
All due respect, they have actually watched, scouted, and know Mekheyev. So not understanding the snide comments. We are simply not privy to all the internal conversations that management have. Babs let a little bit out there and we are jumping all over him about it.

So I'll defer my opinion until I have actually watched him play a game.

Babcock lives in fantasy land
Dreams of his old school lineups

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Mikheyev's agent really hyped him up this morning...

"Talent wise, he's probably going to be the best undrafted talent out of Europe making a move to North America since 2015."

[Edit: His since 2015 reference was Panarin]

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

"Talent wise, he's probably going to be the best undrafted talent out of Europe making a move to North America since 2015."

If the agent ends up being right can we hire him to replace the retired Thommie Bergman?

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

That was an interesting bit. Milstein is an interesting character with his Russian ties.
Wish they 'd asked him why did Zaitsev wanted out.... he might have provided some twitter fodder for today

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I know its just a youtube clip and its by far the worst way to evaluate a player but his skillset looks elite.

Great skater. Good hands. Can finish.

He's said to be decent defensively.

If hes anywhere close to a decent forchecker/puck retriever I'd try him out with Matthews and Nylander.

Reactions: ULF_55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad