Prospect Info: Babcock: Mikheyev (LW) is going to be a big part of our team (next year) RE-VOTE his Center

Who will be Mikheyev's center next year?

• Total voters

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I think this guy and maybe Perry, if he'll take a bargain basement deal would be interesting adds to our team for next season. I'm not 100% sure though how the lineup would shake out if we got both though.

I'd take Perry at league min as well, only problem is the way Babcock will deploy him.

He'll be the new Marleau in no time. 20+ minutes a game, out there 6 on 5 trying to tie it up with under a minute left, while our stars sit on the bench.

Reactions: uncleblazer

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
With the current forward group:

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Micheyev - - Kadri - - - Kapanen

I expect at least one or two forwards to be flipped for defence, not sure who at this point.
Could see Kadri being moved but that really does affect our centre depth big time.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
We'll see if this guy can play at the NHL level. Then figure out who his linemates are going to be. If he can actually handle it then probably gets given to Kadri.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Mikheev made a jump to khl from vhl. Vhl is Russian ahl, but it is more like echl, because there is no young players development. Career minor leaguers play there. Promotion vhl-to-khl is very rare thing. Mikheev not only got promoted to khl contender, but soon appeared in the top 6, which is unprecedented.
He is a hard worker and a pro. Leafs need guys like him. And he has size and can play. He will be in the top-9 for sure.

member 300185

With the current forward group:

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Micheyev - - Kadri - - - Kapanen

I expect at least one or two forwards to be flipped for defence, not sure who at this point.
Hyman won't be back until December and possibly January.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Could see Kadri being moved but that really does affect our centre depth big time.

Our center NHL ready prospect pool is not great but if Petan can get close to his potential he would be an ideal 3rd line replacement for Naz. Petan scored almost 1.5 points per game in the WHL, 0.8 points per game in the AHL, that should slot him somewhere between .35 to .45 points per game in the NHL, not horrible production at the 3C spot.

These two guys in our pipeline interest me:
  1. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
  2. Riley Stotts

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Didn’t babcock also say korshkov in his end of season presser? Something along the lines of “we have a couple big forwards on the team next season Mikheyev and korshkov”

Extreme paraphrasing but I swear he mentioned korshkov too

Reactions: CelticDruid

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I love that with small guys who perform professionally, both with the Marlies and big club, they can never do enough to earn Babcock's trust or regular playing time, but a big guy who's proved nothing with either team is already being talked about as a lock for the lineup next year. You can't make this stuff up.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Kinda surprised to see Mike come out and say ( 50 sec mark) a guy with zero years NHL experience is going to be a big part of our team next year.

He also said "bottom line is we still have training camp" so nothing in stone.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
I love that with small guys who perform professionally, both with the Marlies and big club, they can never do enough to earn Babcock's trust or regular playing time, but a big guy who's proved nothing with either team is already being talked about as a lock for the lineup next year. You can't make this stuff up.
I guess Tampa recent collapse in the playoffs taught you nothing. All their skilled small guys were absolutely ineffective vs big guys that "proved nothing". You need to have your small guys supported by bigger forwards. Otherwise get ready for beating in the playoffs.

Reactions: coupe93 and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Kinda surprised to see Mike come out and say ( 50 sec mark) a guy with zero years NHL experience is going to be a big part of our team next year.

I'm surprised too, I expect this from the fan base, but not from the coach, my position is cautiously optimistic.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I guess Tampa recent collapse in the playoffs taught you nothing. All their skilled small guys were absolutely ineffective vs big guys that "proved nothing". You need to have your small guys supported by bigger forwards. Otherwise get ready for beating in the playoffs.

Everything isn't so black or white. What works one year with one team doesn't automatically mean that is the way it works going forward. God knows we've had a lot of guys with 'truculence' produce absolutely nothing. I'd rather give a chance to productive/proven (AHL or limited NHL) players (eg. Moore/Bracco/Ennis, etc.) that haven't yet proven they can't hack it in the NHL, vs. just giving a chance to completely unproven commodities simply because they have size. KHL success is nice, but I don't see how Babs' whole motto of being hard on young players and making them go above and beyond to earn any trust gets tossed out the window simply because a kid has some size. That is laughable.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I see him on the 4th with GOAT. His size and snarl could prove beneficial on the wing. We'll wait and see. Don't see him with Matthews or Naz. Could have opportunity to move up based on success.

AJ - AM - Willy
Hyman (inj) - JT - Mitch
Moore - Naz - Kap
Mikheyev - GOAT - Ennis/Marlie/FA

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I put more stock into this unknown entity than Korshkov. I'm hoping for some more skill, strength and balance than Korshkov. Korshkov isn't nothing but he reminds me of teenaged Freddy Gauthier.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I'm not super hyped at all, but you definitely give him a shot. With Hyman out, I could see him getting at least a shot with Matthews or JT.
Hope I'm pleasantly surprised by this guy.
It's hard for some euros to adjust to the ice size. The game comes at you so much faster on the smaller surface.
23 goals in the KHL at 24yo is pretty good though. Leading goal scorer only had 30.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He already found his new Hyman I see

Now that he praised him we all know he will be lining up with Auston and never coming out of the line up

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I said Matthews, unless they want Nylander at LW in which case it would be Kadri/whomever the 3C is next year (with him in his natural RW position with Johnsson as his LW). If Nylander is not at LW, I think he's Matthews' new Hyman on the LW.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Its bothersome that Babcock talks about who will be on the team. Not your decision to make there buddy. And you're god-awful at selecting talent

The lineup is 100% his decision. For better or worse, part of the reasoning I have for losing the first is if we did keep marleau babs will for sure overplay him again.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I know korshkov has pretty much never played LW but as a left handed player maybe babs convinces him to give it a try. Maybe to start Mikheyev on the 3lw and korshkov 4lw and see from there?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It’s the off-season, how people play at camp will determine who plays. That being said good chance this guy plays in the bottom 6.

Marleau is gone, Brown is likely on his way out, Ennis will likely want more than we’re willing to pay. There’s lots of opportunity for a winger, even more to start the season with Hyman out.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I put more stock into this unknown entity than Korshkov. I'm hoping for some more skill, strength and balance than Korshkov. Korshkov isn't nothing but he reminds me of teenaged Freddy Gauthier.
He is further ahead in his development than Korshkov and will almost certainly make the team out of camp over him. I watched Korsh down the stretch and he needs more time, mostly so that he can learn English and they can actually start working with him. Keefe didn't use him on any special teams because he has to relay everything through Timashov instructions-wise. He's still only 22 and I think he'll benefit from a full year with the Marlies and under Barb's tutelage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad