News Article: Babcock: Marleau, Tavares, Rielly will wear a letter

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The anger that some people here show towards what is happening on the main board is mystifying to me. Why does anyone care what is being said by non-Leaf fans?
It's more of that we can't stand how the moderators on the main board can let that thread even happen because Babcock's full quote was not used in the original post.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
It's more of that we can't stand how the moderators on the main board can let that thread even happen because Babcock's full quote was not used in the original post.

Friend, my point being there's always going to be something said that can be seen as 'incomplete' or 'wrong'. Worrying about what others say just cheats me from enjoying my day and trying to convince others who don't want to be convinced leads nowhere. That said, to each their own...enjoy your day :)

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I think the letters given were given to the right players personally. Both Marleau and Tavaras have been captains on their old clubs and Reilly has been with the team for quite some time now and is definitely the leader from our blueline. Matthews will likely gain a letter when Marleau retires and I expect that he will be captain of the Leafs at some point in his career. At this point in his career, I prefer that Matthews continues to focus on himself, improving his game and growing as a player without the added pressure, both from media and on ice, that captaincy would bring.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Friend, my point being there's always going to be something said that can be seen as 'incomplete' or 'wrong'. Worrying about what others say just cheats me from enjoying my day and trying to convince others who don't want to be convinced leads nowhere. That said, to each their own...enjoy your day :)
If that's your opinion I can respect it. However I don't mind telling others if they are wrong because I think if they are not corrected they will keep doing that in the future. Chances are it might not change their opinion if there is another "controversial" story about Matthews. However I rather say something when they are wrong and not say anything at all.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Kadri deserves an A ...

You know, I'm right there with ya. Love Kadri's compete. But I understand what's happening with the decision and I don't think it's as detrimental as some of us are erring towards.

But Kadri with an A...Yep. I see it.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Rielly's up there in terms of tenure as a Leaf. Tavares has experience being captain. In a way, I'm even more convinced now that Matthews will be the next captain.

Well management said they want a guy to take control, if someone is clearly the choice during the year itll be so.

Reactions: Buds17

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I think the letters given were given to the right players personally. Both Marleau and Tavaras have been captains on their old clubs and Reilly has been with the team for quite some time now and is definitely the leader from our blueline. Matthews will likely gain a letter when Marleau retires and I expect that he will be captain of the Leafs at some point in his career. At this point in his career, I prefer that Matthews continues to focus on himself, improving his game and growing as a player without the added pressure, both from media and on ice, that captaincy would bring.

And I think that's the same for Nylander and Marner. Allow the big three as much room to grow in their on-ice responsibilities while veterans of the club handle issues that could potentially distract them from the type of isolated focus needed at this stage of their careers, moreover given their outlier talents.

I want to champion Marner for a moment. We all know he's exceptional, but I think this kid is going to be something very special and I wouldn't for a moment be surprised if the club eventually named him captain. I think it's going to be and should be Matthews from what I've seen thus far. But, Marner brings a levity that's leadership-esque but with the apparent effortlessness that only truly great players can muster. And from what I've seen of him, he certainly is starting to round into the team's engine...And a C on a player like that wouldn't look out of place in the least.

Wonderful problems to have.

Reactions: charliolemieux

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Watching the Tavares and Matthews duo interview with Dreger i get the sense that Matthews will be the captain and Tavares already knows this.. It.s probably going to happen after he will extend the contract.. People and haters can say what they want but AM is the face of The franchise and Dubas is to smart not to realize this.. Tavares was pretty much clear he would not come here without AM..i am pretty sure the plan is this AM CAPTAIN, and the 3 A's Tavares Reilly and Marner who will replace Marleau after he leaves...

Reactions: Zizzzzy
Apr 1, 2010
Rielly was my pick for Captain anyway. Giving Marleau, and JT letters too just keeps things cool.
When Marleau leaves Matthews can have his A. There is no need for a single Captain. A leadership group can be more effective when you have a room full of type A personalities.

People who want to shove the C onto Matthews sweater just because he might be the most talented player on the team need to sit back and relax. OF this current roster I would have AM, 5th or 6th in line for a letter, regardless of talent.

This team does not need to name a C.

Apr 1, 2010
And I think that's the same for Nylander and Marner. Allow the big three as much room to grow in their on-ice responsibilities while veterans of the club handle issues that could potentially distract them from the type of isolated focus needed at this stage of their careers, moreover given their outlier talents.

I want to champion Marner for a moment. We all know he's exceptional, but I think this kid is going to be something very special and I wouldn't for a moment be surprised if the club eventually named him captain. I think it's going to be and should be Matthews from what I've seen thus far. But, Marner brings a levity that's leadership-esque but with the apparent effortlessness that only truly great players can muster. And from what I've seen of him, he certainly is starting to round into the team's engine...And a C on a player like that wouldn't look out of place in the least.

Wonderful problems to have.
Right now, I put a letter on Marner's jersey, before Matthews.
The kid is just special.

How can you not follow a kid that gives it all every shift?

Reactions: ITM

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
It's a mistake not to give it to Auston.

Why the hell are they playing with fire? You gotta give him what he wants and make him feel important. That includes making him the "C", that's bad enough but to not give him a letter is a huge mistake.

I am concerned that Babcock is going to mess this up. If he starts making Tavares "the man" then say goodbye to Matthews as soon as he gets a chance.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Why the hell are they playing with fire? You gotta give him what he wants and make him feel important. That includes making him the "C", that's bad enough but to not give him a letter is a huge mistake.

I am concerned that Babcock is going to mess this up. If he starts making Tavares "the man" then say goodbye to Matthews as soon as he gets a chance.
Since Matthews himself made a push for Dubas to sign Tavares and tweeted about congratulations for him after he signed on July 1, I think he's ok with how things are going.

Auston Matthews made a personal push to get John Tavares to join Maple Leafs | The Star

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

pretty silly post, bud ... just saying

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Marleau over Kadri and Matthews shafted.

Babcock; you are losing my trust slowly.

Let's piss of the player who has a chance to be #2 on the planet.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Marleau over Kadri and Matthews shafted.

Babcock; you are losing my trust slowly.

Let's piss of the player who has a chance to be #2 on the planet.

Marleau is a vet, time tested leader he deserves it. Kadri is good but took a dumb dumb penalty in game one or 3 last yr that was a huge reason in us being knocked out round 1. Letter doesn't mean you're the one vying for captain. It means your trusted to lead by example on and off ice. Matthew's doesnt need extra weight. We know he can lead...now he just has to learn from Patty and JT and take control.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Really smart move imo. Either way, next move Auston gets a promotion. Either JT gets the C, and Auston gets an A. Or Auston leapfrogs all the way to the C. Mitigation and total disaster averted.

Last edited:

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
pretty silly post, bud ... just saying

Ya..just like media saying he was pissed about JT until he said about 500 times he wanted him here and called him went out to dinner with him. In Toronto you have to learn to sift through media reports, and false leads. With current management group I've learnt take most at face value, they dont hide and lie.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Marleau is a vet, time tested leader he deserves it. Kadri is good but took a dumb dumb penalty in game one or 3 last yr that was a huge reason in us being knocked out round 1. Letter doesn't mean you're the one vying for captain. It means your trusted to lead by example on and off ice. Matthew's doesnt need extra weight. We know he can lead...now he just has to learn from Patty and JT and take control.

If I'm Matthews; in my own internal cables i'm thinking I'm McDavid level soon or i'm the second best player. If he doesn't believe he can be that; it could never manifest. So If i'm Matthews and see Toews, Crosby and the McDavid's of the world get captaincies at 19 or 20; i'm pretty pissed off i'm not getting at least an A after putting up the monster seasons that I had.

That's just my opinion. He was a PPG + player and our leader last season. No reason he isn't deserving over the declining Marleau imo; and Tavares who hasn't played a game here.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If I'm Matthews; in my own internal cables i'm thinking I'm McDavid level soon or i'm the second best player. If he doesn't believe he can be that; it could never manifest. So If i'm Matthews and see Toews, Crosby and the McDavid's of the world get captaincies at 19 or 20; i'm pretty pissed off i'm not getting at least an A after putting up the monster seasons that I had.

That's just my opinion. He was a PPG + player and our leader last season. No reason he isn't deserving over the declining Marleau imo; and Tavares who hasn't played a game here.
When Crosby, Toews and McDavid were named captains of their teams what other players did they have at the time to be named captain instead of them? I'm going to say it's a 99.9% chance that Matthews will be the next Leafs captain and him not being given an A this season is not a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad