News Article: Babcock: Marleau, Tavares, Rielly will wear a letter

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Of course an oilers fans would start a thread on the mains about this, trying to stir things up.

I would prefer having a defenceman as captain. But using 3 A's, 2 being X captains themselves, is an awesome idea for this season.

If the lines are as planned:
1 A on matthews/nylanders wing
1 A as marners centre
1 A on defense

Looks good to me.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Just give Tavares the C and be done with it already ... Do they think Matthews will leave or add a couple mil AAV to his negotiations if he doesn't get it. :rolleyes:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Just give Tavares the C and be done with it already ... Do they think Matthews will leave or add a couple mil AAV to his negotiations if he doesn't get it. :rolleyes:
Why should we give someone who has never played a game for the team yet the C ?

JT also has enough pressure trying to live up to his contract without the added pressure of wearing the C.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Of course an oilers fans would start a thread on the mains about this, trying to stir things up.

I would prefer having a defenceman as captain. But using 3 A's, 2 being X captains themselves, is an awesome idea for this season.

If the lines are as planned:
1 A on matthews/nylanders wing
1 A as marners centre
1 A on defense

Looks good to me.

The obsession is unhealthy. Look at how many people are trolling in that thread. Repeat offenders too.

As for Matthews, not getting a letter, pretty sure they're waiting for the contract extension.

Reactions: stickty111

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The obsession is unhealthy. Look at how many people are trolling in that thread. Repeat offenders too.

As for Matthews, not getting a letter, pretty sure they're waiting for the contract extension.

If I say Lilligren will not be ready to play in the NHL for another couple years, I will get trolled/insulted by Leaf fans on here... it will lead to me being penalized for "provoking" ... true story, ask Ernie friend.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He’s 20, upcoming RFA, and hasn’t won a playoff series before.

I don’t see how it makes more sense giving it to him now over Marleau.

I didn’t say it made more sense. But, seriously its not hard to figure out why they’d pick a 21 year old franchise player to wear the A. If they did, no one would question the decision.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Matthews will replace Marleau and get an "A" when he signs his new contract... Which will take place as Marleau leaves town.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I know the 3 guys named deserve it but no A for Matthew's? Does that take him out of the captaincy running?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Love all the f***ing haters losing their mind on the main boards. People will comment negatively on literally everything the Leafs do. It's going to be so sweet when we win the Cup and everyone whines and complains about it.

Reactions: LeaffaninQuebec

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
The choices are fine. I have never been a fan of a young guy coming in and being a a captain to players in their later 20's . doesn't command respect . Respect is earned and learned even though some have stepped into the roll early. I prefer the the old Montreal way where a tenured player assumes the captaincy. Of course it can't be a plug but one of class and substance. The young will get their chance. Gone are the days where players stay with the same team for eons. I find a glaring snub maybe at Kadri. He fits the age requirement and was drafted with pedigree and a future face of the organization at the time. Maybe Kadri before Rielly but otherwise i can live with the choices.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Meh. I don’t think many of the Leafs themselves care much so why should we?

daner

Feb 18, 2009
I think this means Matthews will get the C. To go from Tavares vs Matthews captaincy theories (although media driven) and then to not even give Matthews an A. Anyways just my thoughts and wouldn't be surprised if it happens soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad