News Article: Babcock: Marleau, Tavares, Rielly will wear a letter

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Matthews not getting an A sticks out for sure ... and surely, with Babcock and the management team at the helm, it was done for a reason. And that reason must be something behind the scenes that is unknown to nearly all of us, IMHO.

Fine with me, as long as it's fine with Matthews. In the end, if he's the big boy I think he is... he'll get past it quick.

My pick for captain has always been Rielly, but it could easily be Tavares by the end of the season.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've never understood why people always assume the best player on the team will be the captain or even get a letter. We have no idea what Matthews is like. I'm not saying he won't be the captain one day but from what the media reports, there's plenty of leaders on the team. It shouldn't be seen as an insult to any player to not wear a letter.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Looks like the vets get the A. Both former captains which is an easy choice for a young team. MR is a exexellent choice on the back end. AM will get his A in a couple years and foresee Tavares getting the C for 5 years then handing the reigns over to AM before or when it’s time for him to resign

And not having a letter doesn’t mean your not a leader. Leaders always rise and separate themselves. This team is full of guys who were captains at different levels and have the required qualities who are capable of leading in different areas. These guys are pros. Gud pros.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Thank Jesus summer is almost over. This is a non story. 3 of the guys selected all have shown excellent leadership skills, 2 of which are former Captains. Mirtle wrote in his training camp preview yesterday that he's heard the Leafs will go another year with no Captain and then slap the C on Matthews next year in his 4th year. Another poster pointed out that maybe the team voted on this, and these 3 guys were chosen?

Reactions: Liminality

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Thank Jesus summer is almost over. This is a non story. 3 of the guys selected all have shown excellent leadership skills, 2 of which are former Captains. Mirtle wrote in his training camp preview yesterday that he's heard the Leafs will go another year with no Captain and then slap the C on Matthews next year in his 4th year. Another poster pointed out that maybe the team voted on this, and these 3 guys were chosen?
Have to admit I find Mirtle funny there, as if they already have a plan a year out for the Captaincy, come on.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
All of a sudden being captain of a team is a big deal? It's not, so don't listen to people saying it is. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes and who the leaders are. Maybe Matthews isn't a leader? With Tavares signed long term, he is going to be the captain. They obviously hold league experience and past leadership skills as high values, which they should.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Have to admit I find Mirtle funny there, as if they already have a plan a year out for the Captaincy, come on.

It’s pretty standard that if they had already anticipated to give him captain eventually, they’d do so and announce it along with his new 8yr contract.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Smart not to give Matthews or Marner any letter this year.

Obviously we will wait until they are locked up so this isn't another piece of leverage for them to bargain with. Next year 34 gets the C and 16 will get an A.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
You know, I'm right there with ya. Love Kadri's compete. But I understand what's happening with the decision and I don't think it's as detrimental as some of us are erring towards.

But Kadri with an A...Yep. I see it.

The refs don't like NK very much. May make it hard for Kadri to get them to listen when calls are being disputed.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
They are setting up the assistant captains now, and Matthews will get his letter this season when he signs his long term extension.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Kadri deserves an A ...

Why Kadri wouldn't be given a letter is pure speculation. We don't know what his relationships with teammates, coaching, etc. is like. We don't know his character off the ice. But this is all stuff that has filtered through to the fans: Some could argue Kadri has never been able to develop any chemistry on ice. It didn't look like Kessel didn't want to play with him. Think it's quite obvious he's been selfish with the puck his whole career. Kadri was called out by Dallas Eakins for showing up to camp out of shape. He slept in and turned up late for a team meeting. He was suspended and called out by Brendan Shanahan. His reputation has lead him from drawing penalties to diving calls. He's now likely to get an off-setting unsportsmanlike call during skirmishes. He's a hot-head and would be the last person you'd want talking to referees in a sportsman's professional manner. I think we can see why he wouldn't be considered, even without knowing the full story, or knowing that he's probably matured as a player.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I actually think Babs made the right decision here. Tavares, Marleau, and Rielly are all appropriate choices as alternate captains at this juncture.

Matthews might be the most talented overall player in the lineup, but he still needs to grow into a leadership role. When Marleau retires, there will be an opportunity for Matthews to wear a letter.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Since Matthews himself made a push for Dubas to sign Tavares and tweeted about congratulations for him after he signed on July 1, I think he's ok with how things are going.

Auston Matthews made a personal push to get John Tavares to join Maple Leafs | The Star

2 things. Number one ignore anything a player or team says in the media. It’s meaningless garbage and they have no interest in truth. It’s the say nothing put on a happy face and whatever you don’t give anybody from outside any fodder to know any problems.

Number 2. I don’t find it impossible to believe Matthews could think Tavares could be good (but what the hell did you expect him to tweet after they signed him??) for the team. But just wait.

When you have 2 horses it doesn’t always work out the way you think. People want to dismiss what happened to Gilmour when Sundin came in.

Auston wants and needs to be the man in Toronto just as McDavid is in Edmonton.

Ask yourself honestly how Matthews is going to feel when there’s a big moment in big games and Babcock sends out JT’s line and leaves Auston on the bench. And then if people start to talk about a Matthews slump or poor play how is he going to really feel when he knows JT is being used as the man and not him.

You’re not very perceptive if you don’t see this has potential for disaster.

It was fine to bring in JT if you do it the right way and play to Auston’s Ego. Assure him in every way possible this is His team. And this move shows they are tone deaf.

I believe Matthews can be better than McDavid. But you need to make everything happen around Auston and always make sure he knows that.

These moves are very disturbing and a precursor to on ice in game decisions that will piss Matthews off.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
2 things. Number one ignore anything a player or team says in the media. It’s meaningless garbage and they have no interest in truth. It’s the say nothing put on a happy face and whatever you don’t give anybody from outside any fodder to know any problems.

Number 2. I don’t find it impossible to believe Matthews could think Tavares could be good (but what the hell did you expect him to tweet after they signed him??) for the team. But just wait.

When you have 2 horses it doesn’t always work out the way you think. People want to dismiss what happened to Gilmour when Sundin came in.

Ask yourself honestly how Matthews is going to feel when there’s a big moment in big games and Babcock sends out JT’s line and leaves Auston on the bench. And then if people start to talk about a Matthews slump or poor play how is he going to really feel when he knows JT is being used as the man and not him.

It was fine to bring in JT if you do it the right way and play to Auston’s Ego. Assure him in every way possible this is His team. And this move shows they are tone deaf.

I believe Matthews can be better than McDavid. But you need to make everything happen around Auston and always make sure he knows that.

These moves are very disturbing and a precursor to on ice in game decisions that will piss Matthews off.
Sounds like more overreacting.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

This is all baloney.

I was going to elaborate, but it's honestly not even worth it.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
This is all baloney.

I was going to elaborate, but it's honestly not even worth it.

Save this post for when Matthews is struggling and people are talking about why and how it could happen.

Things like this (it's essentially about ego and if the player feels he's getting respect he thinks he deserves) matter.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Save this post for when Matthews is struggling and people are talking about why and how it could happen.

Things like this (it's essentially about ego and if the player feels he's getting respect he thinks he deserves) matter.
I'll write those people off the same way I wrote off your post - These are young players trying to develop and adapt to the NHL while also trying to grow up and be mature adults at the age of 20-22, if people can't be patient when those kids go through some growing pains then that's their own problem - Not mine, and not Matthews'.

Luckily, Matthews seems mature enough and competitive enough that I see no reason at all to buy into this notion that he needs to be coddled and babied in order to be happy and successful.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How do you know Babcock would not mix up his lines in a situation like that to send out Matthews and Tavares together on the same line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->