News Article: Babcock: Marleau, Tavares, Rielly will wear a letter

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The two longest serving players get no "A" ... they must lack the requisite leadership qualities.

Leivo snubbed again ;)

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Who was the last unsigned NHL player entering his 3rd year to be made Captain or even an alternate?

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
playing hardball with Matthews probably want to see how he reacts to not receiving a letter, plus as others have stated easy just to not give him a letter until after he signs, no point giving him any extra leverage.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm going to speculate Kadri lost the A from his suspension. Why?
because it's fun

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't think he had a letter last year. It was Bozak, Rielly, and Leo. People only got them when either Leo was benched or the others were injured.
I'm going to speculate I don't pay attention

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
playing hardball with Matthews probably want to see how he reacts to not receiving a letter, plus as others have stated easy just to not give him a letter until after he signs, no point giving him any extra leverage.

not everything in life is cynical, especially with Dubas.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The vets will be the leaders in this era.

Matthews has a little bit of growing up. We have plenty of time to give the C later on in his career.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Love all the ****ing haters losing their mind on the main boards. People will comment negatively on literally everything the Leafs do. It's going to be so sweet when we win the Cup and everyone whines and complains about it.

Haven't been on the main boards today (rather just chill with my fellow Leafs fans today) but I can just imagine it's a s**t-show.

If the Leafs do win a Cup (or 2 or 3) I'm going to be all over the main boards reminding them constantly...Tavares is a Leaf and they won a ****ING CUP!!!!!

They think Leafs fans are obnoxious now? They haven't seen anything yet :naughty:

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
FYI, A stands for Alternate, not Assistant. They've been telling us this for decades.
Those of us that actually laced em up and were good enough to get an A were called assistant captains by our coaches , our teammates and the on ice officials .

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If I say Lilligren will not be ready to play in the NHL for another couple years, I will get trolled/insulted by Leaf fans on here... it will lead to me being penalized for "provoking" ... true story, ask Ernie friend.
Because it is provoking.
Leafs fans will get trolled on the main boards. The obsession is unhealthy for the haters.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Those of us that actually laced em up and were good enough to get an A were called assistant captains by our coaches , our teammates and the on ice officials .

That's nice. But in the NHL the A stands for Alternate, which is what is being discussed in this forum.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I know the 3 guys named deserve it but no A for Matthew's? Does that take him out of the captaincy running?

Rielly's up there in terms of tenure as a Leaf. Tavares has experience being captain. In a way, I'm even more convinced now that Matthews will be the next captain.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Rielly's up there in terms of tenure as a Leaf. Tavares has experience being captain. In a way, I'm even more convinced now that Matthews will be the next captain.
Imagine if they sign him just before the playoffs and he walks out with a C on game 1

Reactions: Buds17

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
The anger that some people here show towards what is happening on the main board is mystifying to me. Why does anyone care what is being said by non-Leaf fans? As to M/T/R getting the A on their jersey's, wasn't it Marleau who gave the 'speech' that turned things around last year (and adopting Marner and Matthews), hasn't JT earned his stripes as a well respected C and member of Team Canada and didn't Rielly become 'the voice' of the Leafs after almost every game last season? Not exactly Larry, Curly and Moe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad