News Article: Babcock: Marleau, Tavares, Rielly will wear a letter

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Babcock: Marleau, Tavares, Rielly will wear a letter for Leafs this season
by Josh Wegman The Score

Babcock: Marleau, Tavares, Rielly will wear a letter for Leafs this season

w640xh480_GettyImages-949530298.jpg

Patrick Marleau, John Tavares, and Morgan Rielly will all wear a letter for the Toronto Maple Leafs this season, head coach Mike Babcock told TSN's Darren Dreger.
This, of course, would leave out Auston Matthews.

Two of the Maple Leafs' alternate captains from a year ago - Tyler Bozak and Leo Komarov - departed via free agency this offseason.

Rielly was the third alternate captain, while Marleau, a former captain of the San Jose Sharks, wore an "A" on occasion last season.

Tavares spent the last five seasons as the captain of the New York Islanders.

In late August, Matthews said he would be ready to accept the Leafs' captaincy if called upon.

Last edited:

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
only people who care are the media and hfboards apparently (well some). C and A means nada. They spoke how Matt Martin, Patrick Marleau and Ron Hainsey were locker room leaders last yr.

With the exception of generational talents (McDavid), you dont just give a kid a C, especially one who was sheltered from the media for the past few years.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Wait, he didn't say what letter. Might not be A or C. Could it be X? Q? Љ? Ω? I'd like to see a player with a Ω on his jersey personally.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
AM said the right things but didn't seem to thrilled when questioned by the media about it.

don't get why they wouldn't slap an A on his jersey but give one to a someone who's never played a game with us and another to someone who'll be gone within a year or two and couldn't care less , seems like creating drama where there doesn't need to be any

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
AM said the right things but didn't seem to thrilled when questioned by the media about it.

don't get why they wouldn't an A on his jersey but give one to a someone who's never played a game with us and another to someone who'll be gone within a year or two and couldn't care less , seems creating drama where there doesn't need to be any

Because Marleau is a good leader and Matthews can have his letter in a year or two? I would have given Matthews an A, but it's not at all hard to understand.

Reactions: White Shadow

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not surprised at all. Why would Mathews get a letter at this point?

He has not resigned with us and there was a big difference of opinion with him and his coach.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Whats everyone complaining about this is what its supposed to be.. Marleau should clearly be an assistant since he is 39, played 20 seasons in the NHL, unlimited playoff experience, previous captain.. young guys getting captains are always weird to me.. and babcock is old school.

Reactions: Lauro

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

He has not resigned with us and there was a big difference of opinion with him and his coach.
omg he dared question the coach , off with his head

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No contract for Willie, no letter for Auston.......Leafs management stirring up some controversy as camp opens. Interesting

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
omg he dared question the coach , off with his head
You simply like to post nonsense with out a thought process. It was not a simply disagreement his parents were involved. You do not put a letter on a player who still has his parents involved in his adult life.

I also said he has not resigned with us yet but you choose to ignore that portion of my post.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

Because he is the face of the franchise? Our best player? Turned the team around? I don't really have an issue with rolling with these three but "why give Matthews a letter at this point"? The answers are a hell of a lot more valid than your reasons not to.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Whats everyone complaining about this is what its supposed to be.. Marleau should clearly be an assistant since he is 39, played 20 seasons in the NHL, unlimited playoff experience, previous captain.. young guys getting captains are always weird to me.. and babcock is old school.

FYI, A stands for Alternate, not Assistant. They've been telling us this for decades.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
People who state letters are not important are the same ones who state that Mathews has to be the captain, it is his team, he is the face of the franchise nonsense.

Letters are far more important to the players then any of the naysayers think. It is not a media driven concept but a NHL rule. You must have letters on jerseys according to league rules or else the ref does not have to talk to any player who is questioning a call or being sent from the coach to talk to the player. In many levels of hockey a ref may give the team a delay of game penalty who attemps this.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You simply like to post nonsense with out a thought process. It was not a simply disagreement his parents were involved. You do not put a letter on a player who still has his parents involved in his adult life.

I also said he has not resigned with us yet but you choose to ignore that portion of my post.
the non sense is since you coach you believe every decision a coach makes should obeyed without question

and it takes 2 to negotiate a contract and if they're going to squeeze him like they're squeezing Willie i see another long protracted negotiation

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Because he is the face of the franchise? Our best player? Turned the team around? I don't really have an issue with rolling with these three but "why give Matthews a letter at this point"? The answers are a hell of a lot more valid than your reasons not to.
Really what is more valid then him not yet been resigned. I will await your reply.

He never turned the team around. Management did that. Our best player that is open for debate. Our face of the franchise again time will tell if he is.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Really what is more valid then him not yet been resigned. I will await your reply.

He never turned the team around. Management did that. Our best player that is open for debate. Our face of the franchise again time will tell if he is.

Okay on second thought I'm just not going to waste my time on this.

Reactions: Schooner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad