Babcock IV (undermining the GM and depth issues?)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
There's a pretty big difference between calling out your players' efforts (something the players themselves have total control over) and suggesting that the depth you have available to you isn't good enough (something the players themselves have 0 control over).

I don't see the big difference. First of all, it's notnlike Babcock's statement was wrong... Secondly, both could be used to motivate the team to prove the coach wrong.

Reactions: Dark Crusader

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't see the big difference. First of all, it's notnlike Babcock's statement was wrong... Secondly, both could be used to motivate the team to prove the coach wrong.
You don't see the big difference between "You're not giving me your best" and "Your best isn't good enough"?

If Babcock is using "You're not good enough" as his motivational approach for this team, I've been wrong about him from the start.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
As was I. Not many on here wanted him. It was Hanifin or Strome for most. Some wanted anther D man. Most wanted a center.

Ahhh the good 'ol days...

I liked Marner and Hanifin.

Feel like I hit the ball out of the park on this one (from March 2015):

If Marner is drafted by Toronto and is a better winger at the pro level than Strome is at the centre position then Toronto wins.

#1 LW/RW > #2C

This is ultimately what I feel is in the cards here.

Dylan Strome or Mitch Marner

Reactions: diceman934

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You don't see the big difference between "You're not giving me your best" and "Your best isn't good enough"?

If Babcock is using "You're not good enough" as his motivational approach for this team, I've been wrong about him from the start.

How is any different than questioning a players compete or will to win?

They're all confrontational....

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
How is any different than questioning a players compete or will to win?

They're all confrontational....
I already explained how it was different - One is something that the players themselves can adjust and control, while the other is not.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Muzzin it isn't perfect but..... (who says that after your GM trades for a very good d-man?)
If our GM can help us at the deadline....... (again, really?)
We don't have the depth others do...... (lots of depth, and even if were true, you don't say that publicly)
Other teams don't have to overplay guys..... (I don't even know what he meant by this - the only guys he overplays are guys he shouldn't)
I didn't think I gave our team with that lineup as good an opportunity as I might have wanted ( Awwww did Dubas ask you to play someone you didn't want to? Again, who says that publicly?)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I already explained how it was different - One is something that the players themselves can adjust and control, while the other is not.

I don't see it that way... Just because you say or think you don't have adequate depth doesn't mean your depth guys can't get better...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babcock reportedly was pushing for the Leafs would have taken Hanifin in the 2015 draft over Marner.

Folks should let that sink in before they start to advocate allowing Babs to make GM level decisions for this roster
Prime reason why he needs to stay in his own lane.

Reactions: Koolboss

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Because I don't see a single other ****ing coach in the entire league calling out his roster make-up like that. Not a single one. It's not normal to say stuff like this.

Tocchet says stuff to the reporter in Arizona all the time. Same with the guy in Florida and his reporter

Reactions: moon111 and ACC1224

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Prime reason why he needs to stay in his own lane.

Although I agree with this sentiment, I think it's fine for a coach to have a preference....

Additionally, I dont think CAR handled Hanifin's development the best they could have. Hed probably be a better player if given the opportunity to develop properly.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't see it that way... Just because you say or think you don't have adequate depth doesn't mean your depth guys can't get better...
“But the thing about a team is you have 23 spots and your minor-league team, and you’re supposed to build the best program you can and have as much depth so you don’t miss people.
“If you have enough, you don’t miss a beat … There’s other teams that have done a better job, with players out, than we have in moving forward.”
That doesn't sound to me like a guy who's got a lot of faith in his depth guys simply getting better. That sounds more to me like a guy who doesn't think his team's system/program is where it should/needs to be.

I've made it no secret that I've liked Babcock so far in his tenure here, nor have I made it a secret that I believe there's still plenty of development left to be done for us to be as good a team as we can be - Having said all of that, the highest-paid coach in the League complaining about the depth available to him on this roster is a load of bullshit, regardless of who it's directed at.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This is awefully specific. Calling out your players is also questioning your roster composition. Both coaches indicated some players on the roster were a problem.

I think Babcock said it on a Monday, so anything you find must also have been said on a Monday (or Tuesday if before noon)

Reactions: MyBudJT

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Share some examples please.
9nohQh4.jpg

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
Babcock reportedly was pushing for the Leafs would have taken Hanifin in the 2015 draft over Marner.

Folks should let that sink in before they start to advocate allowing Babs to make GM level decisions for this roster

I don't have to advocate for shit. I know that all coaches have some input into the type of players they want to coach. This isn't some surprise or anything. Muzzin is pretty much all Babcock..He told Dubas to get him that kind of player and Dubas did. Now i haven't decided whether i like him or not(Muzzin) but he has done ok so far...Does some things quite well(along the wall, hits, doesn't get nervous very often) and other things not so much(poor skating might be his biggest weakness, sometimes out of position but that might be due to the fact we play much faster than LA).

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Babcock needs to go, this will become even more apparent when we get bounced in the 1st round for the 3rd straight season this April...but he won’t be and we’ll go round and round getting bounced in round 1, it’ll be a new form of misery Leafs fans will have to put up with, first it was years and years of no playoffs and now it will progress to years and years of 1st round exits.

Babcock is stale, he still coaches like it’s 2009.

Reactions: LindrosLeafs88

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
That doesn't sound to me like a guy who's got a lot of faith in his depth guys simply getting better. That sounds more to me like a guy who doesn't think his team's system/program is where it should/needs to be.

I've made it no secret that I've liked Babcock so far in his tenure here, nor have I made it a secret that I believe there's still plenty of development left to be done for us to be as good a team as we can be - Having said all of that, the highest-paid coach in the League complaining about the depth available to him on this roster is a load of bull****, regardless of who it's directed at.

I think you're looking into this too much. I think we all say things that can be misinterpreted and not represent our actual thoughts and beliefs. I don't see Babcock complaining, but moreso just speaking his thoughts.

If you actually watch the interview and not read the quote, what he said was a lot more innocent than what is being made of it. There was no malice, he wasn't putting blame on anyone ... he waswtalking more about 'in an ideal world' kind of way.

I'm starting to wonder if people watched the whole interview or not, and understand the quote in it's context.

I encourage people to watch the I interview in full.... Not sure if you can then say with a straight face that Babcock was taking shots at the GM...

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As was I. Not many on here wanted him. It was Hanifin or Strome for most. Some wanted anther D man. Most wanted a center.
Yeah I recall putting out the thought that he could be more impactful than Eichel.
Many minds were lost on that one, :laugh:

Reactions: diceman934

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I think you're looking into this too much. I think we all say things that can be misinterpreted and not represent our actual thoughts and beliefs. I don't see Babcock complaining, but moreso just speaking his thoughts.

If you actually watch the interview and not read the quote, what he said was a lot more innocent than what is being made of it. There was no malice, he wasn't putting blame on anyone ... he waswtalking more about 'in an ideal world' kind of way.

I'm starting to wonder if people watched the whole interview or not, and understand the quote in it's context.

I encourage people to watch the I interview in full.... Not sure if you can then say with a straight face that Babcock was taking shots at the GM...

I hadn't seen the full interview, no. Having watched it now, it doesn't really seem like anything was taken out of context in the tweets, though none of the tweets mentioned his line about having good players, which is certainly nice to hear.
He's still saying that what he has available to him right now isn't where it should be, which I'm not a fan of, but he also isn't freaking out about the state of things the way some folks around here have been during this stretch.

Again, I like Babs, and I think he's a real smart guy - Our program, and our ability to bring in cheap NHL depth, however, has been pretty solid (at least in my opinion) and I don't think it's right to call that out in this situation in any capacity, whether he's taking shots at anyone or not. We've got really good players, and he's a really good coach - Let's focus on making the 23 guys we have better, not wishing we had better players. It seemed like he started doing more of that towards the end of the scrum, so I appreciate you posting the video.

Reactions: Buds17 and MyBudJT

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I've made it no secret that I've liked Babcock so far in his tenure here, nor have I made it a secret that I believe there's still plenty of development left to be done for us to be as good a team as we can be - Having said all of that, the highest-paid coach in the League complaining about the depth available to him on this roster is a load of bull****, regardless of who it's directed at.
Yeah, the re-build isn't there yet. Lack of quality depth is now the 'pain'.

Reactions: egd27

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, the re-build isn't there yet. Lack of quality depth is now the 'pain'.
The pain for me is the lack of effort throughout a 20-man roster night-in/night-out.

It's something that I believe will get better with experience, so I'm not worrying about it too much (yet) - But it's a little painful to know how much better we could be if we brought our best effort more consistently.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad