Babcock IV (undermining the GM and depth issues?)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nobody was asking what other people's opinions were.... We were asking why that opinion exists....

I think it's mostly you actually but I haven't the entire thread so perhaps there are others.

I think the quotes speak for themselves and don't need any further explanation but hey, that's just me. Well, me and a whole slew of other people but that's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions and it would be boring if we always agreed on everything.

Got it, you were providing proof of your opinion. :thumbu:

LOL, yes that I'm more than happy to do. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: ACC1224

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think it's mostly you actually but I haven't the entire thread so perhaps there are others.

I think the quotes speak for themselves and don't need any further explanation but hey, that's just me. Well, me and a whole slew of other people but that's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions and it would be boring if we always agreed on everything.

LOL, yes that I'm more than happy to do. :laugh::laugh:

If someone asks you to rationalize or explain your opinion, simply stating "well other people have the same opinion" isn't really an adequate or intelligent answer.

Nithannial gave a good answer.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lou had permission to speak to the Islanders ownership regarding a job.

Shanahan has no idea he was going to start recruiting Tavares to say before he even had the job title.

What Lou did was wrong.

“Larry Brooks reports that neither Islanders GM Garth Snow or LeafsPresident Brendan Shanahan were aware of the agreement for Lou Lamoriello to talk to John Tavares about his status ahead of free agency before Lamoriello officially left for the Islanders organization.

The deal between the Islanders and Maple Leafs that allowed Lou Lamoriello to talk with John Tavares even while the exec was still under contract as a senior adviser to Toronto was orchestrated by ownership, Slap Shots has learned.

It is believed that neither Islanders’ then-president and apparently still-GM Garth Snow nor the Maple Leafs’ president Brendan Shanahan was aware of the agreement. In fact, we’re further told that Snow and coach Doug Weight were kept out of the loop regarding ownership’s talks with Lamoriello while the two men were scouting at the World Championships in Denmark.”

Total snake move that didnt pan out.
Shanny knew.

Lou’s words: What transpired, from my understanding, is that sometime during the playoffs Scott Malkin, the majority owner of the Islanders, called [Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment chairman] Larry Tanenbaum and asked permission if he could speak to me once the season’s playoffs were over. Nothing was granted or seen at that point, to my knowledge,” Lamoriello explained. “And then once we finished the playoffs … both Larry and Brendan spoke to me and said that this call came in and what would be my thoughts on that. I said I really had none, would not even want to think about it at this point, as we’d just finished the season. I said I really had none, would not even want to think about it at this point, as we’d just finished the season. It just allowed it to be just put aside because at that time I wasn’t thinking of anything. I had made a commitment to Toronto, I understood what my commitment was, and was going to think towards that.”

“And then for whatever reason, those conversations I guess came again and again and Larry [Tanenbaum] spoke to me personally and I said I should talk out of respect to Mr. Malkin, and I did,” Lamoriello explained. “He spent quite a bit of time with me on the phone and then I met him in person and he really sold me on what his vision was, the commitment that he is giving and what he wants to do with the Islanders. He wanted me to come in and just take over the total hockey operations with no interference — and of course, that’s music to my ears. It just made me feel that this something I should consider. End Lou’s talking.

The Islanders not telling they asked Lou if he wanted the job and not telling Snow or the coach has nothing to Do with Lou at all and your attempt at passing it off as something Lou did wrong is a joke.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't know why you wouldn't interpret interpretation #2 unless you already dislike Babcock.

Because I don't see a single other f***ing coach in the entire league calling out his roster make-up like that. Not a single one. It's not normal to say stuff like this.

Reactions: Zach X 23

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
You're probably not looking very hard, then...

If you can provide me with two quotes within the same month or even the same season by an NHL coach this year or last year which calls out his entire roster construction (not calling out single players but calling out the depth of the team or something), then I'll admit I'm wrong and eat my words.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If you can provide me with two quotes within the same month or even the same season by an NHL coach this year or last year which calls out his entire roster construction (not calling out single players but calling out the depth of the team or something), then I'll admit I'm wrong and eat my words.

That was easy

Hitchcock calls out Oilers: 'Coaches can't want it more than the players'

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gallant-calls-golden-knights-lack-passion-season/

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Media and fans making too much about nothing. The team is playing poorly and once again everyone is making it as the sky is falling.

Everyone will shut up, including Kyper once the Leafs start winning and playing better. As the past 2 games have shown.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If someone asks you to rationalize or explain your opinion, simply stating "well other people have the same opinion" isn't really an adequate or intelligent answer.

Nithannial gave a good answer.

If you think that's all I said on the subject then you're not paying attention.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Both those quotes are of coaches calling out the players and their commitment level, not roster construction and depth.

Sorry, you gave me a lot of rules to abide by and I'm working too... Lol

I don't think Babcock was calling out our roster construction... He was calling out our depth... Which is probably even more specific to defense and goaltending

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

Nope, you're completely wrong on this. Babcock called out the fact that the team doesn't have depth, he called out the roster construction.

Hitchcock and Gallant both called out how their team is playing "we don't want it enough, we aren't skating hard enough, etc". If Babcock had said stuff like this then I have no problem, that's just calling out players which is fine. He however went after the roster construction so he's calling out the GM.

Again like I said, find a single coach who has called out the roster construction twice within one season like Babcock just has (he also had that Muzzin acquisition quote which counts as a third one).

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Nope, you're completely wrong on this. Babcock called out the fact that the team doesn't have depth, he called out the roster construction.

Hitchcock and Gallant both called out how their team is playing "we don't want it enough, we aren't skating hard enough, etc". If Babcock had said stuff like this then I have no problem, that's just calling out players which is fine. He however went after the roster construction so he's calling out the GM.

Again like I said, find a single coach who has called out the roster construction twice within one season like Babcock just has (he also had that Muzzin acquisition quote which counts as a third one).

This is awefully specific. Calling out your players is also questioning your roster composition. Both coaches indicated some players on the roster were a problem.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
I think Babcock was spoiled having Lidstrom in Detroit. The Leafs defence, when healthy, is fine. Is it amazing? No, but it's not trash either. But the Leafs don't have one of the best d-men in the history of the league on their roster tilting the game significantly in their favour every time he's on the ice.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Babcock was spoiled having Lidstrom in Detroit. The Leafs defence, when healthy, is fine. Is it amazing? No, but it's not trash either. But the Leafs don't have one of the best d-men in the history of the league on their roster tilting the game significantly in their favour every time he's on the ice.

Babcock reportedly was pushing for the Leafs would have taken Hanifin in the 2015 draft over Marner.

Folks should let that sink in before they start to advocate allowing Babs to make GM level decisions for this roster

Reactions: CabanaBoy5 and IPS

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Regarding the bolded. I can see where it's not the best choice of words. My takeaway from it was the final handful or so of words though - "we're going to make it work". That's what it - and everything - will all come down to. The ability to make it work.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
or maybe you can connect the dots which would lead an open minded person to believe Mirtle wouldn't write that type of article if he knew it would piss off his good buddy Dubas and have his inside info cut off harming his career

i guess however it's much easier for some to just take a look at the sacred cow list and rag on the guy who's lower on it

and i'm wondering which one of Shanny or Dubas do you have at the top of the list ?

Did you even read the article in question?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Babcock reportedly was pushing for the Leafs would have taken Hanifin in the 2015 draft over Marner.

Folks should let that sink in before they start to advocate allowing Babs to make GM level decisions for this roster

Babcock's not the only one who likes him.

Why Noah Hanifin's six-year contract is (probably) a bargain - TheHockeyNews

Dubas probably would have given him $10 million a year though, and for that money I'd probably take Marner if it came down to it.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Hunter was on the Island by himself when he picked Marner. Let that sink in about Dubas as well. It cuts both ways. Hunter put his neck on the line with that Decision. People on here pass it off as a given. When that simply was not true.

Reactions: CelticDruid

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
This is awefully specific. Calling out your players is also questioning your roster composition. Both coaches indicated some players on the roster were a problem.
There's a pretty big difference between calling out your players' efforts (something the players themselves have total control over) and suggesting that the depth you have available to you isn't good enough (something the players themselves have 0 control over).

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hunter was on the Island by himself when he picked Marner. Let that sink in about Dubas as well. It cuts both ways. Hunter put his neck on the line with that Decision. People on here pass it off as a given. When that simply was not true.
Not by himself.....I was with him on that pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad