Babcock IV (undermining the GM and depth issues?)

Zach X 23

Mar 22, 2019
why interpret #1 unless you're a Bab-fanboy? It sickened me upon his hiring many gleefully gushing "We have the BESTIST coach!". I'd ask why they thought this & I'd get "cuz Babcock!"/"He IS!"/"cuz...Team Canada!".

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hunter was on the Island by himself when he picked Marner. Let that sink in about Dubas as well. It cuts both ways. Hunter put his neck on the line with that Decision. People on here pass it off as a given. When that simply was not true.
Hofford was huge on that pick too given his history with Marner (youth coach, worked with him at The Hill, scouted the GTHL for the Knights when Marner was picked). Not that I think Hofford was a great scout or even worthy of being an AGM.

Zach X 23

Mar 22, 2019
Because I don't see a single other ****ing coach in the entire league calling out his roster make-up like that. Not a single one. It's not normal to say stuff like this.
Yup...I wouldn't doubt many around the League (players, coaches, management) were snickering...Then again, I usually snicker when Babs opens his mouth!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Looks like Shanahan and/or Dubas told Babcock to STFU.

Looks like he taking things back so fine for now but this shit can't come up again.

Zach X 23

Mar 22, 2019
I don't see the big difference. First of all, it's notnlike Babcock's statement was wrong... Secondly, both could be used to motivate the team to prove the coach wrong.
Why say it though...I take it as having "political"/blame-shifting consequences: this very thread we're participating in is the proof.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Strangely enough, Tampa has actually ramped up their star's TOI in the 2nd half of this year.

Kucherov is averaging over 20 minutes a game in the 2nd half of this year, Hedman's averaging 23 minutes, Point and Stamkos are around 19 minutes.

Babcock's errors come with the support players. Marleau and Hyman play way too much. Tampa takes a more conservative approach with their support players. Their Marleau and Hyman equivalents (guys like Pacquette, Killorn, J.T Miller) are always below 15 minutes. Cooper will never up their ice-time at the expense of their superior players.

"
Babcock rides the top guys when the Leafs are chasing games and rides the defenders when they're winning. Because the Leafs aren't chasing many games, the top guys don't get ridden very often, and despite all that, they actually play more minutes than the big guns on the top2 teams in the league."

Sorry but you are absolutely wrong about this. Babcock does not do this, he still trots Hyman, Marleau, and Brown out for regular shiftss many games when we're trailing. Tampa does not do this. We do not use the same deployment they do when they're trailing.

If we're doing TOI comparisons I much prefer to do comparisons with Washington and Pittsburgh rather than Tampa because at this point, Tampa is so far ahead of the pack that they will obviously be using different methodology with their TOI deployment as far as developing their youngsters go, their youngin Cernak is actually 2nd in TOI in Tampa's last 30 games.

When we look at Pittsburgh and Washington, you'll find a very common trend. Their 4 best forwards always lead TOI, you'll find a stark drop-off in TOI from their 4th best forward to their 5th. Ours don't, we have Zach Hyman jammed in there getting more TOI than superior forwards. And our star players play less than theirs, you can go see it for yourself.
Is there a suitable left winger you have in mind for the JT line other than Hyman "the support player". I was unaware of a non-support player waiting in the wings

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I'm not saying loading up your stars is wrong at all, but the year they won it all Zetterberg was 28, Datsyuk was 30, Lidstrom was 38 and Ralfalski was 35. It's pretty clear our young core is not at that level of maturity that they can be deployed like that. Case in point, Matthews recent defensive zone faceoff struggles.

According to Puckbase over the last ten games Matthews has taken 36 defensive zone faceoffs winning more than 58% of them. In reality this is no more than a certain group of people continuing to harp about one game in which lost faceoffs in his own zone (something that happens to all Cs) led to goals against (again something that happens to all Cs).

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
No, no shot - nothing to see here...Only that the problem & solution does NOT belong to the coaching staff.

He isn't shifting blame thougj

Did you watch the interview to get full context?

Did you see Babcock's cments today clarifying the statement?

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Babs has a SC ring (and 3 SC final appearances). Gallant, the coach, I do not think so.
All in the last 10 years too, right? Or has he tried to do the same thing for 10 years through fundamental shifts in how the game is played with absolutely no success in the playoffs whatsoever?

It's the latter. He's trying to win playing a 10 year old style of game that no longer works.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think Babcock understands diminishing returns and more ice time doesn't mean more production or better results with more tired and less effective players, left out for longer shifts.

As Team Canada coach when he is loaded with talent and returning Gold Medal results, he still kept shifts short and TOI/g limited even for super stars..

More depth and better surrounding cast with elite players playing at high efficiency minutes seems to be his coaching method strategy of achieving success.
So he can coach an all-star team, but nothing else? Hmmmm.....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Seems like a simple fix to make all sides happy.

2 skilled lines.

3rd:?A Babcock line that defends really well. Aggressive, relentless forecheck, solid D.

4th: Young Marlies with skill learning the game.

Defense: Top 4 left/right, left/right

3rd pair, young Marlies with skill learning the game.

Maybe sometimes the simple line is better than the complex one.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
By doing a much better job of coaching?

Are you insane? He needs to do a better job of coaching?
  • His team sits SIXTH OVERALL and 1 point out of FOURTH OVERALL.
  • His team has the THIRD BEST GF/GA differential.
  • His team has the SECOND best away record in the entire league.

Why do people post stuff like you do? Just because you have an opinion, it does not mean you should share it. Maybe next time have a higher standard than an uneducated view point before you waste our time with tripe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad