Babcock IV (undermining the GM and depth issues?)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
IIRC, I didn't have a personal preference between the 3. If you held a gun to my head, I would have said Strome > Hanafin > Marner though :laugh:
Me I thought Marner was going to be a franchise player as he does things that are beyond good. His elite vision and passing skills as well as his high IQ and compete level had me sold. Second best player in the draft. Strome has great skills but his skating was a deciding factor to me and Hanifin I only watched him in a about 15 games I was always left with the same opinion, just what is it that people see in him. Lots of plays that left me scratching my head. A lot of tools but not able to use them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The pain for me is the lack of effort throughout a 20-man roster night-in/night-out.

It's something that I believe will get better with experience, so I'm not worrying about it too much (yet) - But it's a little painful to know how much better we could be if we brought our best effort more consistently.
Agreed.
I was referring to what may be Babcocks pain

Reactions: IBeL34f

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
9nohQh4.jpg
:laugh::biglaugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
just remember, because babcock seems to have forgotten it, but the one year Babcock won a cup:

Zetterberg 22:36
Datsyuk 21:40

Lidstrom 26:49
Rafalski 24:53

I'm not saying loading up your stars is wrong at all, but the year they won it all Zetterberg was 28, Datsyuk was 30, Lidstrom was 38 and Ralfalski was 35. It's pretty clear our young core is not at that level of maturity that they can be deployed like that. Case in point, Matthews recent defensive zone faceoff struggles.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I'm not one to complain about the Leafs every chance I get though. But the thing is, they all are NHL players, the Leafs have Holl who has played 9 games and is 27, Marincin who has played less than 200 games and wasn't good enough for Edmonton and Ozhiganov who hasn't played 50 games in the NHL yet. Then compare that to Boston's blueline where you have plenty of veterans and young guys capable of playing in the NHL. It's no contest who has better depth , I'm not sure why we're even debating who has better depth

Moore 505 games
Krug 457 games
Miller 321 games
Kampfer 195 games
McAvoy 109 games

vs
Marincin 196 games and failed at Edmonton
Holl 9 games
Ozhiganov 49 games

You're right, the Leafs have the exact same depth as Boston.
Krug, Miller, and McAvoy as depth pieces lol.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Because I don't see a single other ****ing coach in the entire league calling out his roster make-up like that. Not a single one. It's not normal to say stuff like this.
You are right. I remember few (Trotz, Tortorella ....) did call out their roster make-up. Unlike Babcock, they did in a different way. Anyway, ray ferraro said Babcock had "the grass is always greener on the other side" hallucination :popcorn:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Sorry, you gave me a lot of rules to abide by and I'm working too... Lol

I don't think Babcock was calling out our roster construction... He was calling out our depth... Which is probably even more specific to defense and goaltending
Everyone and their dog know Babcock is calling out the GM. He started to doing that (back up, RHD, system.... ) since Leafs had a new GM.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Everyone and their dog know Babcock is calling out the GM. He started to doing that (back up, RHD, system.... ) since Leafs had a new GM.

I'm just going to refer you to this post. If you haven't already, PLEASE watch the interview... And see for yourself that it's not as bad as you're mak ng it out to be
I think you're looking into this too much. I think we all say things that can be misinterpreted and not represent our actual thoughts and beliefs. I don't see Babcock complaining, but moreso just speaking his thoughts.

If you actually watch the interview and not read the quote, what he said was a lot more innocent than what is being made of it. There was no malice, he wasn't putting blame on anyone ... he waswtalking more about 'in an ideal world' kind of way.

I'm starting to wonder if people watched the whole interview or not, and understand the quote in it's context.

I encourage people to watch the I interview in full.... Not sure if you can then say with a straight face that Babcock was taking shots at the GM...

Leafsguard

Feb 1, 2018
The diffrence between a coach and a GM, the coach thinks about the here and now, GM has to think of the here and now and the future. The over all depth of the team is better then its been in years however not all of the kids on the Marlies are ready.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
When Babcock signed in Toronto Lou was the General Manager and it's likely Babcock has great respect for Lou . Now Lou is gone maybe Babcock doesn't have much interest in being the coach for the Leafs and a General Manager like Dubas who he might not respect at all . Wouldn't be surprising after the season during the summer if Babcock resigned as the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs . Then signing to coach another team before the season starts .
Pretty sure they signed Babcock before LouLam when Dubas/Hunter were splitting GM duties

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
nope just using logic. People including our media like Bryan Burke seem caught off guard by Babcocks comments and confused why he would bring trade deadline issues up "now" right before the playoffs start. Yet there is an easy to spot reason staring them right in the face. If they're willing to see it.

Burke gets caught off guard every morning when he wakes up and looks in the f***ing mirror.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
His ineptitude handling our D is the least of my concerns really.

I’m more concerned with:
- his fwd lineups
- his inability to adapt to changes in-game
- his under-usage of the best player on the team
- constantly preaching “starting on time” yet the team comes out flat as a pancake most nights
- his dump and chase style of hockey ... just brutal to watch and mostly ineffective
- his constant line-matching. Rather than making the other team adjust you’ll see Matthews pulled with a 15 second shift primarily to match lines
- his ego (not trying Matthews with Mitch for 2.5 years? Come on man)
- the teams defence is almost as shaky as when he got here, only with much better personnel
- his philosophy of putting a plug with 2 skilled guys. Skilled guys can’t forecheck and/or share the puck?
- his love of the gud pros ... no matter what their spot in the lineup is a guarantee

His work with Kadri and Reilly to improve them as players is one thing I’ll give him credit for, but these guys were drafted 5th and 8th overall so it’s not like he’s some great teacher of skill.

Babs contract has him safe for this year and next, but if he keeps openly criticizing the GM or giving snarky replies with respect to the team, while still not coaching the team to any measurable improvement I expect Shanny will fire him after next season.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Krug, Miller, and McAvoy as depth pieces lol.
I'm not sure what your point is here. All I was saying is that the Bruins simply have better defensive depth overall than the Leafs and that to suggest the Leafs injuries shouldn't be an "excuse" for their poor play because Boston was able to succeed is a pointless comparison because of how good Boston's depth is. The names I brought up were pretty much every player not named Chara, it wasn't an indicator of who I think were 5-6 defencemen by any means. I was simply showing that they had NHL caliber players on their blueline , while the Leafs with Holl , Ozhiganov and Maricin simply were not.

look how much deeper the Leafs are at forward
Tavares, Kadri, Matthews, Marner, Nylander
vs
Wagner, Nordstrom, Kuraly, Acciari

Boston's depth isn't even close, wow
You misinterpreted my post. I wasn't saying those players were bottom pairing defencemen . I was saying that Boston in general have more depth than the Leafs do as evident by having injuries to their blueline and still playing well. I'm saying they were built better defensively than the Leafs are I'm not sure whats so outrageous about saying that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gotta love the Burke interview today....'if this was my team'...

It was you team, you screwed it up.

I can’t imagine anymore less in touch with how the Leafs should be managed than a guy like Burke.

Maybe Nonis or Chia, but that’s definitely the bottom of the barrel

Last edited:

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I'm not sure what your point is here. All I was saying is that the Bruins simply have better defensive depth overall than the Leafs and that to suggest the Leafs injuries shouldn't be an "excuse" for their poor play because Boston was able to succeed is a pointless comparison because of how good Boston's depth is. The names I brought up were pretty much every player not named Chara, it wasn't an indicator of who I think were 5-6 defencemen by any means. I was simply showing that they had NHL caliber players on their blueline , while the Leafs with Holl , Ozhiganov and Maricin simply were not.

You misinterpreted my post. I wasn't saying those players were bottom pairing defencemen . I was saying that Boston in general have more depth than the Leafs do as evident by having injuries to their blueline and still playing well. I'm saying they were built better defensively than the Leafs are I'm not sure whats so outrageous about saying that.
Maybe I just misinterpreted. Seemed odd to compare the Leafs depth as Holl, Marincin, Oz with probably 3 of the 4 best of McAvoy, Krug, Miller on the Bruins.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Maybe I just misinterpreted. Seemed odd to compare the Leafs depth as Holl, Marincin, Oz with probably 3 of the 4 best of McAvoy, Krug, Miller on the Bruins.
Well, maybe I could have written it better so to that, I will apologise for not making it as clear as I could have.

Zach X 23

Mar 22, 2019
Completely disagree with you on this 1. Fragile-ego guys are the power & control freaks and do whatever to protect said fragile-ego. If there is to be a demise, you have your pre-made excuse..."GM didn't give me the National Team roster!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad