Speculation: Babcock discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
While this is an interesting spectacle, I'm not a fan of the buffalo media going there and ******** all over Babcock and Toronto's presser. It feeds the perception that Buffalo is a loser town.

Whether it makes you uncomfortable or not. They asked legit questions in light of what the Buffalo reporter's sources told them about the situation.

I find it odd how upset some are getting about this. We are literally a day past what transpired. It would be irresponsible if our press didn't ask questions to get to the bottom of things.

Now if the press is still carrying on about it next season like Bucky does over Patty L. as an example. Then we are in embarrassing territory.

Sound_n_Fury

Apr 3, 2005
This is what I'm worried about too. Buffalo has been looking like amateur hour lately with all this emotional bull crap. They're good about keeping the leaks about trades and draft choices from getting out, but horrible with in all other areas, leak-wise. Time to get their **** together in that regard.

Bupkis. One man's 'emotional' is another man's 'passonate.' The fact that Buffalo got played by Babs and Shanny should be a story. And the Sabres being angry is way better to me than if they just shrugged their shoulders and said, "nevermind."

If the homer Canadian press had any balls, they'd be asking that question about "why did you get well into contract $$$ with Buffalo over the weekend if you were always coming to Toronto?"

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
I have to think if media basically had Babcock and Toronto a done deal and he switched to Buffalo at the last minute, you'd be damn well sure Toronto media would attend the Buffalo press conference.

Uhhhh... they really wouldn't. And they wouldn't be asking those embarrassing questions, but whatever.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
So I think I should start a thread on main board.

Is the Toronto Front Office Unprofessional?

They had Bucher in a meeting when Babcock called... Left that meeting to take his call. Seems pretty unprofessional to me. To top it off...they leaked it to the Press. That's just cold.

unethical imo

Durkin67

Bupkis. One man's 'emotional' is another man's 'passonate.' The fact that Buffalo got played by Babs and Shanny should be a story. And the Sabres being angry is way better to me than if they just shrugged their shoulders and said, "nevermind."

If the homer Canadian press had any balls, they'd be asking that question about "why did you get well into contract $$$ with Buffalo over the weekend if you were always coming to Toronto?"

ANSWER: Because BUF was a legitimate consideration. He saw merit in coming there, but ultimately chose what he thought works best for his situation.

Again, he didn't receive a modified offer from Shanny.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Why does it feel like the sabres organization is sporting two shiny black eyes right now? There is nothing substantiated here, but these past two days feel like pretty dark days for this organization.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012

If you paid attention, he wasn't "always coming to Toronto." He said he had reservations about the team vision and near future, and that his first thought was (and this is a direct quote), "No way am I going to the Maple Leafs."

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
It's time to move on. If Babcock wanted to go to the Leafs then fine. He was a free agent and could pick his spot.

Personally, I think Buffalo avoided a disaster here. 8-9 years for a coach who is wired to win right now with a team that is still collecting their top pieces through the draft wasn't going to jibe in my opinion. The Leafs organization shut up the fans and bought themselves a couple more years by bringing in the rockstar.

I think Babcock is a great coach with a giant ego who doesn't believe in being patient, he wants to win yesterday. 3-4 years from now would be when Babcock coming would make sense but you can only get him when he is available which is now. I don't see him as the be all end all of coaches though and there are plenty of quality ones available or about to become available. GMTM needs to take his time and find the best fit for this team at this time, not the sexiest or biggest name just to make a splash. Someone is going to luck into a fantastic position here with top end young talent and an owner willing to help push this team towards a Cup.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Harrington just tweeted quote "in the end i couldn't make it go for my family."

Maybe that's all it is.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I find it quite humorous that leaf fans coming to a Sabres board to talk about their head coach are wondering why Buffalo media is going to a Toronto press conference to talk to the leafs head coach.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Whether it makes you uncomfortable or not. They asked legit questions in light of what the Buffalo reporter's sources told them about the situation.

I find it odd how upset some are getting about this. We are literally a day past what transpired. It would be irresponsible if our press didn't ask questions to get to the bottom of things.

Now if the press is still carrying on about it next season like Bucky does over Patty L. as an example. Then we are in embarrassing territory.

Was the Detroit media there?

Durkin67

Harrington just tweeted quote "in the end i couldn't make it go for my family."

Maybe that's all it is.

Precisely. Nothing insidious or diabolical about it. Both situations offered something other than money that resonated with him. He just did what any husband would do.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Hearing Harrington and Babcock have to answer about Buffalo in the presser, so cringe. I know most of Buffalo won't understand. This has been an embarrassing 24 hours for everything involved with the Sabres.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Precisely. Nothing insidious or diabolical about it. Both situations offered something other than money that resonated with him. He just did what any husband would do.

Note the "maybe." still looks wicked fishy.

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
It's time to move on. If Babcock wanted to go to the Leafs then fine. He was a free agent and could pick his spot.

Personally, I think Buffalo avoided a disaster here. 8-9 years for a coach who is wired to win right now with a team that is still collecting their top pieces through the draft wasn't going to jibe in my opinion. The Leafs organization shut up the fans and bought themselves a couple more years by bringing in the rockstar.

I think Babcock is a great coach with a giant ego who doesn't believe in being patient, he wants to win yesterday. 3-4 years from now would be when Babcock coming would make sense but you can only get him when he is available which is now. I don't see him as the be all end all of coaches though and there are plenty of quality ones available or about to become available. GMTM needs to take his time and find the best fit for this team at this time, not the sexiest or biggest name just to make a splash. Someone is going to luck into a fantastic position here with top end young talent and an owner willing to help push this team towards a Cup.

Agree. Good post. Let's go on from this. I also agree not to just d.go after a big name but find the guy that fits this teams needs where they are now.

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
Hearing Harrington and Babcock have to answer about Buffalo in the presser, so cringe. I know most of Buffalo won't understand. This has been an embarrassing 24 hours for everything involved with the Sabres.

Don't agree. This is not an embarrassment at all.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Why does it feel like the sabres organization is sporting two shiny black eyes right now? There is nothing substantiated here, but these past two days feel like pretty dark days for this organization.

Why? I don't see any reason why we should feel bad.

Someone else had control of the situation. Pegula and the Sabres did everything they could and offered everything they could to get him. We were not entitled to Babcock because of Pegulabucks. Babcock made a choice, much in the same way Drury did. Family and "hometown" were major reasons. We're going off of media members' information with how the whole thing went down. There is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.

I honestly am dreading the press conference when Buffalo does hire their next head coach. I'll put money down that 1/2 of the press conference will be about this Babcock situation.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So I think I should start a thread on main board.

Is the Toronto Front Office Unprofessional?

They had Bucher in a meeting when Babcock called... Left that meeting to take his call. Seems pretty unprofessional to me. To top it off...they leaked it to the Press. That's just cold.

It was reported that Babcock was going to make his decision on Wednesday with everyone reporting that the Leafs were out of the running. Why wouldn't the Leafs be looking at a plan B right away? They were just covering their bases.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I don't buy it. Don't believe he used "we".

Babcock probably asked something like this:

"So when Mike Babcock is the Sabres head coach and wants to send Reinhart to Rochester will you listen to his advice Tim?"

:laugh: Dead on. He continued to use third person at the PC and it freaks me the **** out.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Don't agree. This is not an embarrassment at all.

In fairness, people who have no shame don't get embarrassed by much. I certainly thought it was embarrassing to Buffalo and the Sabres organization. I'm just hoping it's over and done with after today, and there's no more whining from the Sabres top brass. They've done nothing but whine all off season so far. They're certainly free to gripe in private - I would be - but to let all this crap out into the public after getting burned so hard, so publicly, doesn't look professional and is embarrassing all around.

And the Buffalo media just took their ***** show on the road, which is also embarrassing.

On a separate note, does anyone know much about Richardson, regarding coaching specifics? I'm reading through old articles now, trying to get a feel for him as a coach. I've been liking what I've been reading so far.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
In fairness, people who have no shame don't get embarrassed by much. I certainly thought it was embarrassing to Buffalo and the Sabres organization. I'm just hoping it's over and done with after today, and there's no more whining from the Sabres top brass. They've done nothing but whine all off season so far. They're certainly free to gripe in private - I would be - but to let all this crap out into the public after getting burned so hard, so publicly, doesn't look professional and is embarrassing all around.

And the Buffalo media just took their ***** show on the road, which is also embarrassing.

On a separate note, does anyone know much about Richardson, regarding coaching specifics? I'm reading through old articles now, trying to get a feel for him as a coach. I've been liking what I've been reading so far.

Tim Murray didn't like the big dog and pony show put on for the lottery, would have preferred to just be called and told they did not win. That's not whining. That's him being consistent with his character. Remember how he announced the Reinhart pick? Kept it simple. That's who he is.

The leak of the Sabres being "livid" is a little whining

From those two things, I'm not sure how you get "whine all off season".

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Why?

The Leafs never modified their original offer.

I don't think the leafs did anything fishy. But somehow yesterday reports came out that Buffalo was shocked because they were under the impression that a deal was done. What happened to create that situation isn't public knowledge, but it strongly suggests Babcock wasn't forthright in his intentions and communication. Why he would do that is also something we can't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad