Speculation: Babcock discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Truth will come out eventually.

What i don't get from the Buffalo side is why the media there is assuming Buffalo mgmt is being 100% honest? Is it likely Babcock told the Sabres these are the things I would need to sign in Buffalo. Sabres appeared to meet his demands, which gave him options. He chose the status of being the Maple Leafs head coach and the opportunity to live in Toronto instead of Buffalo. Sabres now trying to sound like the victim to get sympathy from the fans instead of getting criticism for failing to land the big fish.

Devil is in the detail, but to me this sounds like the Sabres misread the situation. I could get approached by several companies for a job. I can lay out my demands. If multiple companies meet those demands, I will choose preference. Babs picked Toronto. Buffalo media sounds really bad right now IMO. But who knows, maybe proof will come out that Babcock told the Sabres he was 100% coming there and then backed out last minute

You know, now that you mention it, I DO wonder how the Buffalo Sabres are feeling about this whole situation. :sarcasm: I wonder when we will hear from directly...;)

EDIT: and now we know...Got to love the media contorting things. It's so wonderful to have an open GM.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think this is winding to an end here, so I have some final thoughts

Babcock's whole "I didn't know" spiel is really disingenuous, especially when he talks about wanting to live the condo lifestyle in Toronto.

He and his wife must have talked about what they wanted to do WELL before he sat down and talked to Buffalo. I don't think anyone would go to their wife and say "Ok, do you want a big house in the suburbs of Buffalo or a Condo in downtown Toronto...you have to decide tonight because I picked an arbitrary deadline on national TV last week"

His family never wanted to live in Buffalo. Period. And he knew that going in.

I think the only real decision was whether or not he wanted to leave Detroit. If he did leave Detroit, based on what he said about 'empty nesters', there were very few cities they wanted to move to.

Did he use Buffalo to leverage a more favorable deal out of Toronto? Absolutely. Will he ever admit it? Nope. Did Shannahan and Babcock team up today to do a bit of spin control to paint Babcock in a better light? Absolutely.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Now this has really lost any connection to reality. Greg W at yahoo refering to the Sabres and their media proxies. Harrington is a Sabres lackey? :laugh:

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Tim Murray, "Not upset at Babcock, great process. No one in discussions leaked anything."

Tim Murray, "No deal done, we didn't expect him here until he signed a contract."

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Murray certainly doesn't sound annoyed or upset or anything. He's even laughed a couple times, which is weird for him. :laugh:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Now this has really lost any connection to reality. Greg W at yahoo refering to the Sabres and their media proxies. Harrington is a Sabres lackey? :laugh:
He's a fourth rate Bill Simmons who has to spend half of his time and budget trolling fanbases because Yahoo / the NHL is irrelevant.

For real, **** that guy.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Tim Murray, "Not upset at Babcock, great process. No one in discussions leaked anything."

Tim Murray, "No deal done, we didn't expect him here until he signed a contract."

He made a joke that Babcock didn't keep his word because he called him back a minute late.

Does this mean we can end the discussion about Babcock playing Buffalo, and all the media in Buffalo will finally stop posting nonsense & calling Babcock a liar?

Probably not... but one can hope.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Does this mean we can end the discussion about Babcock playing Buffalo, and all the media in Buffalo will finally stop posting nonsense & calling Babcock a liar?

That would be a question for Buffalo media, but you are probably correct and they won't stop. The bigger point is how do we get Murry to stop whining? Look at all the whining!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

But he said he would call him at 1130 and he called at him at 1133...LIAR!!!!!!!!

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
That would be a question for Buffalo media, but you are probably correct and they won't stop. The bigger point is how do we get Murry to stop whining? Look at all the whining!

how long until buffalo media starts saying "well, if Terry and TM were available to give us information, this wouldn't have been an issue."

Oh wait, that would require them to admit that their information was wrong :sarcasm:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Here's what probably happened with the Graham report:

Murray explained where he thought we were and where we ended up, and said something like "of course I'm bummed, you always want your plan A to work..."

Keep in mind, a relatively tame negotiation process according to the parties actually involved got reported in terms of "Buffalo's desperation" for what appears to be no other reason but narrative.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Hahahaha in his interview someone needs to sound bite

"When the mic is on my face I might end up saying crazy things"

Classic.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Harrington Bucky and Sully are pulling this crappie to get their readers fired up... this is nothing new.

Like Murray said.. they need a smoking gun.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

Yes, it's over. This was created by media and was crap. Even I believed it but I believe Tim Murray now. He also said this was not about power. He does not sound upset, more honored to have got to interview a coach of Babcock's caliber after finishing 30th.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Tim Freakin Murray ladies and gentlemen.

So glad this guy is ours ... I'll take him over Babcock.

There, I said it.

JackTheRipper

Feb 11, 2015
Really glad Murray did this interview. Hopefully this ends all the reports by TBN hacks that the Sabres were "livid" and "had a deal in place" and "the sabres got played" and that this is embarrassment to the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad