Speculation: Babcock discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Buffalo media shouldn't of even have been there.

It doesn't matter if they had agreed in principal on a contract. People have a right to change their mind. People have a right to feel slighted for him doing so. It's all a bunch of immature gossip created by Twitter.

Needs to die.

If he intentionally misled Buffalo so he could get a crazy offer and use that against the team be really wanted to go to, that's newsworthy.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The interesting thing to watch will be if Babcock tanks or not.

If not, then his presence could inhibit the Leafs from getting prime draft picks and make the rebuild harder.

If they are consistently drafting in the 5th to 8th slot, then he might be triggering the rumored out clause he has after the 5th year of the deal.

He doesn't have an out clause.

Also, Babcock mentioned the offer from the Sabres was larger.

Leafs2020

May 20, 2015
Moncton, NB, Canada

If not, then his presence could inhibit the Leafs from getting prime draft picks and make the rebuild harder.

If they are consistently drafting in the 5th to 8th slot, then he might be triggering the rumored out clause he has after the 5th year of the deal.

There is no out clause that's already been confirmed. Unless they fire him he's there for 8 years

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
While this is an interesting spectacle, I'm not a fan of the buffalo media going there and ******** all over Babcock and Toronto's presser. It feeds the perception that Buffalo is a loser town.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Not sure that your front office is handling things well though, with the McDavid freak out by Murray and the news leaking how mad they are. I think they should try to keep a tighter lip, it may project a bad image to others in the hockey world.. It was the same thing I hated about MacTavish as GM.

This is what I'm worried about too. Buffalo has been looking like amateur hour lately with all this emotional bull crap. They're good about keeping the leaks about trades and draft choices from getting out, but horrible with in all other areas, leak-wise. Time to get their **** together in that regard.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I won't lie it is a concern that it'll be harder to acquire top tier talent through the draft. But the lottery has changed now for the first three slots to be decided, plus Kessel and Phaneuf should bring back some good young talent in a trade.

Trying to lose isn't a sure fire route either, and would have negative effects like Edmonton. I don't expect Toronto to try that nor Buffalo with the young talent you guys have and is on the way. I expect both to try to more emulate Calgary with the effort they'll give.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Was he asked about an out clause today?

Yup. He said the Leafs wouldn't do an out clause. Leafs originally offered 10 years, Babcock dropped it to 8. That was the only change in offer from day 1.

Obviously nothing against you guys here, but the Sabres media invading our PC was kinda, unprofessional? But, I guess it's a media conference right? Not a Toronto media conference :laugh:

(Well, let me rephrase, the way they came in, making things negative on a day where a team was trying to introduce the coach to the fans, a very exciting day. There was a different way to ask the questions I guess)

Love the Toronto-Buffalo rivalry. From the years and years where we just couldn't beat you guys, to the line brawl, to this who crazy thing, it's certainly entertaining :laugh:

I hope you guys look at Guy Boucher. He'd be a very good coach for you guys. Has he been linked to you folks at all?

Cheers

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
A few thoughts:

#1. I have no problem asking hard questions. But the minute you say "so and so called you a liar" (when nobody from the Sabres has officially commented), you are making yourself look bad. Good luck getting media creds in Toronto again.
#2. Harrington's trying to get Babcock to **** on the Buffalo front office was laughable.
#3. My biggest regret about not getting Babcock is trying to see Bucky/Sullivan/harrington try to get a response out of him that he'd basically ignore. Which he did deftly when asked about specifics.

I do feel Babcock/Shannahan are doing a bit of revisionist history here in order to try to save face for Babcock.

Whats funny is they have already changed their tune once from "This is the same offer I got day #1" to "Well, it was a 10 year offer, originally, now its 8"

He led Buffalo on when he knew his family had no interest in moving there to get a better offer out of Toronto. Period. Buffalo is upset about it, some one is texting back and forth with media members which has fanned the flames a bit more.

Durkin67

If you listened to the press conference, it's been confirmed that the plan hasn't changed and the rebuild us still on for Toronto.

The other thing you take away from the personal interview with Babcock was that the Leafs never came back and offered more money. They never modified their initial offer. It was down to his overall comfort level with where he and his wife spend the next 8 years or more.

Had he chosen BUF, there would still be a long process before the Sabres get a sniff at success, and that doesn't change, regardless of who your new coach is. You're a slightly more promising version of the Oilers at this point with tons of raw talent, very little polished veteran pieces, no goaltending to speak of.

You got an owner committed to excellence and some nice prospects coming up. Tim Murray would be crucified in Toronto for his antics. Not a fan of his tactics...

He gambled by strip mining the Sabres of their talent in order to expedite the process of being competitive. He whined about not getting McDavid. They're all whining about Babcock choosing what he felt was a city that better suited his personal life and his ambition of making what he calls "Canada's team" competitive.

There's no foul play, no conspiracy. You got Jack freaking Eichel, and likely your choice of good coaches, and if Babcock is a man of questionable character, as so many here suggest, what did you really lose?

Last edited by a moderator:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Yup. He said the Leafs wouldn't do an out clause. Leafs originally offered 10 years, Babcock dropped it to 8. That was the only change in offer from day 1.

Obviously nothing against you guys here, but the Sabres media invading our PC was kinda, unprofessional? But, I guess it's a media conference right? Not a Toronto media conference :laugh:

Love the Toronto-Buffalo rivalry. From the years and years where we just couldn't beat you guys, to the line brawl, to this who crazy thing, it's certainly entertaining :laugh:

I hope you guys look at Guy Boucher. He'd be a very good coach for you guys. Has he been linked to you folks at all?

Cheers

Ahem, BUFFALO media. No Sabres reps were there.

And I have to think if media basically had Babcock and Toronto a done deal and he switched to Buffalo at the last minute, you'd be damn well sure Toronto media would attend the Buffalo press conference.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Buffalo fans have to deal with a few guys from The Buffalo News being unprofessional way more than once a decade. So, we don't feel that bad for you.

:laugh:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

(Well, let me rephrase, the way they came in, making things negative on a day where a team was trying to introduce the coach to the fans, a very exciting day. There was a different way to ask the questions I guess)

Cheers

I think the general consensus is we have very little interest in playing a 1-3-1 all the time. We need a coach who will allow our young guns to create instead of playing the 1-3-1 right from the first puck drop.

Bylsma's name has floated about a bit.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

When did he say this? I've heard nothing about it. Source?

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
If he intentionally misled Buffalo so he could get a crazy offer and use that against the team be really wanted to go to, that's newsworthy.

But this happens in business all the time. Heck, I've done it in job interviews.
The NHL is a business.
I don't see a big story here. The bottom line is that he wanted to be a Leaf more than a Sabre and subsequently, we'll all boo and heckle him appropriately.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ahem, BUFFALO media. No Sabres reps were there.

And I have to think if media basically had Babcock and Toronto a done deal and he switched to Buffalo at the last minute, you'd be damn well sure Toronto media would attend the Buffalo press conference.

Which is why I said nothing against you guys (in reference to fans and team).

Also, I'm not sure about that. Knowing Toronto media, they would be jumping all over Shanahan for not closing the deal, or it tying to say Shanny and Babcock's relationship is what caused all of it.

The Toronto Media, is a tabloid. Nothing more honestly.

Buffalo fans have to deal with a few guys from The Buffalo News being unprofessional way more than once a decade. So, we don't feel that bad for you.

:laugh:

Our media is bad too :laugh: this seems to be the once every 5 years they are willing to say positive things about us :laugh:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So I think I should start a thread on main board.

Is the Toronto Front Office Unprofessional?

They had Bucher in a meeting when Babcock called... Left that meeting to take his call. Seems pretty unprofessional to me. To top it off...they leaked it to the Press. That's just cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad