Awesome brawl in Bruins/Thrashers game

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Honesty....

I didnt think the Meyers hit was dirty....but he did take a shot in a lopsided game so......I am very, very happy with the response. I am glad we beat them on the scoreboard and beat them in the fights. The Bruins needed that type of thing to happen so I thank Meyer.

Also being honest...Meyer dived on the punch from Lucic. Anyone who disagrees has some real issues.

CLIFFY HOCKEY

Jan 27, 2008
Norton MA
That was a tiny sucker punch by Lucic, not half as bad as Walker vs Ward..or when Komo broke his stick over Lucic's face and didnt get a suspension.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Nice to see Stewart stand there with his hands in the air wondering WTF just happened when Meyer got popped.

Funniest part of the whole thing is ATL saying non fighters were on the ice...so when Boulton, Eager and Thorburn are there look out....Chara, Thornton and McQuaid will be happy to oblige I'm sure.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Long story short, because the B's never answered the bell for Savard....someone had to pay the price for a clean hit to the chest of one of there supposedly toughest players.

Makes as much sense as a Jack Edwards call.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
FYI to some people, Horton has 30 pounds on Kane and is still a teenager. Although, people must clearly respect him as a fighter if they don't expect Horton to be able to take him.

Atlanta wasn't exactly looking for this. This isn't part of their game. They don't hit much at all(with the exception of Meyers).

Wow, our very young skill guys wearing visors? Ya don't say! I never would have guessed. :facepalm:

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I got an issue with this.
Some of you feel the hit was not legal, some feel it was legal and many others are saying it was "high" but not to high (legal)

Many of those saying it was legal are also saying the Bruins were correct to react they way they did. I say ********.
Lets remove the names of the players here they are not important, why is it a guy who delivers a check that is legal has to fight to defend the hit? .

because when you try to level someone with a clean hit, be it borderline or not, expect a response.

can people be seriously injured on a clean hit?

yes.

do you see fights after most big clean hits? no.

do you see fights after clean hits where there was a pretty good chance the player getting hit could have been injured? yes.

live with it.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Long story short, because the B's never answered the bell for Savard....someone had to pay the price for a clean hit to the chest of one of there supposedly toughest players.

Makes as much sense as a Jack Edwards call.

awww, someones sore, huh?

want a tissue or three?

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
There are no more tissues, you guys and Jack Edwards used them all up after Savard got his clock cleaned.

I love that Little Freddy Meyer gets a good shot on Looch and your entire team has a meltdown, I think partially because the guy who actually gave Cooke what he deserved happened to be in the rink....and it kind embarrassed them a bit.

A small talented player nearly gets killed, these guys do nothing. But someone dares to touch Looch, and big Andy Ferrence and the rest of the crew is there to defend him.

Boston is just glad they finally beat someone up for something. Doesn't matter who, doesn't matter what they did. But ya did something. :handclap:

BreakAwayBergy

Aug 6, 2010
Maine

First off, it wasn't a clean hit. So yes, there is going to be a response.

Second, yes, this does, in a round about way, have to do with the Savard hit. Even if you were just trying to be snarky. ;) The Cooke hit(even if it had been a while) was one of the many incidents that led up to last weeks Boston-Media-Hate-Fest on the Bruins style of "keeping their emotions in check." Like a previous poster already said, the Thrashers were unlucky enough to be the team Boston played when they had a statement to make. Yeah, it was a high hit and no that response wasn't normal. But its just what the city of Boston wanted to see and the B's knew it.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Jack Edwards when fired up is a complete moron. The ATL announcers suck too though.

I don't have an issue with any of this. Meyer delivered the forearm to the face of Lucic and the Bruins responded as they should have. The fights weren't great, but at the same time I loved seeing the whole thing unfold. I can tell you that Freddy Meyer won't be getting up high on any B's the rest of the year. There are some teams in this league that would have had no response at the same time, which sucks.

Thank you Boston for being a team (especially Lucic) and thank you Atlanta for not backing down. That's some good old time hockey.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
First off, it wasn't a clean hit. So yes, there is going to be a response.

Second, yes, this does, in a round about way, have to do with the Savard hit. Even if you were just trying to be snarky. ;) The Cooke hit(even if it had been a while) was one of the many incidents that led up to last weeks Boston-Media-Hate-Fest on the Bruins style of "keeping their emotions in check." Like a previous poster already said, the Thrashers were unlucky enough to be the team Boston played when they had a statement to make. Yeah, it was a high hit and no that response wasn't normal. But its just what the city of Boston wanted to see and the B's knew it.

I have no problem with responding to a high hit. The problem I had was the shot Ference gave Meyer with two other guys on him and the shot Lucic gave him while the refs were holding him. And then Lucic jaws off to the Thrashers bench as he goes off the ice. That definitly makes you look like the tough guy.

Aaronxxx

Oct 12, 2009
atlanta
the bruins are now probably thinking "hey, we beat up the guy who beat up matt cooke for us, so if you think about it it's like we beat up cooke ourselves. hooray!"

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
There are no more tissues, you guys and Jack Edwards used them all up after Savard got his clock cleaned.

I love that Little Freddy Meyer gets a good shot on Looch and your entire team has a meltdown, I think partially because the guy who actually gave Cooke what he deserved happened to be in the rink....and it kind embarrassed them a bit.

A small talented player nearly gets killed, these guys do nothing. But someone dares to touch Looch, and big Andy Ferrence and the rest of the crew is there to defend him.

Boston is just glad they finally beat someone up for something. Doesn't matter who, doesn't matter what they did. But ya did something. :handclap:

same show at 11? or do you switch it up later?

if you want to live in candy land and keep chirping that all this was becuase of the Savrd/Cooke incident, well, then there really isnt much to discuss.

let us know when you come back to reality though, mmmmm kay? :handclap:

BreakAwayBergy

Aug 6, 2010
Maine
the bruins are now probably thinking "hey, we beat up the guy who beat up matt cooke for us, so if you think about it it's like we beat up cooke ourselves. hooray!"

Or maybe they are content with the knowledge that they just got 2 points. Every time I see a decent Atlanta fan post, some other Atlanta fan has to ruin it. :(

OkayIGiveUp

Tactileneck
Feb 10, 2010
The High Slot
The amount of homerism in here is rediculous. Freddy Meyer is 5 ft 10, and Lucic is 6 ft 4, how high can he possibly hit him? I know it was a little high, but to the point of calling it "cheap" or "dirty" is just crazy to me. Also, being an ATL fan makes me feel like a homer too, but trying looking at impartially, this goes to fans of both teams. Although the punch was probably not that hard that it deserved that sort of reaction from Freddy, but the fighting was over in the scrum, a linesman was holding Meyer and it was over. Still, I dont know how hard Looch hit him, and neither does anyone else, how can you guys gauge the impact of the punch from just watching a replay? Some say it was a tap, others say a full out haymaker. But Looch sucker punches him in the head, I see no way of defending what he did, absolutely classless. Wanna defend your players or your honour? Do it properly in a real fight, not just get three guys to swarm on one.

I hate the fact that any big hit on ANYONE seems to result in some sort of brawl. Its not like Meyer hit Savard or Bergeron; Lucic ain't exactly a soft player that can't handle himself, and I dont think it warranted that kind of reaction. Meyer's hit reminds me of old time hockey, just good open ice hits. No matter what happens, there will always be a couple fans who only see one side and won't even open up the fact that they are wrong. Still, good brawl between Horton and Kane, Horton's a tough cookie. Savard's fight seemed weird; he's too good to be risking his season on a useless brawl, even if he was just tackled to the ground, it could result in some damage. Can't wait to see these two go again, maybe this could be the spark of a new rivalry? That could be pretty awesome. I know B's fans will look at it from their perspective, and Thrash fans will too. But if you wanna debate the hit or the fight, do it. But some B's fans think they are smart by mentioning ATL's attendence because they are so creative, and some Thrash fans bring up other games against mtl and call Bruins soft when reacting to the Cooke hit which has nothing to do with anything. Both statements like these can make your post invalild and just show the true homerism.

I know that everyone sees the game differntly but ******* Edwards makes my blood boil. I used to enjoy his hyperbole and absolute homerism, until I noticed that he is 100% serious in his convictions. He'd be pretty funny to listen to if i didn't know how wrong he is on pretty much everything. If I was just listening I would think that Boston had a line of Muhammed Ali's fighting midgets.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The amount of homerism in here is rediculous. Freddy Meyer is 5 ft 10, and Lucic is 6 ft 4, how high can he possibly hit him? I know it was a little high, but to the point of calling it "cheap" or "dirty" is just crazy. Also, being an ATL fan makes me feel like a homer too, but take off the goggles for a second. Although the punch was probably not that hard that it deserved that sort of reaction from Freddy, but the fighting was over in the scrum, a linesman was holding Meyer and it was over. Still, I dont know how hard Looch hit him, and neither does anyone else, how can you guys gauge the impact of the punch from just watching a replay? But Looch sucker punches him in the head, I see no way of defending what he did, absolutely classless. Wanna defend your players or your honour? Do it properly in a real fight, not just get three guys to swarm on one. I hate the fact that any big hit on ANYONE seems to result in some sort of brawl. Its not like Meyer hit Savard or Bergeron; Lucic ain't exactly a soft player that can't handle himself, and I dont think it warranted that kind of reaction. Meyer's hit reminds me of old time hockey, just good open ice hits. No matter what happens, there will always be a couple fans who only see one side and Still, good brawl between Horton and Kane, Horton's a tough cookie. Savard's fight seemed weird; he's too good to be risking his season on a useless brawl, even if he was just tackled to the ground, it could result in some damage. Can't wait to see these two go again, maybe this could be the spark of a new rivalry? That could be pretty awesome.

I know that everyone sees the game differntly but ******* Edwards makes my blood boil. I used to enjoy his hyperbole and absolute homerism, until I noticed that he is 100% serious in his convictions, he'd be pretty funny to listen to if i didn't know how wrong he is on pretty much everything. If I was just listening I would think that Boston had a line of Muhammed Ali's fighting midgets.

Whoever his partner is, he does a hell of a job keeping his cool and trying to find a middle ground.(even when he knows Jacky boy can't fathom it):laugh:

Killroy*

The only things to take away from this fight and thread:

-Ferrence had his eye busted open.

-Savard turtled like a little girl when Little (who is a big tough guy btw) took him down. Savard shouldn't trying to fight with his scrambled egg brain.

- Lucic got a match penalty

Last edited by a moderator:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
As a Fan who has no real interest in this game otherwise, it was a good brawl.

I think the hit was a little high, but nothing worth starting this scale of fight over. Still enjoyable to watch.

In my opinion, huge dive by Meyer. Either that or he was shocked by the hit, cause he went down like he was tasered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad