Awesome brawl in Bruins/Thrashers game

BreakAwayBergy

Aug 6, 2010
Maine
Meh. Hit still looks highish to me after watching 2:30. But like OkayIGiveUp just said, the two sides are obviously going to see it differently. It we didn't it would make things a lot less interesting :). I also saw some fans on here saying Ference took a few cheap shots himself while down in the middle of that pile, hence the bleeding. Don't know the truth to those though. For what its worth, here are some quotes from the Bruins:

Ference Quote:
"I was following right behind so I had a really good view of it. The guy just put his stick and his hands right in Lucia's head," Ference said. "I saw it really clearly. It wasn't a clean hit at all."
Lucic Quote:
"It was a high hit, for sure. I was bleeding from the lip. After a hit like that -- that was the second time he's hit me cheap," Lucic said. "That's the second time. You can't give a guy a free pass too many times."

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I'm sure it has been pointed out, but every Thrasher involved in a scrap was wearing a sheild, and every Bruin was not.

Significant because Horton threw a shot that would have put Kane's lights out if he didn't have the visor catch it for him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
- Terrible call on Meyer. The guy has thrown questionable hits in the past, and this one is not one of them.

- Lucic was really lucky to avoid the 3rd man.

- Meyer kinda dived...

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm sure it has been pointed out, but every Thrasher involved in a scrap was wearing a sheild, and every Bruin was not.

Significant because Horton threw a shot that would have put Kane's lights out if he didn't have the visor catch it for him.

The Trashers were basically jumped, would you have expected them to drop their shields?!?!?!

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I can't believe this needs explaining but here I go. Little is 5'11, 23 years old, a skill player, and has never been in a fight. I'm sorry Savard is too old to have a visor. What do you expect Kane to take his helmet right in the middle of the fight? Yeah I don't think so. I'm glad to you fail to mention the shot Horton gave Kane when he was down. Yeah, real tough guy there for ya.

Btw, it's a good thing Ference was tough enough to take a shot at Meyers when he has 2 other guys on him because he got cut pretty bad by Anthony Stewert.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Meh. Hit still looks highish to me after watching 2:30. But like OkayIGiveUp just said, the two sides are obviously going to see it differently. It we didn't it would make things a lot less interesting :). I also saw some fans on here saying Ference took a few cheap shots himself while down in the middle of that pile, hence the bleeding. Don't know the truth to those though. For what its worth, here are some quotes from the Bruins:

Ference Quote:
Lucic Quote:

So Ference who was right there and Lucic who was the victim both thought it was cheap, that's good enough reason for me for the response. I thought it was awesome, the hit wasn't the bad but when a scrub like Meyer targets arguably your best forward's head with five minutes left in a three goal game, an old time brawl is never a bad thing.

Kaoz*

Meh, Thrashers were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bruins were fighting each other in practice before this game, and the fanbase demanding more had them pissed.

Personally, I'd like to see that response far more often, if anything Meyer is lucky it was Ference that got to him first. Lucic wanted a piece too and that would have just been silly. Enough of the Bruins taking questionable hits with no response, it's about time they threw more of those hits and responded to some of the weaker ones.

That said, Thrash handled themselves quite well I thought.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I like the fight, but all I can really think about is how god awful Edwards is.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
So Ference who was right there and Lucic who was the victim both thought it was cheap, that's good enough reason for me for the response. I thought it was awesome, the hit wasn't the bad but when a scrub like Meyer targets arguably your best forward's head with five minutes left in a three goal game, an old time brawl is never a bad thing.

Sucks to get rocked by a "scrub" that's 6 inches shorter then you when your supposed to be a big tough PF/grinder type of hockey player eh?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Sucks to get rocked by a "scrub" that's 6 inches shorter then you when your supposed to be a big tough PF/grinder type of hockey player eh?

:shakehead

so you are saying all 'smaller' people cant compete physicaly with anyone 'bigger' then themselves in any type of physical endeavor.

ya, you go kid.

Analyzer*

If there's anything everyone can agree on is that Edwards is terrible and that other guy with him has to have the most patience in the world. Plus he actually provides good insight into the game.

Meyer's hands do come up and do get close to Looch's face. Boston fans have a point, but not a very good one.

Also, Meyer did dive when Looch popped him. Looch shouldn't have, but Meyer still dove.

I don't know if it's because of the Savard hit, or what, but anytime a Bruin player is hit hard, another Bruin player comes over to challenge the hitee... It's good for the team, but some hits you gotta let go.

Still a great brawl. When's the next game between the 2 ?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
If there's anything everyone can agree on is that Edwards is terrible and that other guy with him has to have the most patience in the world. Plus he actually provides good insight into the game.

Meyer's hands do come up and do get close to Looch's face. Boston fans have a point, but not a very good one.

Also, Meyer did dive when Looch popped him. Looch shouldn't have, but Meyer still dove.

I don't know if it's because of the Savard hit, or what, but anytime a Bruin player is hit hard, another Bruin player comes over to challenge the hitee... It's good for the team, but some hits you gotta let go.

Next Thursday.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com

Next week. :)

It definitely looks like Meyer flopped. But there's one view from above where the punch looks a little harder. Meyer is a little guy, and Lucic is huge. I dunno. Still, Lucic doesn't really have an excuse here.

It was prob the most exciting fight the Thrashers have been in since Edmonton in 2006.

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com

Man, Kane's REALLY lucky he had that visor - as much as I do like Kane, Horton would have knocked him senseless if the visor wasn't there.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Great ending to a fun game to watch.

Some cliffs to the brawl
-Ference sticks up for Lucic and makes sure Meyer pays for a cheap shot
-Lucic although gave him a sucker punch, it was really barely a tap and a HUGE flop by Meyer
-Horton beat Kanes ass!!! that was awesome
-Savard getting into a fight was funny, although he got roughed around.

nice homerism, it was a quick hard punch from a guy who has force, even though he didnt wind up, a punch like that from a strong guy with rock hard hits is dangerous..

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
:shakehead

so you are saying all 'smaller' people cant compete physicaly with anyone 'bigger' then themselves in any type of physical endeavor.

ya, you go kid.

Someone 30 pounds lighter, 5 inches shorter and generally regarded as a lightweight should not be able to drop a monstrous player that prides himself on physical play and being a power forward... yet it happened and Looch got embarrassed.

straka91*

That was exciting, hit wasnt a headshot, close though.WTF was Savard doing lol. Hopefully NHL doesnt ruin the next time these 2 meet.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Man, people need to simmer down. My favorite part is the two fanbases whining back and forth and accusing posters on an internet chat forum that they had some sort of effect on this.
"You guys cheapshoted us!"
Time for some people to sleep off a tough game. You all played well and will be surely sore when you wake up but no worries! You have Christmas off so you can recuperate! :nod:

Ashe

Nov 27, 2007
Saskatoon SK
1) Lucic is making a move, He is actually looking to the left when he gets hit. Head down. What is Meyer going to do when he has to aim higher to get a good hit. Unfortunate for Lucic, Ferrance had to step in (Who was behind Lucic) And was resulted in a sucker punch.

2) Sucker punch : It was a sucker punch. If you get hit by a guy who is what? 230 and is a "power forward" And is known to scrap, Without expecting it, You would drop too. Looks like it hit the jaw

3) Lucic should of went for Meyer, not hidden behind Ferrance. Who came in and jumped Meyer. Its sticking up sure, But Lucic looked at the ref, there was no call and was up immediately.

Lucic plays dirty and gets away with far worse hits then this one. He can stop hiding behind the ref and stand up for himself if he cant take a hit.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
The fact of the matter is, nine out of ten times Boston is on the other side of that play, or one of their guys gets hit worse than that and nothing happens. On the other hand, line brawls have certainly been started over less. It's hockey, it happens. The Bruins are notorious for being overly passive this year and something has to give.

Also, on another note, how nice was the Thornton/Boulton scrap at the beginning of the game? One of the few 'staged' type of fights I can dig, they both acquitted themselves quite nicely and were throwing bombs the whole bout.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario

Ference Quote:
Lucic Quote:

Well from those quotes we now know why they fought.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Great sucker punch by Lucic...what a loser.

I so wanted Little to **** Savard up in that fight, but the knockout punch never came :(

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00